The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 07:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Agreed, Dempster getting a 5 game suspension is a joke. He doesn't miss a start. There should be different rules for pitcher's as opposed to position players.

Pete Booth
I agree, but was trying to think of a "like" punishment.

i.e - There are 162 games in a season. If you suspend a position player for five games (for whatever reason), that's 3% of his potential season. If a starting pitcher were expected to start 30 games and was to be suspended for the equivalent 3%, that equals one start. What about relievers? What's the best way to do this?
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

And for all those who don't think baseball polices itself, MLB just suspended Dempster for 5 games.

See, like I said so many times, you can't criticize the pros though the eyes of an amateur.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
And for all those who don't think baseball polices itself, MLB just suspended Dempster for 5 games.

See, like I said so many times, you can't criticize the pros though the eyes of an amateur.
I don't really think the suspension rules out criticism of the PU at the time. Dempster should have been dumped AND he should have been suspended, as he was.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

And as the schedule lands ... he'll miss ZERO games.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 09:28am
M.A.S.H.

What's the difference between Strasburg and Dempster?
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 09:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

For those with a need to know......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Strasburg missed on several attempts, never actually hit the batter, but was eventually ejected by the PU. No suspension.

Dempster missed on several attempts and eventually hit A-Rod. No ejection, but suspension.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might also need to ask "What's the difference (in MLB's view) between ARod and whoever Strasburg hit?"
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
One plays for the Nationals, the other...

I assume you're asking why Strasburg didn't get suspended after being ejected for throwing behind Andrelton Simmons. It's quite simple, really; MLB didn't think Strasburg was trying to hit Simmons. Even some of the Braves felt that way.

Frankly, I felt that Marvin Hudson overreacted to Strasburg's pitches. For some reason, Strasburg suddenly couldn't find the zone, throwing seven straight balls, including the three wild pitches to Simmons. The first pitch to Simmons was a 55-foot curve that was way outside. The second went probably five feet behind Simmons. The third was closer but still behind him, and allowed a run to score.

Why would Strasburg try to hit Simmons and, in the process, allow a run and get himself ejected? Heck, the Nats need to beat the Braves every chance they get now. He's not going to try and hit a batter with runners on base. Besides, Strasburg had already hit Justin Upton in the previous inning, and that should have closed the door on the Nats' response to the Braves having hit Bryce Harper twice the previous game. If any additional statement needed to be made, he would've waited until Upton came back up.

I'm hoping Strasburg didn't just go Rick Ankiel on the Nats. He really looked completely lost that inning. As he walked toward the dugout after the ejection, he seemed more in a daze than anything else.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 11:42am.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:50am
M.A.S.H.

Strasburg also just walked off the field. No argument or nothing.

Point is one was ejected for missing the other wasn't when it was obvious what he was doing.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Well said Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Besides, Strasburg had already hit Justin Upton in the previous inning, and that should have closed the door on the Nats' response to the Braves having hit Bryce Harper twice the previous game. If any additional statement needed to be made, he would've waited until Upton came back up..
Three times in their last two sereis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm hoping Strasburg didn't just go Rick Ankiel on the Nats. He really looked completely lost that inning. As he walked toward the dugout after the ejection, he seemed more in a daze than anything else.
I was thinking the same thing. Strasburg is turning into a delicate, china doll. One never knows what you'll get from him.

I was at his first start - 14K's against the Pirates. One of the most electric and best sports events I've ever been to. Let's hope it's not his best performance ever and there are more to come......
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What equates to 1 game is BS, imo.

He should have been dumped. He had his chance to drill him "undetected" and he missed.
I think anytime you hit someone on purpose you should be ejected. Forget all this warning stuff and "This is pro ball" crap that I hear about at that level. The NFL is cracking down on stuff. The NBA is cracking down on stuff. What the heck is wrong with MLB. They allow all this fighting and bench clearing while even the NHL makes it clear if a single person comes off the bench in that sport they will be ejected and suspended. All these stupid, unwritten rules.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think there is an undertone regarding the Dempster that MLB is saying "Mr. Dempster, we will police the "A-Rod" situation ourselves and if anyone else wants to get involved here will be the penalty".....

Just IMO
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They allow all this fighting and bench clearing while even the NHL makes it clear if a single person comes off the bench in that sport they will be ejected and suspended.
Wouldn't it be great if all the relief pitchers in the bullpens got ejected and suspended if they left their areas and jogged toward the mound/plate during a "base-brawl?"
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Wouldn't it be great if all the relief pitchers in the bullpens got ejected and suspended if they left their areas and jogged toward the mound/plate during a "base-brawl?"
You do not even have to eject them, suspend their behinds. Then when bullpens are going to be messed up during a crucial stretch, this crap will stop.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 01:56pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Strasburg also just walked off the field. No argument or nothing.

Point is one was ejected for missing the other wasn't when it was obvious what he was doing.
Obvious to who? You?

Parse what actually happened. In the bottom of the first inning, after Heyward hits a home run, Strasburg hits Upton on the very first pitch he throws to him. Warnings are issued. Why Upton? Who knows. Maybe it's because he hit the walk-off home run the night before, and Harper was hit by an Atlanta pitcher after Harper jacked one.

In the bottom of the second, Strasburg pitches four straight balls to Jordan Schafer. Johnson sends pitching coach McCatty out to talk to Strasburg. His first pitch to Simmons is well outside and in the dirt, allowing Schafer to go to second. The next pitch goes way behind Simmons, and Schafer goes to third. The last pitch he throws, again behind Simmons, allows Schafer to score. On the play, Strasburg runs in to cover home. I don't know about you, but if I'm trying to hit a batter, the last thing I'm going to do after being unsuccessful twice is run toward him while he's still at the plate with the bat in his hand.

Google articles on the Strasburg ejection. There are players on the Braves team that felt Strasburg wasn't trying to hit Simmons. After he hit Upton the previous inning, don't you think that Simmons or other Atlanta players would have said or done something if they felt Strasburg was throwing at him? The fact is, nobody said a word. Nobody barked from the dugout. Nobody trotted in from the bullpen. Nothing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker