Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Questions regarding NFHS RuleS:

Extra Points: The length of of each extra period shall be half the time of a regulation quarter for sub-varsity contest? True or False

Free Throws: In a free-throw situation, the resumption of play procedure cannot begine if team B is not occupying the first marked spaces on each side.

Opponents of the free-thrower may never occupy the second marked lanes spaces. True or False

Unless the resumption of play procedure is in effect, one opponent of the free thrower shall occupy each of the first marked lane spaces adjacent to the end line during the first bonus situation. True or False

Live/dead ball: The ball becomes dead immediately if A1's try for a field goal is in flight when B1 excessively swings arms or elbows without making contact, True or False

The penalty for each single technical foul is either one or two free throws depending on the nature of the infraction. True or False

Substitutions: It is permissible to withdraw a player before the clock properly starts following his or her substitution into the games..True or False

Technical Fouls: It is a technical foul if a player reaches through the end line boundary-line and touches or bats the ball while it is being passed among teammates after a score. True or False

Traveling: A trtaveling violation results if A1, while holding the ball, touches the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. True or False

Violations: No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. True or False

Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Are you asking us to answer your test questions, Mac?
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Are you asking us to answer your test questions, Mac?
OK - I'll go ahead and do it for him.

All of the answers are true - except for the ones that are false. Hope that helps.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Questions

Yes it is true and the questions that I have posted are the ones I could not find in rule book! This is my first year referring and I want to do the best job that I can.

Thanks for humor but I am serious about the correct answers.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:54pm
In Memoriam

Re: Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by mmcclanahan
Yes it is true and the questions that I have posted are the ones I could not find in rule book! This is my first year referring and I want to do the best job that I can.

You already have the answers on the other forum.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:

I can assure you that the answers are in the rule book. How does it help you if we simply give them to you?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:

How does it help you if we simply give them to you?
How in the hell does it hurt him? If you tell him the answer, he will understand the rule. So if a young official tells you what he does before the game, you are going to say to him, "look it up in the rulebook?" I guess those Association meetings are a complete waste of time?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

I'll tell you where to find the answers and you have to go read it, OK? Citations in the rules book have the form X-Y-Z, and those referring the the case book look like A.B.C and should be read as Rule Number, Section #, Article #. Got it?

Quote:
Questions regarding NFHS RuleS:

Extra Points: The length of of each extra period shall be half the time of a regulation quarter for sub-varsity contest? True or False 5-7-3

Free Throws: In a free-throw situation, the resumption of play procedure cannot begine if team B is not occupying the first marked spaces on each side. 8-1-3a, 9-1-2

Opponents of the free-thrower may never occupy the second marked lanes spaces. True or False 8.1.2 Comment (second sentence)

Unless the resumption of play procedure is in effect, one opponent of the free thrower shall occupy each of the first marked lane spaces adjacent to the end line during the first bonus situation. True or False 9-1-2

Live/dead ball: The ball becomes dead immediately if A1's try for a field goal is in flight when B1 excessively swings arms or elbows without making contact, True or False
6-7-9 exception 4
The penalty for each single technical foul is either one or two free throws depending on the nature of the infraction. True or False Read the penalty paragraph at the end of each section (except 6) in rule 10.

Substitutions: It is permissible to withdraw a player before the clock properly starts following his or her substitution into the games..True or False
3.3.3 SitA
Technical Fouls: It is a technical foul if a player reaches through the end line boundary-line and touches or bats the ball while it is being passed among teammates after a score. True or False
10.3.12 SitB I had this happen in a game this summer.
Traveling: A traveling violation results if A1, while holding the ball, touches the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. True or False
4-43-5a
Violations: No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. True or False
7-5-7

Happy reading!
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

And, we wonder why we can't get new officials. If the guy wanted some smart As* answer he could have asked a coach. I thought this was a place you could come for help, not a place you come to and toot your own horn. Some day we will all be as knowledgeable as Mark Padgett,less the ego.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
If the guy wanted some smart As* answer he could have asked a coach.
And if he wanted to improve as an official, he could've called any other official in his area and talked through the situations, instead just getting a true or false from us. I see your point, I really do. But I also feel that just getting the answers doesn't really help one become a better official. That's just my opinion.

Quote:
I thought this was a place you could come for help, not a place you come to and toot your own horn.
As far as I can tell, Clay, nobody has bragged about his/her accomplishments or rule knowledge in this thread. Nobody's tooting their own horn.

