Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
One thing I would like to see is IR cause fewer arguments. On a bang/bang play, if the manager comes out the umpire would say "are you requesting a challenge? If not, get back to the dugout." That way as the game is slowed down by challenges, it is sped up by the lack of unchallenged arguments.
What about if the manager wants the umpire to seek help so he doesn't have to use a challenge?

We have seen calls changed after the umpires huddled. With IR the umpire who made the call most likely isn't going to check with his partners figuring if the coach doesn't like it he can challenge.

Again as i previously mentioned this is the infant stage and I am pretty certain IR will be tweaked after it's indoctrination.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
One thing I would like to see is IR cause fewer arguments. On a bang/bang play, if the manager comes out the umpire would say "are you requesting a challenge? If not, get back to the dugout." That way as the game is slowed down by challenges, it is sped up by the lack of unchallenged arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm thinking that will be part of the process.

Challenge or get ejected, manager's choice.
Yeah I've been thinking about this too. If you come out on the field, you have to challenge or be ejected. So if you're out of challenges and come on the field to argue a call, it's time to hit the showers.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

After watching the shenanigans from Chad Fairchild and Ted Barrett's crew this week I am now 100% in favor of instant replay.

In fact Michael Kay and David Cone of the YES network are going over chapter and verse all the missed calls by Ted Barrett's crew this week, which is remarkable because they were all in favor of the Yankees.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 09:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

You sure hate Chad Fairchild.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Getting similar to hockey......

Major League Baseball to move ahead with instant replay - ESPN
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 12:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

From the MLB press release:

"If a manager is out of challenges, an umpire probably will be allowed to call for a review if he wants to"

Poor English notwithstanding, this fixes nothing. A manager who is out of challenges will argue and argue until the umpire calls for the review. After all, which umpire is going to NOT call for a review at the risk of getting the call wrong? If MLB umpires agree to the proposal under the "getting the calls right" mantra, none of them are going to refuse to check with the suits in NYC.

So in my mind, the manager will really have unlimited challenges.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 02:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

There is an easy way to fix that.

If they're going to implement instant replay, get rid of tolerating arguing.

The manager can use a challenge if he has one, otherwise he has to keep his yap shut or risk being ejected.

Maybe MLB can build challenges into a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. For example: A player spikes his helmet in response to a call. Instead of getting tossed, the umpires assess his team a penalty of one challenge. If they have no challenges, the player is ejected.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here is how I would do it:

1) Any home run call, fair/foul call, ground rule double call, spectator interference call (in other words any boundary call) is subject to an umpire initiated review with no challenges at stake.

2) Any manager gets two challenges per nine innings. What if the game goes 20 innings as the Mets had this year. This is akin to the Grand Slam tennis rule in the final set a player gets three incorrect challenges every 12 games.