The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 08:31am
This IS My Social Life

No Surprises

Bad things happen when an official gets surprised by what just happened.
I'm compiling a list of things to do and think in order to minimize those surprises. Please help me by adding to the list according to whatever input and insights you have to share. I'll start the list and you can add your contributions.
Looking forward to your responses.

I'M NOT GOING TO GET SURPRISED . . .

1) . . . by any block/charge call as Lead, because instead of watching that dribbler who started outside my area, I'll be observing the secondary defender, assessing his LGP or lack thereof before the crash occurs.

2) . . . by any illegal action at the rim/backboard while as C in transition because I'll be hustling in transition to get a good look at action at the rim so I can accurately call anything illegal that occurs.

3) . . . (add your contribution here . . .)/
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 10:54am
In Time Out

when ninjas storm the court
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Buzzer Beater ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

I'M NOT GOING TO GET SURPRISED . . .
3) ... by the end of a period.

Many veterans on my local board were trained by an outstanding official who had a "by the book" philosophy that if there wasn't an "official" (NFHS, or IAABO) signal an official could give to another official to watch for the end of a period, that we shouldn't use "any" signal to signal such. His philosophy also said that good officials should always know when one was getting close to the end of the period, again claiming that no such signal, official, or unofficial, was needed.

He retired several years ago, and many of our veterans, unfortunately, still follow his philosophy. We still haven't come up with an accepted signal. Some will point to the clock, or hold up one finger, others will tap their heads, or point to their wrist, or point to the ceiling making a clockwise signal. Many, especially veterans, will do nothing.

Even though it's in my pregame to help each other out with this situation, I am still surprised by the buzzer once, or twice, a season, no matter how hard I try to pay attention to the clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 01, 2015 at 02:16pm.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 04:36pm
This IS My Social Life

Surprised . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3) ... by the end of a period.
Duly noted!

Quote:
We still haven't come up with an accepted signal.
NFHS has this, plus a new approved signal in the new Officials Manual: "Officials should communicate when there is one minute left in each quarter by raising one arm straight up above the head and extending one finger in the air. All officials should give the same signal.
Te opposite side official (Trail or Center) is responsible for making the call on any last-second shot and should communicate this to his/her partners by signaling with the hand-on-chest signal when the game clock is near 15 seconds confirming responsibility for the last second shot. Such communication should be repeated on any change of possession."
IAABO doesn't have either of these as approved signals?
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Minute Left Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
NFHS has this, plus a new approved signal in the new Officials Manual: "Officials should communicate when there is one minute left in each quarter by raising one arm straight up above the head and extending one finger in the air. All officials should give the same signal.

The opposite side official (Trail or Center) is responsible for making the call on any last-second shot and should communicate this to his/her partners by signaling with the hand-on-chest signal when the game clock is near 15 seconds confirming responsibility for the last second shot. Such communication should be repeated on any change of possession."

IAABO doesn't have either of these as approved signals?
Thanks Freddy.

IAABO added the hand-on-chest signal few years ago. It's in the mechanics manual, but it's not on the "official" signal chart.

I just sent a email to my local interpreter to tell him about the recent "one minute left" addition to the NFHS mechanics manual. Hopefully, he will send the information up the IAABO ladder to get it "officially" approved for IAABO officials.

Also, I can't find the new "one minute left" signal in the 2015-16 NFHS signal chart. Is it only in the NFHS mechanics manual?

http://www.nfhs.org/media/1015648/ba...gnal-chart.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 02, 2015 at 06:36am.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 05:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Also I can't find the new "one minute left" signal in the 2015-16 NFHS signal chart. Is it only in the NFHS mechanics manual?
It's included in a PDF of a PPt used as a rules meeting lesson and can be accessed here: See Officials Manual Lesson, page 16
Old Mon Nov 02, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

1 ... I won't be surprised when the scorer table confuses the direction of the AP arrow because I will be mindful of the AP arrow and know when it should/not be changed (e.g. "4.42.5 Situation") --I will take vigilant leadership on such issues.

2 ...I won't be surprised when for a game I am officiating in February 2016 (i.e., after we've been playing basketball for 3 months already!) regarding "fashion policing" sitches---that coaches will be upset with me and tell me that "well, the other refs let us wear such and such colored headbands/writsbands and nobody told us we can't play until we fix the non-conforming color accessories".

3...I won't be surprised when my ref payment is delayed due to some office secretary having mis-managed my paperwork after confirming all details with that office prior to.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2015, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I will learn to expect the Spanish Inquisition.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2015, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Nooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk