The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dribbling During an OB Throw-In (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100409-dribbling-during-ob-throw.html)

Refhoop Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34am

Dribbling During an OB Throw-In

Last week I had/saw for-the-first-time as a player, coach or official:
A1 is in-bounding after a made basket, she dribbles a couple of times, picks up the ball and throws directly in bounds to a teammate.
In my mind: "Crap, I think that's ok, I'm not blowing the whistle... I hope no one else saw that... stay focused!"
Opposing coach is up mildly objecting: "she can't do that". I say to objecting coach: why not? His response was predictable: "She just can't"
Next dead ball: crew comes together and we all say, "never saw that before" and I tell them, I've never seen a rule prohibiting the act - so I let it go!
R tells coach: we'll check the book at half time - he's wining big, so its all good.
Low and behold: Case book: 9.2.2 situation D,
1. Any of you ever have this and get it wrong?
2. Same on collegiate level (curious)?
3. Can a player "double dribble" while OB?
4. If it hits the official, rebounds back to thrower... do we have nothing, except the shock of getting hit?
And, case book doesn't specify spot-throw in or after made basket.

Raymond Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:41am

If you've read 9.2.2 then questions 3 & 4 are superfluous. In fact, how would question 3 make sense?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

JetMetFan Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 970935)
Last week I had/saw for-the-first-time as a player, coach or official:
A1 is in-bounding after a made basket, she dribbles a couple of times, picks up the ball and throws directly in bounds to a teammate.
In my mind: "Crap, I think that's ok, I'm not blowing the whistle... I hope no one else saw that... stay focused!"
Opposing coach is up mildly objecting: "she can't do that". I say to objecting coach: why not? His response was predictable: "She just can't"
Next dead ball: crew comes together and we all say, "never saw that before" and I tell them, I've never seen a rule prohibiting the act - so I let it go!
R tells coach: we'll check the book at half time - he's wining big, so its all good.
Low and behold: Case book: 9.2.2 situation D,
1. Any of you ever have this and get it wrong?
2. Same on collegiate level (curious)?
3. Can a player "double dribble" while OB?
4. If it hits the official, rebounds back to thrower... do we have nothing, except the shock of getting hit?
And, case book doesn't specify spot-throw in or after made basket.

1. Yes...No
2. Yes
3. The limits on what a player can/cannot do with the ball during a throw-in are pretty well laid out in Rules 7 and 9 (and 10 if they really tried something dumb)
4. It would depend on where the official is standing and whether it's a spot throw-in. The latter is probably more important because that would determine whether the thrower could legally retrieve the ball

Refhoop Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970936)
If you've read 9.2.2 then questions 3 & 4 are superfluous. In fact, how would question 3 make sense?

Better wording would be: dribble, pick up, dribble again, pick up.
Thanks for responding.

Raymond Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 970938)
Thanks for responding.

I'm curious what you've come across that would even make you think such a violation exists.

BillyMac Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17am

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

9.2.2 SITUATION D: A1 dribbles the ball on floor on the out-of-bounds area
before making a throw-in. RULING: Legal, a player may bounce the ball on the
out-of-bounds area prior to making a throw-in.

Dad Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 970938)
Thanks for responding.

No need to say anything, dribbling rules don't apply. Same reason you're not calling a violation on a free thrower for his/her goofy shot prep.

Read through the book as often as you can. Why would the case book need to tell you about a throw in after a made shot?

BillyMac Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:29am

Need Insight ...

I believe that I read, somewhere on this Forum, that a dribble can only occur inbounds, that an out of bounds inbounder is not actually dribbling the ball but, rather, is bouncing the ball, and since this player is not dribbling, this player can't double (illegal) dribble.

I'm having trouble finding relevant rule citations, other than the casebook play stated above, for this situation. How about a little help?

BillyMac Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:31am

Seek And Ye Shall Find (Matthew 7:7) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970944)
I'm having trouble finding relevant rule citations, other than the casebook play stated above, for this situation. How about a little help?

Found it ...

BASKETBALL RULES FUNDAMENTALS

5. Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

Dad Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:39am

Rules 4-42

NOTE: The thrower must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. The traveling and dribbling rules are not in effect for a throw-in

Raymond Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970944)
I believe that I read, somewhere on this Forum, that a dribble can only occur inbounds, that an out of bounds inbounder is not actually dribbling the ball but, rather, is bouncing the ball, and since this player is not dribbling, this player can't double (illegal) dribble.

You should know that on your own, not because you've read it somewhere in the forum. You have been officiating too long.

BillyMac Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45pm

The Old Gray Mare, She Ain't What She Used To Be ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970949)
You have been officiating too long.

Funny? That's exactly what a lot of coaches, and many of my partners, have been telling me.

Refhoop Fri Nov 27, 2015 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970940)
I'm curious what you've come across that would even make you think such a violation exists.

First time I've come across this. As I explained, I was sure there was no prohibition and got clarification from the case.
Rule 4-42 is perfect!

Not real sure of bouncing over dribbling though: Hey Coach, he's bouncing the ball, not dribbling it... :eek:

You guys are sharp, nothing gets past you in this game!

Raymond Fri Nov 27, 2015 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 970958)
First time I've come across this. As I explained, I was sure there was no prohibition and got clarification from the case.
Rule 4-42 is perfect!

Not real sure of bouncing over dribbling though: Hey Coach, he's bouncing the ball, not dribbling it... :eek:

You guys are sharp, nothing gets past you in this game!

There is an illegal dribble violation, not an illegal bounce violation. A dribble is a defined basketball act.

referee99 Fri Nov 27, 2015 02:50pm

Words to live by

Quote:

I've never seen a rule prohibiting the act - so I let it go!
Keep doing that.