The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   I Missed This Question .... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97298-i-missed-question.html)

Spence Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41pm

I Missed This Question ....

I missed the following question on a test:

With a runner on third (R3) a batter hits a ball that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally prevented by the runner R3 from catching the ball.

What's the call?

Answer was that the batter is out. I'm struggling to wrap my brain around that answer.

Does the "accidental" aspect play into the ruling at all?

Does fair/foul have an impact on who is out?

Tell me what questions I'm not asking myself.

Matt Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56pm

What rules? Who prevented him?

Spence Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 923185)
What rules? Who prevented him?

Sorry. Fixed it. Runner on 3rd prevented F5 from catching the fly ball that was over foul territory.

Matt Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15pm

Where was the out possible?

cookie Mon Feb 17, 2014 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 923182)
I missed the following question on a test:

With a runner on third (R3) a batter hits a ball that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally prevented by the runner R3 from catching the ball.

What's the call?

Answer was that the batter is out. I'm struggling to wrap my brain around that answer.

Does the "accidental" aspect play into the ruling at all?

Does fair/foul have an impact on who is out?

Tell me what questions I'm not asking myself.

Are you reading the question (Fed Test) correctly? There are two different questions on the test, one right after the other with almost the exact same wording. One has the 3rd base coach "accidentally" interfering with a foul fly ball catch; the other has the runner at 3rd "accidentally" interfering with a foul fly catch. Both of them are "outs," though two different players are declared out.

Read Rule 7-4-1(f), then Casebook plays 7.4.1(H) and 8.4.2(B)

Spence Mon Feb 17, 2014 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 923226)
Are you reading the question (Fed Test) correctly? There are two different questions on the test, one right after the other with almost the exact same wording. One has the 3rd base coach "accidentally" interfering with a foul fly ball catch; the other has the runner at 3rd "accidentally" interfering with a foul fly catch. Both of them are "outs," though two different players are declared out.

Read Rule 7-4-1(f), then Casebook plays 7.4.1(H) and 8.4.2(B)

28) With a runner on third, the batter hits a high pop fly that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally prevented from catching the ball by the runner at third base.
1. Foul ball. YOUR ANSWER
2. The runner at third is out.
3. The batter is out.
4. The coach is restricted to the bench and the coaching box must remain unoccupied.
Reference: 8-4-2g

I copied the question and the answer I got back. I see why my answer was wrong. I just can't figure out why the batter is out. You can't see it from what I copied but they have a mark next to both my answer and the correct answer. They have 3 as the correct answer.

Spence Mon Feb 17, 2014 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 923190)
Where was the out possible?

The batter.

However, 8.4.2 Sit B in the current casebook has the exact same play and it has the runner on third being declared out.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 923230)
The batter.

However, 8.4.2 Sit B in the current casebook has the exact same play and it has the runner on third being declared out.

This FED rule was changed a few years ago. It used to be that the batter was out. Now it's the runner who is out. Someone just forgto to change the answer key.

I think I have heard that this question has been acknowledged by FED (or some state(s) ) to be incorrect.

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 923231)
This FED rule was changed a few years ago. It used to be that the batter was out. Now it's the runner who is out. Someone just forgto to change the answer key.

I think I have heard that this question has been acknowledged by FED (or some state(s) ) to be incorrect.

I don't remember, but does it matter how many outs are remaining?

I feel like I remember reading at some point that w/ two outs we get the batter, w/ < 2 out we get the runner.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 923233)
I don't remember, but does it matter how many outs are remaining?

I feel like I remember reading at some point that w/ two outs we get the batter, w/ < 2 out we get the runner.

Not on this play.

Forest Ump Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 923233)

You're thinking of batters interference with a runner coming home.

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 923257)
You're thinking of batters interference with a runner coming home.

Gotcha

CT1 Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:07pm

R3 (the player who interfered) is out. Don't forget to add a strike to the count if there were less than 2 strikes already.

dash_riprock Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24pm

If the ball was fair, I think the batter would get 1st.

bwburke94 Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 923385)
If the ball was fair, I think the batter would get 1st.

Correct, but it was a foul ball so it's irrelevant here.