The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

fouling the free thrower

A1 shooting free throws. On the last free throw by A1, he's fouled by B1, who moved in and made illegal contact with him. How is the penalty administered? Is it a 'shooting foul'? Does it matter if the free throw was made?
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 11:11pm
Never Stop Learning

Please read the NFHS interpretations for 2015-2016 that were supplied by APG. Situation 2 should answer your questions.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 05:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Foul The Free Throw Shooter ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
A1 shooting free throws. On the last free throw by A1, he's fouled by B1, who moved in and made illegal contact with him. How is the penalty administered? Is it a 'shooting foul'? Does it matter if the free throw was made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Please read the NFHS interpretations for 2015-2016 that were supplied by APG.
bbman's question opens up an interesting can of worms, far beyond the recent NFHS Point of Emphasis.

Has anyone ever observed a free throw shooter fouled (actual advantage gained) in the act of shooting?

Do the rules address this?

10-5 PENALTIES:
2. One free throw if fouled in the act of shooting and two- or three-point try or
tap is successful.
5. Fouled in act of shooting and try or tap is unsuccessful:
a. Two free throws on two-point try or tap.
b. Three free throws on three-point try or tap.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 27, 2015 at 05:52am.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 07:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
bbman's question opens up an interesting can of worms, far beyond the recent nfhs point of emphasis.

Has anyone ever observed a free throw shooter fouled (actual advantage gained) in the act of shooting?
no!!!!
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Given that most FT Shooters shoot flat footed and never become an airborne shooter, it is almost impossible to have a foul in the act of shooting as any movement toward the shooter is going to create a delayed violation first for entering the lane prior to the ball striking the ring.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Given that most FT Shooters shoot flat footed and never become an airborne shooter, it is almost impossible to have a foul in the act of shooting as any movement toward the shooter is going to create a delayed violation first for entering the lane prior to the ball striking the ring.
I don't really think the logic is sound (B1 enters the lane and fould A1 before A1 releases the ball -- penalize both the violation and the foul), but the conclusion is.

If someone fouls the shooter before the shooter releases the ball, it's almost always going to be intentional or flagrant.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 04:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is There A Listed Penalty ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If someone fouls the shooter before the shooter releases the ball, it's almost always going to be intentional or flagrant.
Agree, but what about that once in a lifetime occurrence where the defensive player excitedly jumps the gun (freshman first time coming off the bench to play in a varsity game), can't hold back, and bumps (creates a disadvantage) into the free throw shooter (second of two free throws) while said player is in the act of shooting before the ball is released. It's ruled a foul against a player in the act of shooting a free throw, it's not ruled intentional, nor is it ruled flagrant.

Shot goes in. What's the penalty?

Shot misses. What's the penalty?

Citation please.

10-5 PENALTIES:
2. One free throw if fouled in the act of shooting and two- or three-point try or tap is successful.

What about a one-point try?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 27, 2015 at 05:27pm.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree, but what about that once in a lifetime occurrence where the defensive player excitedly jumps the gun (freshman first time coming off the bench to play in a varsity game), can't hold back, and bumps (creates a disadvantage) into the free throw shooter (second of two free throws) while said player is in the act of shooting before the ball is released. It's ruled a foul against a player in the act of shooting a free throw, it's not ruled intentional, nor is it ruled flagrant.

Shot goes in. What's the penalty?

Shot misses. What's the penalty?

Citation please.

10-5 PENALTIES:
2. One free throw if fouled in the act of shooting and two- or three-point try or tap is successful.

What about a one-point try?
i'll take a stab at it--4-19-2 says a common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying for a FIELD goal....The FT shooter in your example is in the act of shooting but not for a field goal. 4-41-2 says a try for FIELD Goal is attempt to score 2 or 3 points. The FT shooter in the act of shooting meets the definition of a common foul in your example.
As you point out there is no specific penalty listed in 10-5 Penalties for fouling a FT shooter who is in the act like there is when player is trying for field goal. I think that supports conclusion that your example is a common foul. (you have said it wasnt intentional or flagrant)

i havnt sat and thought it through and through so maybe im missing something obvious etc. note--i can maybe see a foul in the act of shooting not being intentional or flagrant if the FT shooter jumps during the shot. He releases ball and is fouled just before landing. However, the player fouling a FT shooter before releasing the ball has to get in so early to get to the FT shooter it will be intentional, at least, (excessive contact) imo.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Oct 27, 2015 at 08:41pm.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

We Have A Winner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
As you point out there is no specific penalty listed in 10-5 Penalties for fouling a FT shooter who is in the act like there is when player is trying for field goal.
Bingo.

So, if the shot goes in, does he get another for being fouled in the act for shooting, as with a field goal?

And, if the shot misses does he get a replacement shot for the delayed violation; or does he get another free throw for being fouled in the act of shooting, and missing; or does he get two additional shots for both the violation, and the foul?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 28, 2015 at 05:30pm.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 07:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Bingo.

So, if the shot goes in, does he get another for being fouled in the act for shooting, as with a field goal?

And, if the shot misses does he get a replacement shot for the delayed violation; or does he get another free throw for being fouled in the act of shooting, and missing; or does he get two additional shots for both the violation, and the foul (I doubt this scenario, but would still like to study the possibility)?
If anyone fouls a free throw shooter in the act of shooting, anything less than an intentional foul is ludicrous.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Won't happen.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Neutralizes An Opponent's Obvious Advantageous Position ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If anyone fouls a free throw shooter in the act of shooting, anything less than an intentional foul is ludicrous.
4-19-3:An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to: a. Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.

For this reason (red, above)? I can certainly go along with that. Also makes the penalty easy to administer (intentional foul penalty).

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 28, 2015 at 05:47pm.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

I'm almost certainly calling intentional. But in that "once in a lifetime" situation:

1) Based on the play's description, there is definitely a violation. If the free throw is made, ignore the violation. If missed, award replacement free throw.

2) Because there is no try (defined by a 2 or 3 point attempt), there is no act of shooting, so the foul would be common. If in bonus, shoot 1n1 or 2, clearing the lane if necessary for the replacement and/or remaining free throw(s) before shooting bonus free throws. If not in bonus, A's ball OOB on endline, clearing lane for replacement and/or remaining free throw(s).
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 05:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unhindered Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
... Because there is no try (defined by a 2 or 3 point attempt), there is no act of shooting, so the foul would be common.
Who says that there's no try? Who says that there is no act of shooting?

4-20-1: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal ...

4-41-1: The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 05:03pm.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who says that there's no try? Who says that there is no act of shooting?

4-20-1: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal ...

4-41-1: The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try ...
and continuous motion applies....