The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   More Courtesy Runner Issues (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97767-more-courtesy-runner-issues.html)

harmbu Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19pm

More Courtesy Runner Issues

This happened in an NFHS game tonight and I wanted to see if it was properly applied:

#23 pinch hit for #4 who was the catcher. #23 singles and the offensive coach puts in a courtesy runner. The defensive coach says that this cannot happen because #23 is a pinch hitter and not the catcher. Is he correct?

Later in the game the BU tells the coach that if the DH is batting for the pitcher or catcher a courtesy runner can be used for the DH. Is he correct?

charliej47 Fri Apr 18, 2014 06:14am

As #23 has not played defense, do not allow a CR.

As the DH is not the pitcher or the catcher, do not allow a CR.:D

bob jenkins Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:21am

I agree with Charlie on these.

Note that in the first play, #4 (F2 the previous half-inning) could be re-entered, and then a CR could be used.

harmbu Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:53am

Rule Book

I agree on both points but habe not been able to find how to prove it in the rule book. Can anyone hell there?

john5396 Fri Apr 18, 2014 08:07am

Substitute S1 bats for F1. Does S1 have to complete pitching an at bat during the next 1/2 inning. Of course not. Projected substitues are not allowed. players who substitute while a team is on offense do not have a defensive position till the team takes the field on defense. At that time S1 or another player becomes F1.

bob jenkins Fri Apr 18, 2014 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 932142)
I agree on both points but habe not been able to find how to prove it in the rule book. Can anyone hell there?

1) 3.1.1M

2) Rule CR1 specifically saysF1 or F2 -- not DH

Manny A Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 932139)
Note that in the first play, #4 (F2 the previous half-inning) could be re-entered, and then a CR could be used.

That's allowed in FED baseball? It's not allowed in FED softball. In FED softball, the pitcher or catcher from the previous half-inning has to be the player who bats and gets on base in order for a CR to be legal.

bob jenkins Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932157)
That's allowed in FED baseball?

Yes.

charliej47 Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932157)
That's allowed in FED baseball? It's not allowed in FED softball. In FED softball, the pitcher or catcher from the previous half-inning has to be the player who bats and gets on base in order for a CR to be legal.

Please site rule. AS my books are not available.:D

bob jenkins Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 932163)
Please site rule. AS my books are not available.:D

In baseball, I think it's 2005 interp, situation 2. That's from memory, but it's come up so often ....

You can search on this forum for it.

umpjim Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 932164)
In baseball, I think it's 2005 interp, situation 2. That's from memory, but it's come up so often ....

You can search on this forum for it.

Yep, good memory!
SITUATION 2: In the home half of the third inning, Team A’s catcher is legally pinch-hit for by S1. S1 draws a walk, and the coach legally re-enters the catcher. Now, with the catcher on first base, the home team’s coach requests and uses a courtesy runner for the catcher. RULING: This is a legal use of the courtesy runner. (Speed-Up Rules)

w_sohl Fri Apr 18, 2014 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 932142)

Courtesy runners are for the pitcher and catcher, not John who is the pitcher or Jim who is the catcher. Therefore when Bob come in to PR he is neither a pitcher nor a catcher so he cannot be CR for. The CR is a positional substitution. If a player comes in on offense as a substitute for the pitcher or catcher they are only a pinch hitter and/or pinch runner and have not yet become the pitcher or catcher. That is exactly how it should be explained.

harmbu Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37am

That is exactly how I explained it

That is exactly how I explained it but the umpires told me I was wrong and the substitute was now the catcher. This is a problem I have had in the past. I can show the umpires exactly what the rule book says but the "interpret" it to mean what they want it to mean. They even told me they contacted their interpreter and that he confirmed that they were correct. I have no way of knowing that they did or did not contact him but what am I to do if he says something in black and white in the rule book is wrong?

Matt Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 932210)
That is exactly how I explained it but the umpires told me I was wrong and the substitute was now the catcher. This is a problem I have had in the past. I can show the umpires exactly what the rule book says but the "interpret" it to mean what they want it to mean. They even told me they contacted their interpreter and that he confirmed that they were correct. I have no way of knowing that they did or did not contact him but what am I to do if he says something in black and white in the rule book is wrong?

Protest, if you can.

That being said, until someone showed me that interpretation, I had the same opinion, because I was keeping the intent of the rule in mind.

jicecone Sat Apr 19, 2014 08:54am

I disagree.

Case play 3.1.1 Sit M does not cover this situation. and the interp presented is different than the situation presented in thread No. 1. All sit 2 said was the way the coach utilized the sub and catcher was legal. It does not say that the starting catcher has to come back in the game in order for there to be CR.

Having said that, where in the rule book or Case book does it say a (Pinch hitter)/ Substitute does not become a catcher or pitcher when substituting for that player on offense.

Just give a rule reference and not your opinion, and this whole thing is solved.