The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA fashion police? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100439-ncaa-fashion-police.html)

Raymond Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 971496)
Sadly at the college level the fashion police is not as high a priority as we make it here on the HS level.

I don't find that unfortunate

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Dad Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 971513)
I don't find that unfortunate

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

This x100

walt Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:38pm

NCAAW last night, had three players roll down socks so the double logo on the socks wasn't visible. Hate being the fashion police.

scrounge Thu Dec 03, 2015 01:48pm

If I may....

Quote:

Sadly for those of us at the HS level,at the college level the fashion police is not as high a priority as we needlessly make it here on the HS level.

BillyMac Thu Dec 03, 2015 05:41pm

Do You Really Not Care Either Way ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971500)
I could care less what kids wear ...

Did you really mean to say, "I couldn't care less"?

And, if that's true, and you really don't care, and you have a choice to do it the right way, or the wrong way, and since you don't care either way, then why not just do it the right way instead of the wrong way?

Now, if you really do care, and you care in a way such that you want to demonstrate your hatred for such fashion rules, then go ahead and do it the wrong way. Take a stand.

And, if you really do care, and you care in such a way to enforce the rules as they are supposed to be enforced by the NFHS, and your state association, then go ahead and do it the right way.

We all have choices, but I hope that we don't just ignore the issue.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M86...=0&w=300&h=300

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Dec 03, 2015 07:30pm

A couple of weeks ago, I went to work a middle school girls game. Some of the girls kept their warm-ups on right up until the time that the starters came onto the floor for the opening tip.

One of the starters wearing a black uniform had on a light gray undershirt. I happened to be lined up right by her coach, WHO IS ALSO A REFEREE! I asked him why it was that we are half way through the season and we still have girls wearing illegal undershirts. His response was, "Because none of the officials have done anything about it." I turned to him and said, "No, it's because YOU haven't done anything about it. I'm pretty sure that if you sat her down in that chair on the bench right next to you, she'd ask why she wasn't playing, and when you told her, the shirt issue would be corrected." He said, "Yeah, but then we'd lose the game." I told him if I worked any more of his games this season, and she had an illegal undershirt, she wouldn't be allowed to play until it fixed. I also spread the word around to my fellow officials about the conversation I had.

I should note that this coach is new to this area -- 1st year in our association too. Needless to say, his excuse did not sit well with me AT ALL.

BillyMac Thu Dec 03, 2015 08:20pm

Similar In Color To The Uniform Jersey ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 971577)
One of the starters wearing a black uniform had on a light gray undershirt ... I told him if I worked any more of his games this season, and she had an illegal undershirt, she wouldn't be allowed to play until it fixed.

Maybe I'm confused, but if you knew the rule, and the coach knew the rule, then why wait until the next game? Why not instruct her, or have the coach instruct her, that she can't play in that game, that day, with an illegal undershirt? She doesn't have to take it off, but she can't play with it on.

BlueDevilRef Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 971565)
Did you really mean to say, "I couldn't care less"?

And, if that's true, and you really don't care, and you have a choice to do it the right way, or the wrong way, and since you don't care either way, then why not just do it the right way instead of the wrong way?

Now, if you really do care, and you care in a way such that you want to demonstrate your hatred for such fashion rules, then go ahead and do it the wrong way. Take a stand.

And, if you really do care, and you care in such a way to enforce the rules as they are supposed to be enforced by the NFHS, and your state association, then go ahead and do it the right way.

We all have choices, but I hope that we don't just ignore the issue.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M86...=0&w=300&h=300

Ok grammar police. You got me. I think the whole thing is silly and I would guess a lot of other officials agree. But, bc I want to do a good job, I enforce the rules. My statement about our city league is relevant bc I know I'm one of the few officials who do enforce the rules. It gets old being the bad guy but again, guess that is why we make the big dollars huh?

I wish I had a cool signature

JetMetFan Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52am

Quote:

Sadly at the college level the fashion police is not as high a priority as we make it here on the HS level.

Oh really? I can't speak for NCAAM but watch an NCAAW game and see if that's the case. To say our SRE is vigilant about uniform rules would be an understatement.

BillyMac Fri Dec 04, 2015 07:16am

Fight The Good Fight Of The Faith (1 Timothy 6:12) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971587)
... I want to do a good job, I enforce the rules. I'm one of the few officials who do enforce the rules. It gets old being the bad guy.

Agree, and well stated.

Coach: "Hey BillyMac. She was allowed to wear that Tuesday night. Why not tonight?"

And ... Scene.

Dad Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:00am

Quote:

A couple of weeks ago, I went to work a middle school girls game. Some of the girls kept their warm-ups on right up until the time that the starters came onto the floor for the opening tip.

One of the starters wearing a black uniform had on a light gray undershirt. I happened to be lined up right by her coach, WHO IS ALSO A REFEREE! I asked him why it was that we are half way through the season and we still have girls wearing illegal undershirts. His response was, "Because none of the officials have done anything about it." I turned to him and said, "No, it's because YOU haven't done anything about it. I'm pretty sure that if you sat her down in that chair on the bench right next to you, she'd ask why she wasn't playing, and when you told her, the shirt issue would be corrected." He said, "Yeah, but then we'd lose the game." I told him if I worked any more of his games this season, and she had an illegal undershirt, she wouldn't be allowed to play until it fixed. I also spread the word around to my fellow officials about the conversation I had.

I should note that this coach is new to this area -- 1st year in our association too. Needless to say, his excuse did not sit well with me AT ALL.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the coach's line of thinking.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about something that has no negative impact on the game.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Dec 04, 2015 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 971580)
Maybe I'm confused, but if you knew the rule, and the coach knew the rule, then why wait until the next game? Why not instruct her, or have the coach instruct her, that she can't play in that game, that day, with an illegal undershirt? She doesn't have to take it off, but she can't play with it on.

Point taken. This is what I should have done, and will do if it ever pops up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 971614)

I see EVERYTHING wrong with the coach's line of thinking. He knows the rules and should be properly instructing them.

When people ask me about the uniform rules, I tell them that when mom and dad are in the stands taking pictures, they should want the kids to look good in the photos. Everyone being properly uniformed helps this to happen. :rolleyes:

Dad Fri Dec 04, 2015 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 971682)
Point taken. This is what I should have done, and will do if it ever pops up again.

I see EVERYTHING wrong with the coach's line of thinking. He knows the rules and should be properly instructing them.

When people ask me about the uniform rules, I tell them that when mom and dad are in the stands taking pictures, they should want the kids to look good in the photos. Everyone being properly uniformed helps this to happen. :rolleyes:

What does this have anything to do with knowing the rules and instructing them?

What you want doesn't matter; what the parents want does.

BillyMac Fri Dec 04, 2015 05:13pm

Choices, Choices, Choices ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 971614)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 971686)
What does this have anything to do with knowing the rules and instructing them?

Here's the rule:

3-5-6: Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey.

Some of us enforce the rule. Some of us don't enforce the rule, even when we know the undershirt color is illegal. Some of us don't understand rule. Some of us ignore the rule, and don't even check the color of undershirts.

In the absence of any contradictory exception from the state association, there's only one good way to go here.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" (Charles Rosner, 1967)

jpgc99 Fri Dec 04, 2015 06:12pm

Quote:

You're reaction and approach to this coach doesn't sit well with me.