The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The information from the report and from the talking heads is not yet accurate. ESPN stated last night that the infamous short-outfield IFF call from last year would be reviewable. That one is entirely judgement (whether it was catchable) and should not be reviewable.
Review exists solely for judgement calls.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:28am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
True, but they have to be clearly missed judgment calls such as when an umpire judges the catcher tagged the runner before the runner touched home, and replays show the exact opposite.

The IFF call from last year's playoffs was not a missed judgment call. It was simply a call where different judgments may exist, such as on balls and strikes, checked swings, interference and obstruction. You can't legitimately review those.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 07:31am.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And 3 of the 7 wouldn't have been overturned -- typical idiocy by McPaper.
That's what I was thinking - everyone just wants a "perfect world" and it won't ever happen.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

7 freaking calls over a 40 yr. time span, has someone's panties in a frenzy? And it's only someone's "OPINION", (and we know what those are synonymous with), that they were blown calls.

Get a life.

Listen, bottom line here is that if your going to loose sleep about whether someone is going to try and overrule your decisions on the field whether by picture, replay, verbal abuse or any other means, then maybe you need a little thicker skin to do this job. Over thousands of games that I have officiated in two sports, I find it nearly impossible to count on two fingers the number of games where everyone has agreed with every one of my calls.

I still sleep soundly, each and every night. (with the exception of the nights I pig out out on the delicious Mexican food)
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 09:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
7 freaking calls over a 40 yr. time span, has someone's panties in a frenzy?
Well, you know there were probably 7 calls over the last 40 days that would get overturned by the new replay system. These so-called expert journalists just felt 7 critical calls made during post-season play were worthy of mentioning in their argument.

The problem is, not all 7 deserved mentioning, and they probably left out a few others that were more applicable. Just off the top of my head, I recall the gross phantom tag by Chuck Knoblauch against Jose Offermann in the 1999 ALCS that would get an overturn.

The Armbrister/Fisk collision? Hell no. In fact, there's a rule that covers that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

And then to top the week off I sat and watched a portion of the NYY vs Red Sox game yesterday until I had to shut it down because of this horrible announcer whose first name is Tim.

What an idiot he is. You just can't fix Stupid.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Thinking about stupid announcers,

I think that replay in the NFL has forced the announcers to know the rules a bit better. They have to be able to talk about the play like "I think the QB's hand was moving forward... The referee is going to call this an incomplete pass". Perhaps the addition of instant replay to more situations in MLB will force the talking heads to actually learn some of the rules...

I know, fat chance, but I can hope...
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yes but on IFF, whether it was or was not catchable TRULY is judgment, and not something concrete that can be seen on replay (like safe/out, tag/no tag, etc) - how are you going to review that and definitely change a call like this one.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:49am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Thinking about stupid announcers,

I think that replay in the NFL has forced the announcers to know the rules a bit better. They have to be able to talk about the play like "I think the QB's hand was moving forward... The referee is going to call this an incomplete pass". Perhaps the addition of instant replay to more situations in MLB will force the talking heads to actually learn some of the rules...

I know, fat chance, but I can hope...
Doubtful. The overwhelmingly vast majority of plays that will get reviewed under the MLB's expansion of IR use will be your questionable fair/foul and catch/no catch calls, as well as routine bangers at the bases.

Don't forget that these announcers were ball players at one time. The same is true about managers. Do you really expect managers to learn the rules so that they will know when to challenge a rule misinterpretation for the suits in New York to review? Naah, they'll save their challenges for the safe/out call.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:46am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Do you really expect managers to learn the rules so that they will know when to challenge a rule misinterpretation for the suits in New York to review? Naah, they'll save their challenges for the safe/out call.
I certainly hope so. When you think they misinterpret a rule, you don't challenge; you protest.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I certainly hope so. When you think they misinterpret a rule, you don't challenge; you protest.
True. But the question now becomes, will this be something that gets reviewed immediately under the IR expansion?

Take a recent example, the one where an entire crew didn't know the substitute pitching rule, and allowed a pitcher to be replaced when that pitcher never faced a batter. Sure, the manager can protest. But that protest just gets lodged and gets reviewed later, well after the game ends.

What if a manager wants to exercise one of his IR challenges on this so that he can get the matter resolved immediately, and not have to wait for the protest process to run its course. Will that be allowed?

I say No. Rule misinterps will probably still go through the protest route, just like it does now. So I don't see the new IR expansion doing anything to get announcers to bone up on rules as john5396 hopes.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...tching-change/
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:02pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Here is another situation:

Runner at third, bottom of the ninth two out tied game, ground ball to third, runner holds, on the throw to first the runner at third breaks for home, the play at first is ruled out, extra innings. However home team manager challenges and the call is overturned, but the runner at third, who was halfway to home when the batter is ruled out, does he score? The first baseman could say if the first base umpire had ruled the batter safe, he would have then throw home to retire the runner trying to score.
They aren't going to use challenges in U10 baseball, which is about the highest level you'll see R3 do that in the situation you described.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:56pm
Broadcaster

One thing I would like to see is IR cause fewer arguments. On a bang/bang play, if the manager comes out the umpire would say "are you requesting a challenge? If not, get back to the dugout." That way as the game is slowed down by challenges, it is sped up by the lack of unchallenged arguments.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What if a manager wants to exercise one of his IR challenges on this so that he can get the matter resolved immediately, and not have to wait for the protest process to run its course. Will that be allowed?
No manager would want to do that. A winnable protest is a managers best friend. Win the game, drop the protest. Lose the game replay from the point of your protest.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 03:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
One thing I would like to see is IR cause fewer arguments. On a bang/bang play, if the manager comes out the umpire would say "are you requesting a challenge? If not, get back to the dugout." That way as the game is slowed down by challenges, it is sped up by the lack of unchallenged arguments.
I'm thinking that will be part of the process.

Challenge or get ejected, manager's choice.