The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Big Papi Goes Bye-Bye

Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz ---- Correction, the HP Umpire was Tim Timmons ----
Video | MLB.com Multimedia

My question is, while still at the plate, Ortiz stepped out of the box as F1 was pitching and the pitch was called a strike. Ortiz then flipped his bat across the plate. In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 06:15am.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I wasn't paying attention but the PU looked a lot like Tim Timmons.

Not sure.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Not defending Ortiz one bit but, the count was 3-0 and it doesn't appear that he realizes he called a strike until after he threw the bat. Don't know if that actually happened that way however, if in HS the player threw the bat because of the call, yes I would toss. If it happened as mentioned above, NO.

Yes, the strike call was correct, he left the box even before the pitch was thrown.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz

My question is, while still at the plate, Ortiz stepped out of the box as F1 was pitching and the pitch was called a strike. Ortiz then flipped his bat across the plate. In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!
The big baby. He swings and misses for strike three on a pitch that would have been ball four and then he complains about the umpire?

He should be fined by the club for using the bat like that in the dugout.

Rita
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, it was Timmons. Probably could have run him for the point to the head after the at-bat, even the announcers were saying that usually gets you thrown out.

Roid rage.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
The big baby. He swings and misses for strike three on a pitch that would have been ball four and then he complains about the umpire?

He should be fined by the club for using the bat like that in the dugout.

Rita
I'm no fan of little pipi... but can you really blame him for swinging at the 6th pitch - one which "would have been ball four" when he just watched pitches 4 and 5 - both of which "should have been ball four" - be called strikes?

I have no idea what went on before this, but it seemed obvious to me that little pipi pissed off Timmons at some point and EVERYTHING was going to be a strike. Pitch 4, especially, was a ridiculous call.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm no fan of little pipi... but can you really blame him for swinging at the 6th pitch - one which "would have been ball four" when he just watched pitches 4 and 5 - both of which "should have been ball four" - be called strikes?

I have no idea what went on before this, but it seemed obvious to me that little pipi pissed off Timmons at some point and EVERYTHING was going to be a strike. Pitch 4, especially, was a ridiculous call.
Stepping out of the box before the pitch was even delivered distorted the strike zone, for sure. I wouldn't call it ridiculous, though -- based on his stance on that pitch, it caught the top of the book zone.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 01:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I was at Camden Yards yesterday. Ortiz was enthusiastically welcomed by the Orioles' faithful as he approached the plate each time up. He went 4-4, including a two-run homer.

I'm wondering how many players are contemplating beating the hell out of their dugout phones?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz ---- Correction, the HP Umpire was Tim Timmons ----

By rule the pitch is called a strike. I guess the bat flip would be similar to drawing a line in the dirt so yes, I think he gets schooled today in HS.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
By rule the pitch is called a strike. I guess the bat flip would be similar to drawing a line in the dirt so yes, I think he gets schooled today in HS.
In OBR, the pitch is called based on its merits. Its not automatically a strike (but the benefit of the doubt goes to the pitcher, and some version of pitch trak or whatever have it as a strike anyway).
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 07:46am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
By rule the pitch is called a strike.
Not in pro rules. Per 6.02(b):

The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup.
PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “Ball” or “Strike,” as the case may be.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 04:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:

In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!
Unbelievable! An ejection for that?

You must get all the big games.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Unbelievable! An ejection for that?

You must get all the big games.
Knock it off. Now.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Knock it off. Now.
Don't worry about it Welpe. I've pretty much had it with the goings on on this site. It's turning into McGruff's all over again. For myself, I don't care about the comments but it tears at the legitimacy of the site. McGruff's became a place where no one would go for advice because of all the nit picking and wars that came up whenever one of us would post. That's why we came here and tried to run this place like a training center. But over the last couple of years, it's turned into a joke with the likes of some people. It's not even worth getting upset, Welpe, I don't care anymore.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In OBR, the pitch is called based on its merits. Its not automatically a strike (but the benefit of the doubt goes to the pitcher, and some version of pitch trak or whatever have it as a strike anyway).
Understood, but the question in the post was about whether to toss in a HS game and my response was about HS.
Closed Thread