The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Can't say "Never saw that" again

Girls varsity last night...my partner calls a 10 second violation of the FT shooter. This is my 9th season and it is the first time I have been in a game where it was called.

For the record, when he called it the coach yelled at the girl "See, I told you there was a 10 second limit and they count. Maybe now you will listen to me."

Ah...such a lovely teaching moment.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Girls varsity last night...my partner calls a 10 second violation of the FT shooter. This is my 9th season and it is the first time I have been in a game where it was called.

For the record, when he called it the coach yelled at the girl "See, I told you there was a 10 second limit and they count. Maybe now you will listen to me."

How long had she actually taken?
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Partner said he was actually at a slightly slow 12 (looked like she was going to shoot when he was a 9 but it was a "pump fake"). Said he blew because if someone on the other bench was counting with his visible count it would be worse.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'd probably fall asleep if a shooter actually took 10 seconds!
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 04:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Had a partner call that once. The coach yelled "That wasn't 10 seconds even in dog years."

I cracked up.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Never seen that one called.

I called a violation after the inbounds pass for the first time ever last week. A1 inbounded the ball from the end line, then took 5-6 steps laterally, still out of bounds across the end line before coming inbounds. First time I've seen it called, much less called it myself. Then had the same thing in my very next game.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Never seen that one called.

I called a violation after the inbounds pass for the first time ever last week. A1 inbounded the ball from the end line, then took 5-6 steps laterally, still out of bounds across the end line before coming inbounds. First time I've seen it called, much less called it myself. Then had the same thing in my very next game.
There is a reason that you don't see that called.
The reason is that this is not a violation. It's a technical foul.
You kicked the rule.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You kicked the rule.
So you're correct. 10-3-2. Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You kicked the rule.
I strongly wish they'd change this one to a violation. It really doesn't seem any different than a player leaving the court without authorization. Much like the swinging elbows, more officials would be willing to call it if it were a violation. The infraction isn't severe enough to rise to the level of a T.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I strongly wish they'd change this one to a violation. It really doesn't seem any different than a player leaving the court without authorization. Much like the swinging elbows, more officials would be willing to call it if it were a violation. The infraction isn't severe enough to rise to the level of a T.
I completed all the paperwork to get this changed this past off season. My suggested change actually made its way onto the agenda for the rules committee to consider, but my change was not accepted. My change would have made the penalty (a violation) for a player stepping out of bounds to gain an advantage the same as a throwin player delaying being out of bounds to gain an advantage.

NFHS 9-3-3: A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

NFHS 10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Change 10-3-2 from a technical foul to a violation. Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds should carry the same penalty as leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

NFHS 9-3-3-B: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

Should I give it another try after this season?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 07:51pm.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I completed all the paperwork to get this changed this past off season.

Should I give it another try after this season?
IMHO, Yes.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Should I give it another try after this season?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!
What's the reasoning behind this rule?

I can see this being good strategy at the end of a game if you have a poor free throw shooter that you needed/wanted to keep in the game. A team could have the poor free throw shooter inbounds the ball and just stay out of bounds... especially with all contact on the inbounder being an intentional foul.
Not saying it makes perfect sense, but is one possible justification?
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I agree. I don't know if you submitted it directly, or through your state, but my guess is that suggestions from the State carry more weight than suggestions from an individual referee / coach.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 11:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post

I actually saw this called like 15 years go. We still give the official crap for calling it and he was right to call it too.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

In my almost 20 years, I have never called or even seen it called. I was told on day 1 to count 8, 9, 9 1/4, 9 1/2, 9 3/4, etc. but never get to 10. I don't even recall ever getting close.