The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Texas Asso of Sports Oficials v UIL

This thread may be of interest to Texas sports officials only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue View Post
UIL v TASO lawsuit is quickly coming to an end. A Representative in the Texas House sponsored HB 1775. It passed the House and the Senate, it now awaits the Governor 's signature. From my understanding, the sides came together once this bill was introduced. We will see how it all pans out, as there are other issues on the table, but here is what the bill says, in laymans terms.

- The bill would prohibit the University Interscholastic League (UIL) from registering, charging fees, or requiring membership in any sponsoring organization of sports officials as a precondition to contract with a school district or open-enrollment charter school.
- The bill would prohibit the UIL from sponsoring or organizing any organization of sports officials or influencing the selection of sports officials by school districts or open-enrollment charter schools.
- The bill would allow the UIL to set the rates or fee schedules payable by school districts or open-enrollment charter schools to sports officials.

Maybe we will finally get that pay raise we were expecting a few years ago.
I do not have a law background, and I may be mis-reading the bill (bill text here), but I do not see some of the items stated in the post above (I look forward to be corrected if I am wrong). From my reading:
- UIL can/will require registration of sports officials working UIL games.
- UIL can charge a fee that covers the registration process only.
- UIL is prohibited from sponsoring/organizing sports officials.

I am happily surprised that the state legislature specifically limited UIL's authority and look forward to this law suit being settled. Though it is yet to be seen, I think this bodes well for the survival of TASO. But I wonder how those sports that abandoned TASO in favor of UIL will be received back.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Looks like we may be getting our $10.00 raise.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you are currently making $50 per game (understand if they pay gate), the raise should be $15 (to $60 per game fee).

As far as the wording on the bill, it does sound confusing, but the site I pulled the other info from was linked to the bill.

Hopefully it will be all cleared up by the time football rolls around.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless you are currently making $50 per game (understand if they pay gate), the raise should be $15 (to $60 per game fee).

As far as the wording on the bill, it does sound confusing, but the site I pulled the other info from was linked to the bill.

Hopefully it will be all cleared up by the time football rolls around.
Under 1204c, we are being paid $45.00 plus $0.55 per mile round trip. I thought that the base was going to $55.00. You usually don't have to worry about gate until playoffs. There are very few schools that charge admission to regular season games and if they do, somehow there wasn't enough gate receipts to pay extra to the umpires.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

The new 1204 is $60. Usually don't see gate during season, but we do have one district that pays $50, no matter what. Most schools in this area do charge admission. I do know that if affects the travel pay as well, but not exactly sure on that. I need to do some more reading.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The new 1204 is $60. Usually don't see gate during season, but we do have one district that pays $50, no matter what. Most schools in this area do charge admission. I do know that if affects the travel pay as well, but not exactly sure on that. I need to do some more reading.
I'm glad to see the base rate is going to $60.00. The mileage rate will be set on what the State Comptroller sets the mileage reimbursement rate as of September 1, 2013. The rate is carried for the 2013-14 school year.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 11:03am
Administrator

Question for our Texas members.

Is the UIL a private organization like the OhioHSAA, MichgianHSAA, FloridaHSAA, NCAA, etc.?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 11:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Is the UIL a private organization like the OhioHSAA, MichgianHSAA, FloridaHSAA, NCAA, etc.?
No, it is a state agency with its charter through the University of Texas.

I like that this should put the UIL effectively out of the business of managing officials but we'll see if they try to weasel around that.

You can thank Ed Thompson, former Houston Football Chapter President for authoring this bill and helping to get it to the governor's desk.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

The new 1204 (not yet effective) pay will be $60 for varsiry and $50 for sub-varsity baseball. Other sport fees are stated in the 1204 document read it here.

I am not clear on what the mileage reimbursement will be. My understanding is that chapter and schools must agree upon the mileage reimbursement method to be used prior to the season start (metro or non-metro method).
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
The new 1204 (not yet effective) pay will be $60 for varsiry and $50 for sub-varsity baseball. Other sport fees are stated in the 1204 document read it here.

