The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Run scores?

Please give ruleset and rule:

Bases loaded, 2 outs. The batter is walked, and he advances to 1st. The runner from 1st touches 2nd but oversteps the base, and a quick throw from the infield catches him for the 3rd out. He was tagged before the runner from 3rd touched home. Does the run count?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Bases loaded, 2 outs. The batter is walked, and he advances to 1st. The runner from 1st touches 2nd but oversteps the base, and a quick throw from the infield catches him for the 3rd out. He was tagged before the runner from 3rd touched home. Does the run count?
OBR: Yes, the logic being that the run was awarded. Don't have my books, but someone will provide the cite.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

OBR, the run scores, 7.04(b).
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

FED: Run scores. NCAA: Run scores.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED: Run scores. NCAA: Run scores.
FED has a caseplay 9.1.1.C but I don't know if they have a rule that specifically addresses it like OBR. NCAA has a AR.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

2013 Edition - OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULES

7.04 Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when—
(b) The batter’s advance without liability to be put out forces the runner to vacate his base, or when the batter hits a fair ball that touches another runner or the umpire before such ball has been touched by, or has passed a fielder, if the runner is forced to advance;

Rule 7.04(b) Comment: A runner forced to advance without liability to be put out may advance past the base to which he is entitled only at his peril. If such a runner, forced to advance, is put out for the third out before a preceding runner, also forced to advance, touches home plate, the run shall score.

Play. Two out, bases full, batter walks but runner from second is overzealous and runs past third base toward home and is tagged out on a throw by the catcher. Even though two are out, the run would score on the theory that the run was forced home by the base on balls and that all the runners needed to do was proceed and touch the next base.

'nuff said
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
2013 Edition - OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULES

7.04 Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when—
(b) The batter’s advance without liability to be put out forces the runner to vacate his base, or when the batter hits a fair ball that touches another runner or the umpire before such ball has been touched by, or has passed a fielder, if the runner is forced to advance;

Rule 7.04(b) Comment: A runner forced to advance without liability to be put out may advance past the base to which he is entitled only at his peril. If such a runner, forced to advance, is put out for the third out before a preceding runner, also forced to advance, touches home plate, the run shall score.

Play. Two out, bases full, batter walks but runner from second is overzealous and runs past third base toward home and is tagged out on a throw by the catcher. Even though two are out, the run would score on the theory that the run was forced home by the base on balls and that all the runners needed to do was proceed and touch the next base.

'nuff said
Not enuff, to add a wrinkle, while OBR requires R1 and R3 to touch their base ( what to do if they don't?), I don't see in the FED or NCAA references where that is required. So in the unlikely instance of R1 being caught off 2B and R3 seeing the third out and abandoning his advance to HP, what do we have then?
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Not enuff, to add a wrinkle, while OBR requires R1 and R3 to touch their base ( what to do if they don't?), I don't see in the FED or NCAA references where that is required. So in the unlikely instance of R1 being caught off 2B and R3 seeing the third out and abandoning his advance to HP, what do we have then?
FED requires all runners to advance.

OBR: If it's the end of the game, "order" the runner to advance. If he refuses then declare him out and the game continues.

It's not really covered what to do in other than the last inning, probably because it's a pretty remote possibility in MLB.