The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you keep in your bag? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100518-what-do-you-keep-your-bag.html)

UNIgiantslayers Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:25am

What do you keep in your bag?

I apologize if this has been discussed or is a weird question. I had a long drive after our game last night, and I was thinking of all the times I've learned of a new thing that needs to be in my bag. Usually I realize it should be in there when I don't have it and need it (i.e. baby powder, deodorant, rule book, extra whistle, etc.) I'm just curious if any of you have anything in your bag that you recommend for young officials to make sure they have. Thanks, in advance, for your input.

FYI, here's my inventory:
Extra whistle
Chap stick
Towel
Rule book
Baby powder
Deodorant
Hand sanitizer (I'm a germaphobe)
Water bottle
Watch (for the table if they don't have something for timeouts/DQ sub time)

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:30am

In addition to your list sans baby powder:

Pre-game binder.

Full backup uniform/shoes.

Towel for "D" (shower).

Clean underwear.

deecee Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:32am

A pacifier and swaddle blanket for coaches and players.

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 973103)
A pacifier and swaddle blanket for coaches and players.

No baby powder? :D

deecee Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:39am

Let them chafe.

dsqrddgd909 Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:41am

In addition to above
Pre-wrap and athletic tape
Athletic trainer scissors
Gum or mints
Pen
Moleskin
Band Aids

Rich Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:42am

I stopped carrying a bunch of extra crap a few years ago.

I carry a small bag of whistles and a small bag that has rule books and a magnetic court board.

I have a toiletry bag and a towel for those schools in the prehistoric area who can't be bothered to provide one for me.

Typically I carry that and what I wear and that's it.

A watch for the table? Not a chance. May as well carry a possession arrow while I'm at it.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:45am

My must haves in addition to the above, for both softball and basketball, are:
*extra shoelaces
*body spray (gotta smell good)
*lysol for my shoes (chest protector and shin guards)
*extra socks

I wish I had a cool signature

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973107)

I carry a small bag of whistles and a small bag that has rule books and a magnetic court board.

I have a toiletry bag and a towel for those schools in the prehistoric area who can't be bothered to provide one for me.

A watch for the table? Not a chance. May as well carry a possession arrow while I'm at it.

It's hit and miss with showers, much less towels, in the areas I work.

zm1283 Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 973109)
It's hit and miss with showers, much less towels, in the areas I work.

Same here. There are several smaller schools where we don't have a bathroom at all. No sink, toilet, or shower. We have to use a public restroom or a locker room when the kids vacate. Most of the bigger, newer schools have dedicated officials rooms near the court with everything we need.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 973112)
Same here. There are several smaller schools where we don't have a bathroom at all. No sink, toilet, or shower. We have to use a public restroom or a locker room when the kids vacate. Most of the bigger, newer schools have dedicated officials rooms near the court with everything we need.

what he said

I wish I had a cool signature

Raymond Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:58am

Quote:

Never, ever, ever had a HS provide towels to officials. We're happy if we have access to a shower that actually dispenses hot water.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:27am

Quote:

I'm kind of with Rich. I do put an extra uniform / shoes in a separate bag in the car. That way I don't have to carry it everywhere. I've never needed anything from it, but I have lent it out to partners.

Water? Baby Powder? Watch? No way.

Add ibuprofen, contact saline solution and a small sewing kit to the above list.

BigCat Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31am

Quote:

I never go anywhere without my spare possession arrow….

UNIgiantslayers Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 973125)
I'm kind of with Rich. I do put an extra uniform / shoes in a separate bag in the car. That way I don't have to carry it everywhere. I've never needed anything from it, but I have lent it out to partners.

Water? Baby Powder? Watch? No way.

Add ibuprofen, contact saline solution and a small sewing kit to the above list.

Water bottle. I've been to places that don't have a concession stand (MS games) and had no water so I threw it in. Baby powder to prevent undercarriage chaffage, and the watch has come in handy when HS kids are doing the table so that they don't need their phone (pet peeve). It all weighs a grand total of maybe 12 ounces, takes up zero room, and has come in handy. To each their own, I suppose.

I like the sewing kit idea. Also like the extra uni in the car, ibuprofen. Thanks for the input, guys.