The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 01, 2015, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball vs Hockey

I've heard it opined a lot recently that basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate.

I've never officiated hockey, but I'd imagine that hockey, especially at the highest levels, is just as difficult to officiate.

Anyone do both sports and care to weigh in?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I only officiate basketball, but the reason I think Basketball is difficult is because decisions have to be made almost immediately with very little time to process what happened as a foul stop play immediately.

I don't think this is true to such an extreme with hockey as a foul doesn't necessarily stop play so you have an extra second or so to process things given that late foul calls are less noticable.

I would think soccer would be one that is hard to officiate, because 1) there is a lot of faking/flopping 2) only 1 official means you often have poor angles, and 3) a lot of judgement utilized in terms of advantage/disadvantage makes it very subjective.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
...the reason I think Basketball is difficult is because decisions have to be made almost immediately with very little time to process what happened as a foul stop play immediately.
True...but come try to do that on skates
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
True...but come try to do that on skates
yes. for me personally, hockey would be hardest for this reason.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 10:06am
High Five Master

I know a soccer guy. They run six to seven miles during a match. I know we run a lot but ugh, no thanks

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I would think soccer would be one that is hard to officiate, because 1) there is a lot of faking/flopping 2) only 1 official means you often have poor angles, and 3) a lot of judgement utilized in terms of advantage/disadvantage makes it very subjective.
Soccer generally has three officials -- a referee and two assistant referees. Once you hit a certain level you always have a fourth official, though he helps little with calls on the field -- usually only if something weird happens out of the regular area of play. And in a couple of leagues they add Additional Assistant Referees who primarily help with whether a ball crossed the goal line and fouls in the penalty area. But the referee is the only one with a whistle -- he only takes advice from the others. A wise referee, however, is keenly aware of those situations where his assistants have better angles.

I don't know that soccer really has that much more faking or flopping than basketball -- just higher stakes on each event. I would say that is what is one of the things that makes soccer hard -- because of the nature of scoring, the pressure on individual calls, especially near the goal, is much higher: A potential trip in the penalty area in the opening minutes creates a high stakes event for the referee: a possible PK and almost certain goal along with possibly sending off the defender so that the team plays short the rest of the game that resets how the entire rest of the game will be played or possibly a caution to the attacker who will then have to moderate that players play for a very long time. No early call in basketball will have the same on the entire game.

Nonetheless, soccer is made easier by the nature of the spacing and flow and having relatively fewer decision points -- its just that the ones you have are generally bigger decisions.

And the physical demands are much higher. There is a reason that FIFA referees have a mandatory retirement age at 45 (few could pass the fitness test past 45), while the NBA has elderly gentlemen still able to maintain the necessary fitness. And decision making definitely is harder after running 7 miles with intense focus!

Nonetheless, I found soccer easier and more pleasant. The compactness of basketball and constant decisions, to me, is harder. And I don't get as much exercise.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Soccer generally has three officials -- a referee and two assistant referees. Once you hit a certain level you always have a fourth official, though he helps little with calls on the field -- usually only if something weird happens out of the regular area of play. And in a couple of leagues they add Additional Assistant Referees who primarily help with whether a ball crossed the goal line and fouls in the penalty area. But the referee is the only one with a whistle -- he only takes advice from the others. A wise referee, however, is keenly aware of those situations where his assistants have better angles.

I don't know that soccer really has that much more faking or flopping than basketball -- just higher stakes on each event. I would say that is what is one of the things that makes soccer hard -- because of the nature of scoring, the pressure on individual calls, especially near the goal, is much higher: A potential trip in the penalty area in the opening minutes creates a high stakes event for the referee: a possible PK and almost certain goal along with possibly sending off the defender so that the team plays short the rest of the game that resets how the entire rest of the game will be played or possibly a caution to the attacker who will then have to moderate that players play for a very long time. No early call in basketball will have the same on the entire game.

Nonetheless, soccer is made easier by the nature of the spacing and flow and having relatively fewer decision points -- its just that the ones you have are generally bigger decisions.

And the physical demands are much higher. There is a reason that FIFA referees have a mandatory retirement age at 45 (few could pass the fitness test past 45), while the NBA has elderly gentlemen still able to maintain the necessary fitness. And decision making definitely is harder after running 7 miles with intense focus!

Nonetheless, I found soccer easier and more pleasant. The compactness of basketball and constant decisions, to me, is harder. And I don't get as much exercise.
I got a red card for flopping. I never got a T for trying to get a call when I played basketball.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I got a red card for flopping. I never got a T for trying to get a call when I played basketball.
If you got a red card for flopping, your referee didn't know the Laws of the Game. A flop can only be a caution for unsporting behavior.

I believe the basketball rule and soccer laws on faking fouls are pretty similar as written. But soccer actually uses its rule -- probably because there is more need to have a sanction because of the more extreme injustice if the referee is fooled. But that also puts more pressure on the referee -- and players keep faking because the potential gain (a PK = almost sure goal) is greater than the likelihood of getting called and the potential sanction. I've seen a T for faking in basketball exactly once -- there was a full foot of space between the defender and the dribbler when he flung himself backwards in agony.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'd love to try hockey. I can skate...I just can't stop.

Also I've never played the game, so I wonder if that would be a hindrance.

That puck moves so quickly it's gotta be difficult to see everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I was talking to a Soccer referee. I may try it out next year just for the exercise benefit alone.

I've only done Basketball and Football, but I gave up Football several years ago to free up some time in the fall.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 03:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think any time you have a judgment sport where you have to decide if the to stop play randomly during constant action, it is a tough sport to officiate. I would think being able to skate and constantly get out of the way would be difficult for anyone.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I do Lacrosse. I hear it is a lot like Hockey but I cant skate so I am safe.

Running distance is about the same. I have to through a lot less fouls then what I have to call in Basketball so that makes it more relaxed and fun for me. And it pays a lot better especially rec or youth Lacrosse. Easier to move up because there are less referees. The contact is a lot like basketball. Just a bigger area so there tends to be less off ball stuff. I highly recommend it. Also the grass is easier on my knees then the hard court and there is less sudden stopping and changing directions and the grass is more forgiving there too.

If anyone has more questions feel free to PM me.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I do Lacrosse. I hear it is a lot like Hockey but I cant skate so I am safe.

Running distance is about the same. I have to through a lot less fouls then what I have to call in Basketball so that makes it more relaxed and fun for me. And it pays a lot better especially rec or youth Lacrosse. Easier to move up because there are less referees. The contact is a lot like basketball. Just a bigger area so there tends to be less off ball stuff. I highly recommend it. Also the grass is easier on my knees then the hard court and there is less sudden stopping and changing directions and the grass is more forgiving there too.

If anyone has more questions feel free to PM me.
Don't you worry about those small schools who play on fields with potholes?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I assume very sport has its challenges. I work the highest level of basketball in Canada (CIS), Yet the most nervous I ever get before a game is when I'm working the plate in a baseball game.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated football, basketball, soccer, and softball, and played ice hockey; in my opinion, soccer is the most difficult of these to officiate. The demands placed on the one man or woman in the middle are much higher than in any other sport as far as number of players and amount of space in jurisdiction, and no sport has a higher-leverage decision than a penalty kick (an all but awarded goal, in a game where average games see fewer than three). Red cards are also brutal - playing short the remainder of the match - in terms of leverage.

The individual calls may not be the most difficult, but the overall demands are just brutal.

EDIT: I'm not a soccer referee right now (time, had to pick) but at the highest levels, the system just isn't working. I don't have a solution, but more eyes will, I think, be necessary eventually. And used more helpfully than AARs...