The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Rules: Is This a Trip?

As stated MLB rules, DH used, lights are on due to it being a night game and the moon is in the house of Grouch Marx. I hope that covers all the preliminaries. Oh yes, this was not my game, it was relayed to me by phone.

R3 & R2, 0 out, count on the batter is 1-1. Coach comes out of the dugout, approaches the foul line but does not cross it. He calls to F1 to put the batter on, then turns and goes back into the dugout. The caller asked if this would be considered a trip.

I thought it would be interesting what others would do here. So what do you say, is it a trip?
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
As stated MLB rules, DH used, lights are on due to it being a night game and the moon is in the house of Grouch Marx. I hope that covers all the preliminaries. Oh yes, this was not my game, it was relayed to me by phone.

R3 & R2, 0 out, count on the batter is 1-1. Coach comes out of the dugout, approaches the foul line but does not cross it. He calls to F1 to put the batter on, then turns and goes back into the dugout. The caller asked if this would be considered a trip.

I thought it would be interesting what others would do here. So what do you say, is it a trip?

Yes, off the top of my head.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No. According to MLBUM a trip begins when the manager or coach crosses the foul line. The trip ends when the manager or coach leaves the circle.

This is not a trip.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I'll vote with tcarilli -- not a trip.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
No. According to MLBUM a trip begins when the manager or coach crosses the foul line. The trip ends when the manager or coach leaves the circle.

This is not a trip.
That is exactly what I told the caller. I also told the caller that there was a signal to put a man on (hand parallel, sliding across the forehead) and that he might suggest that to the coach should he see him.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 10:35am
Veteran College Umpire

OK, same rules set. Coach comes out of the dugout and out to (but not across) the foul line, and calls the infielders over to him. After a few words with them he goes back to the dugout. Is THIS a trip?

JJ
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

yes.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
OK, same rules set. Coach comes out of the dugout and out to (but not across) the foul line, and calls the infielders over to him. After a few words with them he goes back to the dugout. Is THIS a trip?

JJ
Not unless the infielder then goes to the pitcher if I read the MLBUM correctly.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

If I deemed it a legitimate defensive conference, no, I would not count it as a mound visit (see 8.06 comment).
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 09:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

FWIW, these discussions are accurate when it comes to straight pro rules. The visit rule limits the number of times a manager or coach provides guidance to the pitcher, either directly or through an intermediary. It doesn't address game delays.

But under other rule sets, the visit rule is designed more to prevent unnecessary delays to the game than it does coaching the pitcher. So in the case that JJ mentions where the coach goes out to talk to the infielders, this would be considered a visit under those rule sets.

At least that's how I understand it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also told the caller that there was a signal to put a man on (hand parallel, sliding across the forehead) and that he might suggest that to the coach should he see him.
I don't remember ever seeing that. Usually they just hold up 4 fingers (tuck the thumb).
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I don't remember ever seeing that. Usually they just hold up 4 fingers (tuck the thumb).
This is what was used when I played pro ball (eons ago). Take your right hand and form a salute, now slide this back and forth across the brim of the hat. When F1 or F2 sees this, it means "walk him". This kept the manager from having to come out and it was easier to see the sign with all the noise.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

3rd world question as far as MLB is concerned. How many times have we seen mgr come out to foul line to talk to an infielder?
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 02:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
3rd world question as far as MLB is concerned. How many times have we seen mgr come out to foul line to talk to an infielder?
Probably the same number of times a manager use the wrong arm to signal the bullpen. Oh, wait...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

According to a little birdie whom I asked, an attempt to circumvent this trip rule by doing as the OP described would be considered a trip. Just sayin'.