The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   MLB Rules Quiz and article (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95296-mlb-rules-quiz-article.html)

David B Tue Jun 18, 2013 01:40pm

MLB Rules Quiz and article

Was just reading on ESPN. Interesting article although they all seem to think that "instant replay" is the answer to all of the rules etc., which is crazy. I love the analogy they give to football, how football has correct its problems ... say what ... every year there are more complaints about missed rules in football every Sunday.

Oh well, here's the article

The quiz is interesting also, have to admit i missed one though - one about the manager returning.

How well do we know baseball's rules? Take our quiz - ESPN

Thanks
DAvid

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 18, 2013 01:56pm

YOUR SCORE100%

You answered 10 out of the 10 questions correctly (shown in bold).
Total Participants: 108773

Yeah me.

Surprising to me, though - the percent right on each one:
1) 40.2
2) 49.6
3) 46.3
4) 46.3
5) 33.5 (really ... thought that one to be easy)
6) 25.9
7) 52.8
8) 19.8 (wow)
9) 28.2
10) 25.9

BigUmp56 Tue Jun 18, 2013 02:31pm

Not surprising to me was the sports announcers scoring just over 40% on such a remedial test.

Tim.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 18, 2013 02:44pm

Makes me wonder what the percentages would be on "The hands are part of the bat".

bob jenkins Tue Jun 18, 2013 03:14pm

There isn't anyone who participates regularly here or on ABUA (or anywhere else) who should get less than 9 / 10 (and I'm being generous and allowing a question to be misread).

Rich Tue Jun 18, 2013 04:20pm

Average score (when I took it in less than 2 minutes and score 100%) - 37%.

RPatrino Tue Jun 18, 2013 04:38pm

100% as well. The hardest part was reading through all the names and extra verbiage. This was actually a fairly easy test.

SE Minnestoa Re Tue Jun 18, 2013 05:45pm

10 for 10 :D

DavidOhsie Tue Jun 18, 2013 09:35pm

How does the answer to #7 square with 4.09(b):

When the winning run is scored in the last half-inning of a regulation game, or in
the last half of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full which forces the runner on third to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home base and the batter-runner has touched first base.

Rich Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidOhsie (Post 897790)

When the winning run is scored in the last half-inning of a regulation game, or in
the last half of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full which forces the runner on third to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home base and the batter-runner has touched first base.

Batted ball versus a base award. It's that simple of a distinction.

Publius Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34pm

An umpire bragging about a score of 100% on that test is like a retired major-league hitter bragging about hitting 50 home runs in beer-league softball.

Dave Reed Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 897792)
Batted ball versus a base award. It's that simple of a distinction.

Um, no. 4.09(b) applies to batted balls also. However, it doesn't apply to question 7 because no runs scored. Additionally, though it doesn't matter, the test question doesn't say it was the last half inning of a regulation game or extra-inning game.

Rita C Wed Jun 19, 2013 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 897763)
Not surprising to me was the sports announcers scoring just over 40% on such a remedial test.

Tim.

"You can see why players (and everybody else) messed these up, right? These plays rarely happen. And these rules seem to veer in the opposite direction of almost identical situations that more commonly do happen."

My favorite quote.

Rita

bob jenkins Wed Jun 19, 2013 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidOhsie (Post 897790)

It wasn't the last inning, so the rule doesn't apply at all.

If it had been the last inning, then the runs still wouldn't score after the appeal.

Either way, the runs score until there's an appeal, and then the sciore are "reversed."

DavidOhsie Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 897826)
It wasn't the last inning, so the rule doesn't apply at all.

If it had been the last inning, then the runs still wouldn't score after the appeal.

Either way, the runs score until there's an appeal, and then the sciore are "reversed."

OK, now I'm more confused :).

I understand that the rule only talks about the last inning, but is that the only time it applies? So if there is a 2-out bases loaded walk in the bottom of the first where R1 and R2 fail to advance, then the run doesn't score (if there is an appeal), but if the same happens in the bottom of the ninth, then the run does score (if there is an appeal)?