The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 22, 2015, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Batter's Out By Rule or

Situation . During a timed little league game with 2 outs and less than 1 min in the game . The 3rd base coach ( Home Team )calls time and yells out to the batter to step across the plate when the picture begins his motion to pitch. By rule this is an out .My question is do you have to call the batter out. Also note that the Home Team is losing 15 -2 and the weather is bad
Old Wed Apr 22, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
Situation . During a timed little league game with 2 outs and less than 1 min in the game . The 3rd base coach ( Home Team )calls time and yells out to the batter to step across the plate when the picture begins his motion to pitch. By rule this is an out .My question is do you have to call the batter out. Also note that the Home Team is losing 15 -2 and the weather is bad
Home team just forfeited.

In practice, you might opt to not see this action, and then remind coach that tactics designed to consume time or extend the game (i.e. monkey with the clock) are immediate grounds for forfeit - no warning.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 22, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Home team just forfeited.

In practice, you might opt to not see this action, and then remind coach that tactics designed to consume time or extend the game (i.e. monkey with the clock) are immediate grounds for forfeit - no warning.
Is the clock visible? If not, time limit has been reached. Game over. You can tell the coach you were going to let the batter complete his at bat before announcing time limit as a courtesy, but the time limit had expired and no new inning will begin.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2015, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
Any ulterior motives possible? Some innocent, some not? Run up pitch count on stud team? Need to get subs in with coach unaware of rule? Need to get subs in for parents? What inning was it BTW?
Old Wed Apr 22, 2015, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Game over due to time limit. If coach complains toss him for being an idiot.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Coach wants to get to the next inning.

The counter move is for the defense to immediately (before you put the ball back in play and/or throwing the pitch) call time for a conference - thus going past the (illegal) time limit. You can change pitchers every batter. Send in a defensive sub after every pitch. All valid moves. Part of the game.

Gonna forfeit the other way for those moves?

Let the teams play out their tactics. Time limits ( or impending darkness, bad weather approaching, impending curfew, etc.) create stalling or hurry-up actions. Been going on ever since the game was first played. Don't insert yourself unless it gets really obnoxious.

Did I mention that time limits aren't legal in most cases? Why not refuse to observe that rule?

Last edited by Rich Ives; Thu Apr 23, 2015 at 09:45am.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Gonna forfeit the other way for those moves?
No. Gonna warn, the very first time I hear it, preferably before I see it. In 22 years, I've NEVER had the warning go unheeded.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. Gonna warn, the very first time I hear it, preferably before I see it. In 22 years, I've NEVER had the warning go unheeded.
You're going to warn them for making a legal move? You'll lose that one at the protest committee.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 02:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Not if I was hearing the protest, which I do from time to time.

In the original scenario, I just wouldn't call the out. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're going to warn them for making a legal move? You'll lose that one at the protest committee.
Seriously?

Exactly what is there to protest? I inform coach of the rule - that's it. Nothing remotely protestable in this situation.

And if you don't think the situation in the OP is EXACTLY what this rule is meant for - when WOULD you think that rule would apply?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Call time, brush the plate and then the pitchers mound if necessary. If time hasn't run out, brush the plate again. Problem solved
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Is the clock visible? If not, time limit has been reached. Game over. You can tell the coach you were going to let the batter complete his at bat before announcing time limit as a courtesy, but the time limit had expired and no new inning will begin.
Interestingly, when most venues put a time limit it says no inning shall begin after so and so. They don't address the fact that if the appropriate number of half innings have not been completed you do not have a complete game. You have a suspended game by rule. I happily ignore that quandary in all of my time limit games that haven't reached the proper half inning.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not if I was hearing the protest, which I do from time to time.

In the original scenario, I just wouldn't call the out. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He'd lose if I was on the committee.

"The manager went to change his pitcher and you tossed him and forfeited the game? Did I hear that right?"

"He was stalling".

"So you think you get to decide if he can change pitchers or not?"

"He was stalling".

"So he can only change his pitcher of there is more than some amount of time left? How much time?"
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seriously?

Exactly what is there to protest? I inform coach of the rule - that's it. Nothing remotely protestable in this situation.

And if you don't think the situation in the OP is EXACTLY what this rule is meant for - when WOULD you think that rule would apply?
You refused to allow a pitching change or a sub or some other legal move. Explain that to the committee.

Stalling and stretching were fairly common in MLB before they changed the end of game rules. It still happens when bad weather is approaching and the game isn't official yet. Team gaining the advantage makes some moves. NO ONE CARES because they want to be able to do the same thing.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You refused to allow a pitching change or a sub or some other legal move. Explain that to the committee.

Stalling and stretching were fairly common in MLB before they changed the end of game rules. It still happens when bad weather is approaching and the game isn't official yet. Team gaining the advantage makes some moves. NO ONE CARES because they want to be able to do the same thing.
You're wrong, Rich. This becomes a judgement issue. If I feel that any action is intended to delay or shorten the game, it becomes illegal. Been to the protest committee on this one and it was denied.