The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:37am
Coach Paul

2010 interps...SITUATION 6

2010 interps...

SITUATION 6: R1, on second base, rounds third and runs into F5 as he attempts to field a foul fly ball. This action occurred with (a) a count of 1-1; (b) a count of 1-2; or (c) two outs. RULING: In all three instances, R1 is out for his interference. In (a), the batter returns to bat with a count of 1-2 and in (b), the batter returns to bat with a count of 1-2 as the pitch is treated as a foul for the batter’s count. In (c), B4 will lead off in his team’s next offensive half-inning. (7-4-1f)

I'm unclear of the (c) ruling because it seems to lack context. Is B4 the batter who hit the foul fly ball, or is he the next batter in the line-up? The situation does not tell us which batter is at the plate.

In my familiar lingo R1 on second base is simply referred to as R2. The batter is simply B1 for every situation because once he hits the ball he is then the BR batter/runner until he reaches safely. R1 is always the runner occupying first, R2 is the runner occupying second, and R3 is the runner occupying third.
Baseball Instructor / Coach
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post
2010 interps...

SITUATION 6: R1, on second base, rounds third and runs into F5 as he attempts to field a foul fly ball. This action occurred with (a) a count of 1-1; (b) a count of 1-2; or (c) two outs. RULING: In all three instances, R1 is out for his interference. In (a), the batter returns to bat with a count of 1-2 and in (b), the batter returns to bat with a count of 1-2 as the pitch is treated as a foul for the batter’s count. In (c), B4 will lead off in his team’s next offensive half-inning. (7-4-1f)

I'm unclear of the (c) ruling because it seems to lack context. Is B4 the batter who hit the foul fly ball, or is he the next batter in the line-up? The situation does not tell us which batter is at the plate.

In my familiar lingo R1 on second base is simply referred to as R2. The batter is simply B1 for every situation because once he hits the ball he is then the BR batter/runner until he reaches safely. R1 is always the runner occupying first, R2 is the runner occupying second, and R3 is the runner occupying third.
B4 is the batter who hit the fly ball.

(One of B1, B2, B3 became "R1 at second", and the other two made outs already)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:24am
Coach Paul

Great. Thanks. I figured the same batter would return because he never concluded his at bat.

I guess the logic chain would be something like this...B1 became R1, B2 and B3 made outs bringing us to the current situation of 2 outs, R1 at 3rd, and B4 at the plate. B4 hit the fly foul and R1 interfered with F5 and is penalized for the 3rd out. Inning over. B4 returns next inning to lead off.
Baseball Instructor / Coach