The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 07:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I suspect they will allow additional challenges in extra-inning games -- maybe one for every two or three extra innings.
That's not the current policy as I understand it. If a manager has used his two after-the-7th-inning challenges, c'est la vie. So he'd better use those judiciously.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 07:19am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I like this article's take on it.
From the article:

"Schuerholz said that 89 percent of umpires’ calls — including apparently all safe/out calls — would be reviewable. The 11 percent of “unreviewable” plays includes balls and strikes and whether or not a pitch hit a batter."

Really? I wonder why that's untouchable as well? I vividly recall when Derek Jeter sold a HBP where replays clearly showed the ball hitting the knob of his bat. Why not allow a challenge for that? That's as much a potential game-changer as a missed pulled foot call at first base, which, like a HBP, may be tough to see even with replay (assuming that's the reason to not allow a challenge for that).
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I think that the concept of replay is fine, however I see where there could be some potential problems with placement of baserunners on overruled calls, etc. It also probably means the end of the "neighborhood" play at second on a double play (which is fine by me).
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 08:52am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
I think that the concept of replay is fine, however I see where there could be some potential problems with placement of baserunners on overruled calls, etc. It also probably means the end of the "neighborhood" play at second on a double play (which is fine by me).
I haven't seen a "neighborhood" call in MLB in I don't know how long.

I'm guessing that baserunner placement will simply be a judgment call by the suits that are asked to adjudicate the challenge.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I haven't seen a "neighborhood" call in MLB in I don't know how long.
I certainly have.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:15am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
That's not the current policy as I understand it. If a manager has used his two after-the-7th-inning challenges, c'est la vie. So he'd better use those judiciously.
Just wait until an extra-inning game gets decided by a blown call in a playoff series.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just wait until an extra-inning game gets decided by a blown call in a playoff series.
My guess: Since there are fewer games at one time during the playoffs, all calls (or at least all extra-inning calls) will be reviewed as they happen from the central location. Similar to the NFL where there's a challenge during the first 28 minutes of each half, but only "booth reviews" during the last two minutes (or whatever the specifics are).
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
Not necessarily. In the begining yes BUT

Look at the rule changes the NFL has put in to protect the QB.

If some "high priced" F4's (ie Robinson Canoe) or F6's (Derek Jeter) are out for the season on a play in April, I can see the rule changing so that these guys do not have to take a beating, similar to the QB rules that the NFL has put in over the years. In a way, I could see MLB adopting either the FED or NCAA slide provisions (with the exception of home plate) to keep players safe.

I agree with you on the placement of runners.

This is the infant stage for MLB replay and just like the NFL, it will most likely get "tweaked" each and every year.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Here is another situation:

Runner at third, bottom of the ninth two out tied game, ground ball to third, runner holds, on the throw to first the runner at third breaks for home, the play at first is ruled out, extra innings. However home team manager challenges and the call is overturned, but the runner at third, who was halfway to home when the batter is ruled out, does he score? The first baseman could say if the first base umpire had ruled the batter safe, he would have then throw home to retire the runner trying to score.

This is the infant stage for replay and IMO, rule changes / adjustments will most likely follow:

In the play you presented I could see a rule amendment that said something along the lines of: if a call is overturned, all runners return to their TOP base unless forced to advance as a result of the over-turned call. To me that's fair because without replay the game would have gone to extra innings, it still might but at least the offense has another "shot" to win whereas without replay they wouldn't.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
So, maybe they'll change it should that happen. But don't you think that was already discussed during the negotiations before they rolled this out?
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I certainly have.
I've seen very few and the announcers get all over the ump when he does it.

It's gone. Has been for years.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just keep on of the challenges in your pocket. Not rocket science.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Not necessarily. In the begining yes BUT

Look at the rule changes the NFL has put in to protect the QB.

If some "high priced" F4's (ie Robinson Canoe) or F6's (Derek Jeter) are out for the season on a play in April, I can see the rule changing so that these guys do not have to take a beating, similar to the QB rules that the NFL has put in over the years. In a way, I could see MLB adopting either the FED or NCAA slide provisions (with the exception of home plate) to keep players safe.

I agree with you on the placement of runners.

This is the infant stage for MLB replay and just like the NFL, it will most likely get "tweaked" each and every year.

Pete Booth
I agree with you as far as the slide rule. Some of the so called "slides" that they get away with (at least in the playoffs) are ridiculous.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

The information from the report and from the talking heads is not yet accurate. ESPN stated last night that the infamous short-outfield IFF call from last year would be reviewable. That one is entirely judgement (whether it was catchable) and should not be reviewable.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the article:

"Schuerholz said that 89 percent of umpires’ calls — including apparently all safe/out calls — would be reviewable. The 11 percent of “unreviewable” plays includes balls and strikes and whether or not a pitch hit a batter."

Really? I wonder why that's untouchable as well? I vividly recall when Derek Jeter sold a HBP where replays clearly showed the ball hitting the knob of his bat. Why not allow a challenge for that? That's as much a potential game-changer as a missed pulled foot call at first base, which, like a HBP, may be tough to see even with replay (assuming that's the reason to not allow a challenge for that).
I totally agree - why isn't HBP included? A few years back, Brandon Inge (playing on the Tigers) got grazed by a pitch with the bases loaded... it would have forced in the go-ahead run. The HP umpire did not see the ball barely nick Inge's jersey and replays showed that it should have been ruled a HBP. Tigers went on to lose the game in extra innings.