There has been a long-standing difference of opinion on this board about this sort of question for several years. There are two basic opinions. Tony and Mark, among others, feel that it's not particularly helpful to simply supply the answers to the tests. If you don't know the answer, then you ought to dig a little (either in the rulebook, or by hashing it out with other officials) to understand the answer. Otherwise, they ought to just give you an answer key along with the test questions. That's a valid position, I think.

Others, including at least one poster in this thread, think that tests are just about useless so it does no harm to supply the answers. They feel (I think) that the result that you achieve on a test has almost nothing to do with how you perform on the court. So you might as well just give the answers, b/c getting them right isn't going to make you a good official if you really stink; and getting them wrong isn't going to make you a bad official if you can actually call a decent game. I think that's a vaild position, too, although I happen to disagree with it.

So while you might not like Padgett's attempt at humor, or Tony rolling his eyes, it's not b/c they're smarter-than-thou. It's just an honest difference of opinion about how best to improve as an official.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Sep 15th, 2003 at 08:31 AM]
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, we wonder why we can't get new officials. If the guy wanted some smart As* answer he could have asked a coach. I thought this was a place you could come for help, not a place you come to and toot your own horn. Some day we will all be as knowledgeable as Mark Padgett,less the ego.
No one is tooting anything, CLAY. I believe I asked a very valid question. "I can assure you that the answers are in the rule book. How does it help you if we simply give them to you?" If he completes the exam himself and then has questions about those that he missed, I'll be the first one here to reply to his questions and help him understand the answers. But to simply tell him the answers serves no purpose at all.

mmcclanahan, I'm glad that you chosen to take up this avocation. It's also important that you've found this forum. If you'll continue to read, posts questions here, and study, the forum will become invaluable to you. As I stated, the answers to these questions are in the rule book. Such is the purpose of these exams, to get you into the book, to learn how the book is laid out and where to go for specific issues.

Once your exam is graded and you have questions, post and you'll get plenty of help and explanations. Good luck.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
If the guy wanted some smart As* answer he could have asked a coach.
There has been a long-standing difference of opinion on this board about this sort of question for several years. There are two basic opinions. Tony and Mark, among others, feel that it's not particularly helpful to simply supply the answers to the tests. If you don't know the answer, then you ought to dig a little (either in the rulebook, or by hashing it out with other officials) to understand the answer.
I agree with Tony and Mark.I've trained officials for a long time,and I still do.Supplying someone with test answers doesn't teach them a thing,and doesn't do them any good either.They aren't learning anything if you do their work for them. If they do the best that they can on a test, then they'll find out where they they went wrong when that test is graded.It will also point out the areas of rules study that they will need to work on.

Clay,do you really think that it's right,or it actually helps university students, if someone is supplying them with the answers for their exams?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Sep 15th, 2003 at 08:47 AM]
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

WE ALL KNOW THE RULES ARE LISTED IN THE "BOOK", BUT SOMETIMES THEY ARE HARD TO FIND AND THE DEFINITONS ARE CONFUSSING. YOU ALMOST HAVE TO BE A ENGLISH MAJOR TO FIGURE OUT SOME OF THE WORDING. LET'S HELP THE GUY OUT. WHEN THE BASKETBALL SEASONS BEGINS WE COME HERE FOR HELP AND EVERYONE SEEMS POST THE RULES WHEN CERTIAN SITUATIONS ARISE.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

How does it help you if we simply give them to you?
How in the hell does it hurt him? If you tell him the answer, he will understand the rule. So if a young official tells you what he does before the game, you are going to say to him, "look it up in the rulebook?" I guess those Association meetings are a complete waste of time?

Peace
Then why in the hell don't you post the answers for him?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
WE ALL KNOW THE RULES ARE LISTED IN THE "BOOK", BUT SOMETIMES THEY ARE HARD TO FIND AND THE DEFINITONS ARE CONFUSSING. YOU ALMOST HAVE TO BE A ENGLISH MAJOR TO FIGURE OUT SOME OF THE WORDING. LET'S HELP THE GUY OUT. WHEN THE BASKETBALL SEASONS BEGINS WE COME HERE FOR HELP AND EVERYONE SEEMS POST THE RULES WHEN CERTIAN SITUATIONS ARISE.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

THEN POST THE ANSWERS FOR HIM!
Closed Thread