The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Does officiating make you watch less sports?

I've found that with officiating, I'm so involved with games that I find it boring to watch games on TV or in the stands unless I'm observing another official. I think ever since I started officiating, I've watched fewer and fewer sports, anyone else feel similarly?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I've found that with officiating, I'm so involved with games that I find it boring to watch games on TV or in the stands unless I'm observing another official. I think ever since I started officiating, I've watched fewer and fewer sports, anyone else feel similarly?
I haven't noticed a change in my viewing habits, either in person or on TV. I have noticed in addition to the teams I also pay attention to what the officials are doing as well.

I also have become aware that many of the announcers and fans around me usually have little to no idea of the rules, but haven't we all realized that?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 08:37am
Do not give a damn!!

It is harder to watch games that I want to watch during the specific sport season for sure, but it does not hurt my desire to watch things I would normally watch.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Some book I read had a quote to the effect of "Officiating sucks the 'fan' right out of you."

Some truth to that, I think.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some book I read had a quote to the effect of "Officiating sucks the 'fan' right out of you."

Some truth to that, I think.
If that means not watching in the way a typical dumbass fan watches, I like to think I'm the better for it.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

After many years of officiating, playing and coaching, I can still enjoy watching the sports, however, what totally drives me crazy is the empty airheads that announce it.

Actually officiating has taught me to watch them more objectively just as you should be officiating. You can actually appreciate the actual art of the sport and the talent it takes to participate at any given level, more so than the Bull***T hoopla that goes on around it.

IMO.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:33am
🤔😹

Smile YES. Absolutely!

Not only have I been too busy working games to watch TV, but I've lost all patience with broadcasters. They need to implement one of two policies: No comments about officials whatsoever, or educate each announcer on the rules and allow them to ONLY speak the truth.
I truly believe this would improve sportsmanship at all levels. Kids start playing at a young age, are impressionable and only know what they are told - whether it's factual or not.
Who else wants to advocate with us? This is on the top of my bucket list. It'll happen in our lifetime.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I definitely have lost interest.

I didn't even know who was playing in the Super Bowl!

But what irks me is the overpaid crybabies playing the sport.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:39am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm not sure if it was officiating or just getting older but I've grown to appreciate a wider variety of sports for their own merits.

I've also become a much more dispassionate fan than I used to be and find I have a hard time listening to the generally clueless fans in the stands.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:23pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Like others, my passion for watching sports hasn't waned since I started officiating. But I do watch sports with a different perspective and mind set.

And it's always refreshing to see the big boys (and girls) miss calls, even at their skill level. It doesn't make me feel as bad when I do it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 09:58pm
Is this a legal title?

The running joke at home, whenever my wife suggests taking a trip one of the minor-league parks as a temporary respite from weekend boredom, as we often did in our courtin' days, is "I don't watch live baseball unless I get paid to."
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 10:03pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
...I have a hard time listening to the generally clueless fans in the stands.
Based on the answers to the questions I ask one of my regular baseball partners who also referees basketball, I just know that any referee sitting near me in the stands at a HS basketball game wants to slap the snot out of me about three times per half.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Being a sports official has taught me not to "bash" my brothers in other sports!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I watch a lot of sports. But in baseball games I pay as much attention to the umpires as I do the game, makes it more interesting I think.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Being a sports official has taught me not to "bash" my brothers in other sports!

See, I'm the opposite. I find it quite easy to smash basketball and football officials. They take so much grief from coaches, that us baseball umpires would eject for in a heartbeat, I've lost all respect for them. They allow themselves to be hollered for an entire game, yet we don't. I don't get that.

One my "favorite" things is to go watch a HS basketball game, and time how long it would take for me to EJ a coach. Most of the time, they wouldn't last five minutes.

But I don't focus on officials anymore, nor do watch any less sports. I am watching more college, and less pro stuff, though. After my own games, I do come home a flip on the end of a Padres tilt. (I love to suffer. I guess why I usually volunteer to do the plate, and root for the hapless Friars).