I am not clear on what the mileage reimbursement will be. My understanding is that chapter and schools must agree upon the mileage reimbursement method to be used prior to the season start (metro or non-metro method).
The metro or non-metro status is determined by the distance from the center of the chapter to the school. Less than 40 miles, metro rates, more than 40, non-metro status.

So by the UIL link, gate is being taken out of the picture except for football. And the $10.00 rider fee is too low.

I was wrong on the date to set the mileage reimbursement, it's August 1 instead of September 1.

This will probably change if/when the lawsuit is finally put to bed.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
The metro or non-metro status is determined by the distance from the center of the chapter to the school. Less than 40 miles, metro rates, more than 40, non-metro status.

So by the UIL link, gate is being taken out of the picture except for football. And the $10.00 rider fee is too low.

I was wrong on the date to set the mileage reimbursement, it's August 1 instead of September 1.

This will probably change if/when the lawsuit is finally put to bed.
I always considered the Rider fee a gift.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Jun 08, 2013, 02:54am
In Time Out

Quote:

So $60.00 for a varsity game, and $50.00 for a sub varsity game.

Glad I chose not to deal with that crap anymore........bad enough when I was doing all the driving (mileage), and having to split it with my partner. I was making about 25 cents a mile, and they were making about $3.00 per mile in some cases
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 12:30am
Archaic Power Monger

The metro pay schedule is going to be interesting. For those of us who live out in the burbs a ways from the city center and commute in to work, games close to home will pay better in mileage than those near work. Right now it's just the opposite. All told I'll see a net gain for most games I work but I won't have much incentive to drive very far out of the way if I can avoid it.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 03:32am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The metro pay schedule is going to be interesting. For those of us who live out in the burbs a ways from the city center and commute in to work, games close to home will pay better in mileage than those near work. Right now it's just the opposite. All told I'll see a net gain for most games I work but I won't have much incentive to drive very far out of the way if I can avoid it.
Back when, our pay started from downtown Dallas, and the further out you went the more money you made. A travel fee for me back then I could drive two miles to a nearby school and make $16.00. My partner might have to drive thirty miles, and get the same 16.00. I simply got tired of driving to a game where I would have made $36.00 travel on my own, but the other person with the shortest drive got to split the highest mileage with their partner. We each made $18.00 for example.

If they were going to pay us by mileage, pay the person for the mileage they drove. I got stuck the first year of this working some DISD sub varsity games solo that where close to my house. I was making $8.00, and doing the game by myself.

Set fees are much better............especially to the person who drives the farthest.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This thread may be of interest to Texas sports officials only.
I do not have a law background, and I may be mis-reading the bill (bill text here), but I do not see some of the items stated in the post above (I look forward to be corrected if I am wrong). From my reading:
- UIL can/will require registration of sports officials working UIL games.
- UIL can charge a fee that covers the registration process only.
- UIL is prohibited from sponsoring/organizing sports officials.

I am happily surprised that the state legislature specifically limited UIL's authority and look forward to this law suit being settled. Though it is yet to be seen, I think this bodes well for the survival of TASO. But I wonder how those sports that abandoned TASO in favor of UIL will be received back.
Having read the bill myself, it doesn't appear that there is much difference from things as they now are. That being said, if UIL is still in charge of setting fees (and according to the way I read the bill, they are) that does not necessarily mean that there will be a pay raise. As I recall, it was TASO who voted in the pay raise, NOT UIL. As such, I don't see any real raise coming.

Furthermore, if UIL is still left in charge of things (aside from organizing officials), Then what is the need of TASO? The regulatory provisions of the bill still give UIL complete power over officials in terms of sanctioning. This was one of the BIG issues among members when voting to stay/leave TASO. With UIL representing the interests of the school, there would be no one at the table for the official.

Just sayin'