The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

FT time count- which hand

So, the manual says use the hand away from the FT'er.

I always took that to mean- use the outside hand- the hand closest to the division line.

Tonight, I heard that we should use the other hand- since you're standing on an angle, use the other hand- the one closest to the side/end line.

To me, using my hand closest to the division line is the one furthest away from the shooters field of vision.

What do you guys do?
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 11:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
So, the manual says use the hand away from the FT'er.

I always took that to mean- use the outside hand- the hand closest to the division line.

Tonight, I heard that we should use the other hand- since you're standing on an angle, use the other hand- the one closest to the side/end line.

To me, using my hand closest to the division line is the one furthest away from the shooters field of vision.

What do you guys do?
Hand closest to the division line. Also the hand/arm I chop with on last FT of a series.

What was the nature of you hearing this? Someone actually took the time to teach/instruct you on this? This is is like number 692 on my list of important things for refereeing.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I've ever had a clinician/instructor tell me to use the hand closer to the end line. I've always been told the hand closer to the division line.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Hand closest to the division line. Also the hand/arm I chop with on last FT of a series.

What was the nature of you hearing this? Someone actually took the time to teach/instruct you on this? This is is like number 692 on my list of important things for refereeing.
It was mentioned during a meeting........... My thoughts exactly.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

"All Politics Is Local" (Speaker U.S. House Tip O'Neill, 1982) ...

When in Rome, do as Romans do. Especially if it is going to impact one's rating, ranking, assignments, schedule, etc.

Note: The IAABO manual specifies tableside hand for chopping in time following the last missed free throw, but does not specify any particular hand for counting ten seconds. Locally, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we don't make a big deal about which hand the trail official chops in time with following the last missed free throw. Sometimes we're just pleased when some of our local guys remember to chop in time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 06, 2015 at 05:39pm.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 05:42pm
Stubborn Member

I'm honestly not sure which hand I use during the FT. Probably my right hand... the dominant one. Nobody's ever said anything about it, in person or during a meeting.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 07:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

I raise and chop the arm closest to the basket to keep myself open to the FT shooter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 09:46pm
This IS My Social Life

For the official who counts the ten and chops the time, the NFHS Officials Manual (for those states that follow it--presumably not Illinois, for example) puts him in a position ". . . just above the free throw line extended and halfway between the nearer free-throw lane-line extended and the sideline." From that location a ten-second count with the hand toward the endline could be a distraction to the shooter, possibly -- especially if overdone (cf. some whose ten-second count is as if it's a closely guarded count). For 3-person C's or 2-person T's who are disengaged from the free throw play due to habitually positioning themselves waaaaaay out on the sideline, this isn't an issue cuz they're in a different zip code altogether anyway and wouldn't be distracting due to distance. But for those who stand in the NFHS prescribed place, it seems a furtive flick of the wrist semi-hidden behind the leg nearer the division line serves the situation just right. It's seen by the table and the coaches, and not distractive in any possible way to the shooter.
Not prescribed but makes sense and is taught at every camp I've ever attended: the hand used to chop time on a missed FT is the same as used to signal three-point attempt--the hand nearer the division line since it's the table who needs to see either signal.