The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I call baseball and football. Funny thing is, in H.S. it was basketball. Well I am now going to pick up basketball. I have heard it is the worst sport to call. Am I sick in the head for doing this or not. Give me you opinion please. Either way I wll give it a year or 2 but what can I really expect.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I call baseball and football. Funny thing is, in H.S. it was basketball. Well I am now going to pick up basketball. I have heard it is the worst sport to call. Am I sick in the head for doing this or not. Give me you opinion please. Either way I wll give it a year or 2 but what can I really expect.
cowboyfan1,
Expect every game to be fun.
Expect all your game management skills to be useful.
mick
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Life is what you make it.

Refereeing basketball is work and like any other sport it will require your full concentration while officiating. There are a tremendous amount of split-second judgement decisions you will be asked to make as you call a game. These plays look different from different angles and so not everyone will agree with your calls (even your partner sometimes will see things different). As a consequence, I think basketball officials take more "heat" from players, coaches and fans than any other sport. Some of it is disrespectful. However, any official worth anything will be able to allow those comments to slide off. I do enjoy reffing basketball. It is a great game to be a part of.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

From my perspective, basketball officiating is the most challenging, but also the most fun. I am probably a better umpire than a ref, but I still prefer to officiate basketball. It is more challenging physically. And mentally there are so many things to look for, it can seem overwhelming. I find it very rewarding.

As Ref in PA said, game management is more demanding. A baseball manager will come out and argue a call. A basketball coach is more likely to try and "work" you on the sidelines. You have to listen but you also have to know when enough is enough. Since you have experience doing other sports, I am sure you will manage that part well.

The other nice thing about basketball, no 3 hour games in the blistering sun.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

A year or two is not enough. If one is serious about studying the rulebook, learning and practicing proper mechanics, working many games, and attending a clinic or two, he will become a decent ref. This takes about four years, then you get that "hey, I really know what I am doing on the court" feeling, and your game just improves from there.

It only works if one is willing to learn and listen to experienced refs who know what they are doing, and aspire to follow proper proceedure so you can learn good habits.
Passing the written test is just a tiny step through the door of becomoing a good basketball official.

Good luck. If you have a passion to call football and baseball, you will probably have the same drive to do well at basketball. I have officiated baseball for 9 years and started basketball for exercise! Now, seven years later, it is my favorite, that is, during the winter until baseball season begins
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
You're gonna love it. Have fun!

Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Wink If you love the game, everything else will work out.

That is what drives me. I love the challenge, interacting with the people in the game, and really feel that I contribute to the education of young people as they grow into basketball. I have always loved this sport and to me, being an official is putting me on the court doing something I enjoy.

Some people do this for the wrong reasons: money, control needs, like to wear double knit slacks. But, these will generally fail or at best reach a low level in the basketball carreet. But, if you love the game, you will work it into something that will be very rewarding.

Best of luck to you on your new adventure.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Most challenging.

Basketball is probably the most fun and challenging overall. I love football a lot, but I can officiate a football game and hardly participate in anything that happens. Being a Referee, I obviously have more involvement and have to report every single foul, but if I am a wing or BJ, I might not do much of anything that night. Basketball is not like that at all. You are always involved. There is always something to do and something to call. It is very rare if you were to have only 10 calls, and that is if you are working with 2 other officials.

The wonderful thing about football, you have the comradery of 4 other guys (at least) to do all your games. In basketball you do not get that same oneness or familiarity most of the time. I have a few guys I might work with on a regular basis, but depending on the conference or the tournament, I might not work 1/3 of the games with them. So every night you can work with a different guys to officiate a basketball game.

Both Football and basketball are fun, they both have differnet challenges and different expectations. You might have to work a little harder to officiate basketball, but it can be more individually rewarding at times as well.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Well put J Rut.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Can't really add much to what everybody else has already said.

From your experience in the other sports, you already know how to be an official. That's half the battle.

Study and learn the basketball rules and mechanics.

Good luck!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Thanks all

I mainly picked it up to help keep in shape between football and baseball. I will not cheat it though and not put in the time to learn the rules and mechanics. Football and baseball are my passion and I will sit and watch most any game on tv with them. Other than the NCAA tourney, I gotta be watching a team I love to watch basketball (Tho overall I cannot stand to Pro game). I will work hard at it tho as my own drive and competitivness will not allow me to do otherwise. Good luck in the upcoming season everyone.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Thanks all

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
(Tho overall I cannot stand to Pro game).
Do not feel bad, many of us here do not like it that much either. I did not even watch one playoff game in its entirety last year.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Probaboy because NBA isn't "real" basketball, it's ENTERTAINMENT. I'll take a good HS or college games any day
(to watch, or ref).
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Probaboy because NBA isn't "real" basketball, it's ENTERTAINMENT. I'll take a good HS or college games any day
(to watch, or ref).
I've been to only one NBA game.
It was very special!
mick
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

NBA?????

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
(to watch, or ref).
I've been to only one NBA game.
It was very special!
mick

I've been in San Antonio the last 4 years and only attended one game. My beloved wife said to me "you know its nice to be in a city that has one the NBA Championship". For once I agreed with her and plan to go to more games.

I'm a big NBA fan and it surprises me when people refer to it as entertainment. The NBA has some of the world's best athletes and it amazes me to see what they do.

I consider the Globetrotters, Streethoops and the And One games B-Ball entertainment.