The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:15pm
Administrator

WS Obstruction, Part II

Rather than hijack the Original Thread and as someone, who until this Summer (Roy Hobbs using MLB Rules) only umpired baseball under NFHS Rules, I have a few questions that I would like clarified.

We all can agree that R2 did not interfere with F5's attempt to catch F2's throw and that after F2 aquired 3B F5 did interfere with R2's attempt to advance to HP.

NFHS Rules are easy. (a) If R2 is put out between 3B and HP while advancing to HP, R2 will be awarded HP. (b) If R2 decides to return to 3B after F5's obstruction, R2 will be awarded HP because of the obstruction. (c) If R2 is put out attempting to return to 3B after the obsturction, R2 will be awarded HP.

I also know that with regard to (a) under MLB Rules it is the Umpire's decision as to whether to allow the out to stand or award R2 HP.

But how are NCAA Rules applied to (a), (b), and (c), and how are MLB Rules applied to (b) and (c)?

I ask these questions because it is not after Novemer 01st and will be in Basketball Mode only until the end of the NCAA Men's/Women's Final Fours (was I supposed to pay CBS money for saying Final Four, ). Who am I kidding I am always in Basketball Mode 24/7, 365 days per year, .

Thanks (from MTD, Jr. too) for all answers in advance.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rather than hijack the Original Thread and as someone, who until this Summer (Roy Hobbs using MLB Rules) only umpired baseball under NFHS Rules, I have a few questions that I would like clarified.

We all can agree that R2 did not interfere with F5's attempt to catch F2's throw and that after F2 aquired 3B F5 did interfere with R2's attempt to advance to HP.

NFHS Rules are easy. (a) If R2 is put out between 3B and HP while advancing to HP, R2 will be awarded HP. (b) If R2 decides to return to 3B after F5's obstruction, R2 will be awarded HP because of the obstruction. (c) If R2 is put out attempting to return to 3B after the obsturction, R2 will be awarded HP.

I also know that with regard to (a) under MLB Rules it is the Umpire's decision as to whether to allow the out to stand or award R2 HP.

But how are NCAA Rules applied to (a), (b), and (c), and how are MLB Rules applied to (b) and (c)?

I ask these questions because it is not after Novemer 01st and will be in Basketball Mode only until the end of the NCAA Men's/Women's Final Fours (was I supposed to pay CBS money for saying Final Four, ). Who am I kidding I am always in Basketball Mode 24/7, 365 days per year, .

Thanks (from MTD, Jr. too) for all answers in advance.

MTD, Sr.
OBR and NCAA OBS rules are essentially the same. Any award (or lack thereof) is made by the umpire to nullify the act of type (b) obstruction. That could be protecting the runner back to 3rd, awarding him the plate, or banging him out.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
OBR and NCAA OBS rules are essentially the same. Any award (or lack thereof) is made by the umpire to nullify the act of type (b) obstruction. That could be protecting the runner back to 3rd, awarding him the plate, or banging him out.
I agree.

I'm pretty sure this was covered in the original thread, but it's easy to see how it might have been missed.