The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   POE - FT Shooter Contact (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100368-poe-ft-shooter-contact.html)

RefsNCoaches Thu Nov 19, 2015 09:53am

POE - FT Shooter Contact

Have my first contest of the year tonight...Would like input on this from you guys on this.

NFHS Reads:
Players who occupy free throw lane line marked spaces during
free throws may enter the free-throw lane upon the free thrower releasing
the ball; however, should a defensive player cross the free-throw line too
soon, it is a violation. A delayed violation signal is to be displayed. If the
free throw is successful, the violation is ignored.
If a defender contacts the free thrower, a personal foul is the correct
ruling. If the free throw is unsuccessful, the violation is enforced and a
substitute free throw is awarded. If a defender contacts the free thrower, a
personal foul is the correct ruling. Whether the free throw is or is not successful, the penalty for the personal foul is awarded. If the free thrower’s
team is in a bonus situation, the free thrower would be awarded a one-and one or two free throws. If the free thrower’s team is not in a bonus situation,
his or her team would be awarded a throw-in along the end line.

So is any contact on a FT shooter by defense, while ball is in flight is to be called a PF... Is it that black and white for us officials?

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:09am

I think we have found our replacement for the "if the B2 deflects the ball and A1 catches it in the back court before it touches the floor" question.

RefsNCoaches Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970116)
I think we have found our replacement for the "if the B2 deflects the ball and A1 catches it in the back court before it touches the floor" question.

Legal play...now how about providing YOUR interp of this seeing as it's something new the NFHS is putting emphasis on.

A blatant block out, rear in the gut prior to contact, sure...a slight bump setting up to box out...perhaps or might we have a delayed violation here....

Just trying to see what people have to say about it and how they would officiat it.

Don't let post count fool you...I just haven't been on here in a few years.:cool: Couldn't remember my old password and I changed email accounts...

Freddy Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:23am

Check with your state or local association. Some states are mandating what you quoted from the nfhs: "any contact must be ruled a personal foul" and others are expecting that contact be more than incidental to be considered a foul. I have not heard what Indiana expects.

BTW...your first game is today and you are JUST NOW looking into this??? :(

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 970118)
Legal play...now how about providing YOUR interp of this seeing as it's something new the NFHS is putting emphasis on.

A blatant block out, rear in the gut prior to contact, sure...a slight bump setting up to box out...perhaps or might we have a delayed violation here....

Just trying to see what people have to say about it and how they would officiat it.

Don't let post count fool you...I just haven't been on here in a few years.:cool: Couldn't remember my old password and I changed email accounts...

I'm going to scare the kids in my pre game conference so they won't even go near the free throw shooter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Refhoop Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:34am

So is any contact on a FT shooter by defense, while ball is in flight is to be called a PF... Is it that black and white for us officials?[/QUOTE]

Before it touches the rim: Violation and PF, unless its somehow is an intentional foul.
My understanding is that the contact does not negate the violation.

RefsNCoaches Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 970120)
Check with your state or local association. Some states are mandating what you quoted from the nfhs: "any contact must be ruled a personal foul" and others are expecting that contact be more than incidental to be considered a foul. I have not heard what Indiana expects.

BTW...your first game is today and you are JUST NOW looking into this??? :(

Jr High games today...Of course I talked with guys I work with about it... And most I have spoke with are in the camp of a little more than incidental.

Have always appreciated the info I gather from this site in the past.

RefsNCoaches Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:41am

I guess like any new POE, players will adjust. It just seems crazy for a violation and a PF cause as a coach(AAU and Travel)...I want my kids boxing out the shooter!:D

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:45am

I know folks here aren't going ignore what the NFHS has clearly stated it wants. :mad:

bob jenkins Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970125)
I know folks here aren't going ignore what the NFHS has clearly stated it wants. :mad:

I think that's accurate -- if the State hasn't said otherwise.

And, I don't think anyone has ever said "if the State says "Y" when the NFHS says "X", do 'X'"

Honestly, these posts almost make me long for the "in my little corner we wear belts" posts.

Freddy Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 970123)
...I talked with guys I work with about it... And most I have spoke with are in the camp of a little more than incidental...

So, are you going to go with a local consensus of "guys"? Or what your state expects of you?

Hey Arem, can you help this fellow Indiana official with what your state says on this issue?

deecee Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11am

Our association has instructed us to go with a violation unless the contact is severe enough that we would normally call a foul. IOW, NOT ALL contact is a foul. The stupid thing about this stupid ruling is that you could have a FT with lanes cleared and then adjudicated additional FT's with players on the lane.

I didn't know boxing out the FT shooter was such a rampant issue that the NFHS had to overly complicate this.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 970128)
I think that's accurate -- if the State hasn't said otherwise.

And, I don't think anyone has ever said "if the State says "Y" when the NFHS says "X", do 'X'"

Honestly, these posts almost make me long for the "in my little corner we wear belts" posts.

Did I forget my blue font?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

egj13 Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 970131)

I didn't know boxing out the FT shooter was such a rampant issue that the NFHS had to overly complicate this.

"Protection of the free thrower..." Its the new world we live in.

RefsNCoaches Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970134)
"Protection of the free thrower..." Its the new world we live in.

Hahah....I guess I could make an argument that it negates advantage of the defense getting body into shooter during flight since shooter can't go until contact. But yeah, I didn't know it was that much of a problem either...