The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Batter's position in box

Little League Rule 6.03: Batter's legal position is with both feet "within" box.

Batter takes an extremely open stance. During wind up I see the front foot on the outside line, with heel on the ground and clearly outside of box (about 3 inches). I don't have time to correct his position. Batter squares to bunt, slides lead foot back inside of box, and foul tips the pitch.

I call batter out for starting with foot partially outside the box. Manager goes ape s.... and wants to protest (batter is his son of course). I second guess my call and reverse it to a strike (shame on me!). Of course the other manager blows up and wants to protest. This is the 3rd batter of the game and pretty much set the tone.

Clearly 6.03 describes batter must start with both feet inside box. What is the penalty if he makes contact with the ball?
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

If the batter starts partially (or entirely) outside the box -- fix it if you can. If you don't fix it, then there's no penalty for this action.

The penalty is only for hitting the ball with the foot entirely outside the box (or, in some codes, touching the plate). The batter didn't do that in your play, and so "no call" (well, just the strike) was the right call.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

A) Don't let them go ape-sh&%. Even if you botch a call, like it sounds like you did. They still don't get to go ape-sh&%.
B) The "penalty" for not being in the box is nothing... it's basically - don't allow a pitch until he's in the box. If he got in and slid out before you could stop the pitch, it's just a pitch. Not an out.
C) The penalty for hitting the ball while touching the front line is also nothing.

All you have here is a foul tip.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Siler View Post
Little League Rule 6.03: Batter's legal position is with both feet "within" box.

Batter takes an extremely open stance. During wind up I see the front foot on the outside line, with heel on the ground and clearly outside of box (about 3 inches). I don't have time to correct his position. Batter squares to bunt, slides lead foot back inside of box, and foul tips the pitch.

I call batter out for starting with foot partially outside the box. Manager goes ape s.... and wants to protest (batter is his son of course). I second guess my call and reverse it to a strike (shame on me!). Of course the other manager blows up and wants to protest. This is the 3rd batter of the game and pretty much set the tone.

Clearly 6.03 describes batter must start with both feet inside box. What is the penalty if he makes contact with the ball?
Once he makes contact with the ball he is allowed to have either foot in a position where part of the foot is outside but part is touching the line. If the foot is completely outside when he contacts the ball the batter is out. 6.06(a).
Prior to the pitch 6.03 requires the foot to be totally in the box. Whether you require that depends on level of play, where the foot is, how far the foot is extending, etc. if you do require it there is no penalty. You just ask them to comply. NCAA and FED add a requirement about not touching HP when contacting the ball.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for clearing this up. I should have known I would get called out for mentioning the manager's demeanor. After 37 years in law enforcement you learn to be patient to people's rantings. I take pride in controlling my games, but admit I can be a little too patient with managers at times, trying to keep them in the game.