The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynva View Post
"That's a great baseball play, and in a game this important, you need to give him that out"
Missing a base is never a great baseball play.
Quote:
"should have sold it better".
The wave of the arms would have done this for you.

Quote:
P.S. If I had thought of it, I'd have told the Coach that "the league paid for three umpires to ensure we got that play right .... and I did."
Whether in 1, 2, or 3 man, NEVER EVER mention anything about who paid for how many umpires. NEVER.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
On such a play, where the middle infielder "catches ball with right foot 12" short of 2B, strides over the base, lands on other foot about 18" past base", I'm going to have an out.
That's really too bad. Feel free to call it that way when you make the show. Until then, your superiors at the highest levels of both OBR and FED have clearly told us not to call the out on a neighborhood play like this one.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I agree with that interpretation - basically he was asking you to "cheat" for his team, that's disrespectful.

Also, PU should be watching this play also for an possible illegal slide - don't know what's he was watching for at 1B - there is an umpire there for the call.

Thanks
David
In a 3-man crew? The PU was exactly where he was supposed to be -- trailing the batter-runner. U3 has everything at second since he does not have to turn to make a call at first.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I assume that the players are driven to the games by their mommies, right? Because if you don't call this out in games where players shave and have girlfriends, you are going to have real problems!
Those days are long over at every level I work, including NCAA baseball.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:53am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
That's really too bad. Feel free to call it that way when you make the show. Until then, your superiors at the highest levels of both OBR and FED have clearly told us not to call the out on a neighborhood play like this one.
In the typical old-school "neighborhood" play, F6 glides *behind* the bag (not touching it) to avoid the sliding R1. And I agree that *that* play is what has gone by the wayside.

That's not what I envision happening here: F6 stepped directly *over* the bag, and as such was still exposed to R1.

Again, if F6 receives the throw *after* stepping over the base, I've got a "safe".
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynva View Post
Home has R1, 1 out. (Playoffs so we are working 3-man, I am in C Modified).
As a mechanics aside, most manuals currently have you in B Modified with R1 only, unless you have a LH batter in NCAA.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
In the typical old-school "neighborhood" play, F6 glides *behind* the bag (not touching it) to avoid the sliding R1. And I agree that *that* play is what has gone by the wayside.

That's not what I envision happening here: F6 stepped directly *over* the bag, and as such was still exposed to R1.

Again, if F6 receives the throw *after* stepping over the base, I've got a "safe".
Exposure to a runner has nothing to do with anything. Both organizations have been quite clear that you need to touch a base to get a force out, even on the turn of a double play.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have a couple of questions regarding this type of play.

1) Why do we need to allow a "neighborhood" type double play under any rulesets that have slide rules ?? The middle infielders have plenty of options to avoid incoming baserunners. I allow some leeway under OBR, if a fielder is protecting himself.

2) If this fielder missed the base by as much as claimed here, how do you sell your call to the head coach, who is probably standing in the 3rd base coaching box 100 feet away with a clear view of the play ?? Especially when you're probably 10 to 15 feet away from it. Why be there if you're not going to call something so obvious to everyone in the stadium ??

In my opinion, you handled this play correctly. I probably would have called "Safe, no bag" and signaled multiple times like you did.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
Why do we need to allow a "neighborhood" type double play under any rulesets that have slide rules ??
We don't.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 02:48pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
2) If this fielder missed the base by as much as claimed here, how do you sell your call to the head coach, who is probably standing in the 3rd base coaching box 100 feet away with a clear view of the play ??
Ummm, why would you need to sell a Safe call on a runner to the third base coach?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Ummm, why would you need to sell a Safe call on a runner to the third base coach?
Did you miss the part about it potentially being the HEAD COACH !!!
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you miss the part about it potentially being the HEAD COACH !!!
I think the question is ... why do we need to sell the call to a guy you just said had a very clear view of the play? And why would the 3BC need to be sold that his runner was SAFE... he's certainly not going to complain about it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I obviously have confused some people here. I'm addressing those who think an "out" call is the correct call on these types of plays. You have to sell that "out" call to the head coach who had a clear view of the play.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You have to sell that "out" call to the head coach who had a clear view of the play.
Says Who

Also, don't you know by now all coaches think they have a clear view of the play.

Pete Booth
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In a 3-man crew? The PU was exactly where he was supposed to be -- trailing the batter-runner. U3 has everything at second since he does not have to turn to make a call at first.
Rich,

I agree he's where he's supposed to be, but I don't agree that from that same position he can't see the slide at second base. In his comments he basically said he wasn't watching the play - that is what I have issue with.

Thanks
David