The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit games are rec league rules and good.

Protest committees for time limit games should rule on the intent of the time limit rule, thus intentionally doing something intentional to get an out by rule to prolong the game such as this situation should not be allowed.

Changing pitchers to extend the time in order to get a win is just bush.

Telling the batter to do something illegal to extend the game with one minute left should not be allowed in a time limit game.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2015, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Time limit games are rec league rules and good.

Protest committees for time limit games should rule on the intent of the time limit rule, thus intentionally doing something intentional to get an out by rule to prolong the game such as this situation should not be allowed.

Changing pitchers to extend the time in order to get a win is just bush.

Telling the batter to do something illegal to extend the game with one minute left should not be allowed in a time limit game.
But what rule says it is illegal? You could argue unsportsmanlike conduct, but you have to be very careful calling this one, because teams will also do the same thing the other way.

If I was the opposing coach, up 15-2 and knowing the coach was going to do this to play another inning, I would be tempted to do the same thing back the other way just to get that last inning done. There is nothing to prevent the visitors from intentionally taking 3 outs in their half. As the umpire you really don't have any say in the matter.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2015, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

If I was the Visiting coach and had that stunt pulled to extend the game another inning I would do everything I could to encourage my team to keep scoring runs.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Timed games always bring out the "best" in coaches. If I am faced with a time limit, I simply let the teams do their thing. I remind them when they are pulling the bull shit moves that the clock is still running and when time is up, it's up. If the coaches have a problem with tactics, go see the tournament director or league officers, not my problem!
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
He'd lose if I was on the committee.

"The manager went to change his pitcher and you tossed him and forfeited the game? Did I hear that right?"

"He was stalling".

"So you think you get to decide if he can change pitchers or not?"

"He was stalling".

"So he can only change his pitcher of there is more than some amount of time left? How much time?"
WHAT???

Sure... if you change the situation entirely, to something other than what we're discussing... yes, you would have a different ruling.

The OP said, "The 3rd base coach ( Home Team )calls time and yells out to the batter to step across the plate when the picture begins his motion to pitch." What in the world does that have to do with changing pitchers?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You refused to allow a pitching change or a sub or some other legal move. Explain that to the committee.
I did? When did I do that?

What the offense (I promise, the offense was not trying to do a pitching change)... did is EXACTLY what this rule is intended to prevent.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not if I was hearing the protest, which I do from time to time.

In the original scenario, I just wouldn't call the out. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or at least look confused and take a minute or two to decide it is, indeed, an out.

Rita
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had a team once try something similar after a batter was hit by the pitch. Time limit was going to be announced over the loud speaker. Once the hit batter got to first, the coach told him to start running to second. The hope was he would get tagged out before the announcement.

Problem (or solution depending on your point of view) was that the ball is dead after a hit batter and isn't put back in play until the pitcher engages the rubber and the umpire says "play." The runner took off for second before any of this happened and during the ensuing confusion, time limit was announced. Game Over.

Edit to add: Clarification, we finished the inning, but no new inning started.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I did? When did I do that?

What the offense (I promise, the offense was not trying to do a pitching change)... did is EXACTLY what this rule is intended to prevent.
In post #2 you said:

In practice, you might opt to not see this action, and then remind coach that tactics designed to consume time or extend the game (i.e. monkey with the clock) are immediate grounds for forfeit - no warning.

Changing a pitcher is a legal move. Who are you to decide I can't do it?
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You're wrong, Rich. This becomes a judgement issue. If I feel that any action is intended to delay or shorten the game, it becomes illegal. Been to the protest committee on this one and it was denied.
They were idiots.

And I'm not the only one here suggesting that you let the teams play out the tactics.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In post #2 you said:

In practice, you might opt to not see this action, and then remind coach that tactics designed to consume time or extend the game (i.e. monkey with the clock) are immediate grounds for forfeit - no warning.

Changing a pitcher is a legal move. Who are you to decide I can't do it?
Like I said ... if you change the scenario to be something different from the OP, you might get a different result.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 09:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
They were idiots.

And I'm not the only one here suggesting that you let the teams play out the tactics.
As soon as I heard a coach do that, I'd probably call time and need to tie my shoe for a few minutes. Or get more baseballs. Or something.

Thankfully very few of my dates have time limits.