The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I try to check if the official book, the visiting book, and the scoreboard all matches at the end of the quarters and at halftime. If there has been a lot of fouls during the first half, I will also have the books compare fouls to make sure everybody is on the same page as well. I have never checked on timeouts.

But on this issue of book and time keepers, I work with a lot of young, rookie officials (they like to team them up with the Old Man) and while they may be well versed on critical elements of the game such as proper headband colors, they don't have a clue about taking a few minutes prior to the game and checking with the table.

This is critical at the lower levels, where often, the scorekeepers and timers are not well trained ... or trained at all. Most rookie timers have no idea regarding the concept of "chopping" time. Twice I have had guys turn off the clock after every made basket.

Last week, somebody asked if it was proper to designated the visiting book as official. If the home book doesn't seem competent and the visiting book obviously is, I just ask if anybody minds if we switch. Never had an issue.

I also don't have a problem tossing somebody at the table if they are not doing their jobs. I figure if the kids are giving their best efforts, the officials are giving their best efforts, than the table can give their best efforts, too.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 01:27pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
*No, this wasn't a league game though being on a Sunday didn't have anything to do with that..
So, and correct me if I'm wrong, it appears we have a far more casual environment than your typical league game. If so, that makes this whole story very easy to believe.

I've run into this situation once, Y league, my rookie year. Coach A requests and is granted a time out. Coach B claims that time out is excessive. I go to the table, and the scorekeeper tells me, "I think it is too many." However, since the scorekeeper didn't keep a written log, I penalized nothing. I haven't seen this issue since.

We're taught to trust our partners. I believe that extends to the table, too. Besides, no-one blames the table when we kick a call, so no-one can blame the R and Us when there's a book error. It cuts both ways.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
...so no-one can blame the R and Us when there's a book error. It cuts both ways.
But they absolutely do!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 02:19pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But they absolutely do!
If we worried about what we could get blamed for, we'd never get anything done on the court.