The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Big Papi Goes Bye-Bye (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95654-big-papi-goes-bye-bye.html)

ozzy6900 Sun Jul 28, 2013 09:07am

Big Papi Goes Bye-Bye

Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz ---- Correction, the HP Umpire was Tim Timmons ----
Video | MLB.com Multimedia

<iframe src="http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=29202003&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb" frameborder="0" height="224" width="400">Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

My question is, while still at the plate, Ortiz stepped out of the box as F1 was pitching and the pitch was called a strike. Ortiz then flipped his bat across the plate. In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!

Tim C Sun Jul 28, 2013 09:21am

Hmmm,

I wasn't paying attention but the PU looked a lot like Tim Timmons.

Not sure.

jicecone Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20am

Not defending Ortiz one bit but, the count was 3-0 and it doesn't appear that he realizes he called a strike until after he threw the bat. Don't know if that actually happened that way however, if in HS the player threw the bat because of the call, yes I would toss. If it happened as mentioned above, NO.

Yes, the strike call was correct, he left the box even before the pitch was thrown.

Rita C Sun Jul 28, 2013 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 900966)
Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz

My question is, while still at the plate, Ortiz stepped out of the box as F1 was pitching and the pitch was called a strike. Ortiz then flipped his bat across the plate. In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!

The big baby. He swings and misses for strike three on a pitch that would have been ball four and then he complains about the umpire?

He should be fined by the club for using the bat like that in the dugout.

Rita

scrounge Sun Jul 28, 2013 07:04pm

Yep, it was Timmons. Probably could have run him for the point to the head after the at-bat, even the announcers were saying that usually gets you thrown out.

Roid rage.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 29, 2013 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 900999)
The big baby. He swings and misses for strike three on a pitch that would have been ball four and then he complains about the umpire?

He should be fined by the club for using the bat like that in the dugout.

Rita

I'm no fan of little pipi... but can you really blame him for swinging at the 6th pitch - one which "would have been ball four" when he just watched pitches 4 and 5 - both of which "should have been ball four" - be called strikes?

I have no idea what went on before this, but it seemed obvious to me that little pipi pissed off Timmons at some point and EVERYTHING was going to be a strike. Pitch 4, especially, was a ridiculous call.

Rich Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 901081)
I'm no fan of little pipi... but can you really blame him for swinging at the 6th pitch - one which "would have been ball four" when he just watched pitches 4 and 5 - both of which "should have been ball four" - be called strikes?

I have no idea what went on before this, but it seemed obvious to me that little pipi pissed off Timmons at some point and EVERYTHING was going to be a strike. Pitch 4, especially, was a ridiculous call.

Stepping out of the box before the pitch was even delivered distorted the strike zone, for sure. I wouldn't call it ridiculous, though -- based on his stance on that pitch, it caught the top of the book zone.

Manny A Mon Jul 29, 2013 01:42pm

I was at Camden Yards yesterday. Ortiz was enthusiastically welcomed by the Orioles' faithful as he approached the plate each time up. He went 4-4, including a two-run homer.

I'm wondering how many players are contemplating beating the hell out of their dugout phones?

DG Tue Jul 30, 2013 08:18pm

Quote:

Big Papi threw a tirade in the dugout then spouted off at HP umpire Laz Diaz ---- Correction, the HP Umpire was Tim Timmons ----

<iframe src="http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=29202003&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb" frameborder="0" height="224" width="400">Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

By rule the pitch is called a strike. I guess the bat flip would be similar to drawing a line in the dirt so yes, I think he gets schooled today in HS.

bob jenkins Tue Jul 30, 2013 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 901246)
By rule the pitch is called a strike. I guess the bat flip would be similar to drawing a line in the dirt so yes, I think he gets schooled today in HS.

In OBR, the pitch is called based on its merits. Its not automatically a strike (but the benefit of the doubt goes to the pitcher, and some version of pitch trak or whatever have it as a strike anyway).

Manny A Wed Jul 31, 2013 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 901246)
By rule the pitch is called a strike.

Not in pro rules. Per 6.02(b):

The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup.
PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “Ball” or “Strike,” as the case may be.

Steven Tyler Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:33pm

Quote:

In a HS game, would you have ejected the batter for doing this? No question for me, he's gonzo!

Unbelievable! An ejection for that?

You must get all the big games.

Welpe Wed Jul 31, 2013 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 901380)
Unbelievable! An ejection for that?

You must get all the big games.

Knock it off. Now.

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 31, 2013 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 901387)
Knock it off. Now.

Don't worry about it Welpe. I've pretty much had it with the goings on on this site. It's turning into McGruff's all over again. For myself, I don't care about the comments but it tears at the legitimacy of the site. McGruff's became a place where no one would go for advice because of all the nit picking and wars that came up whenever one of us would post. That's why we came here and tried to run this place like a training center. But over the last couple of years, it's turned into a joke with the likes of some people. It's not even worth getting upset, Welpe, I don't care anymore.

DG Wed Jul 31, 2013 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 901248)
In OBR, the pitch is called based on its merits. Its not automatically a strike (but the benefit of the doubt goes to the pitcher, and some version of pitch trak or whatever have it as a strike anyway).

Understood, but the question in the post was about whether to toss in a HS game and my response was about HS.