The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 04:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
That's the guideline that is taught ... and discussed here.

If there was no ATR (and honestly, i don't think there should be!), then if the runner slowed or deviated before the instant that the ball was caught, it would be OBS. The idea of ATR is to allow the fielder to be in the runner's path once the ball is closer than the runner, instead of having to wait until after it's caught to move into the runner's path. (And I'd be fine if that part was done away with and they DID have to wait until they had possession before moving into the path!)
And, quite frankly, I think they should go back to the old rule.

The pro (minor league) interpretation of about to receive is the distance from the skin of the cutout at home to the plate - about 13 feet. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

"about to receive" not relevant in FED and NCAA, you either have the ball or you don't if you are in the runner's path.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
"about to receive" not relevant in FED and NCAA, you either have the ball or you don't if you are in the runner's path.
This is not correct for NCAA. A fielder "in the act of fielding the ball" is not guilty of obstruction (except on a pickoff).
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 07:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
This is not correct for NCAA. A fielder "in the act of fielding the ball" is not guilty of obstruction (except on a pickoff).
Thank you for pointing that out.

Great rotation by U1.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The pro (minor league) interpretation of about to receive is the distance from the skin of the cutout at home to the plate - about 13 feet. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
Rich, when I was in the minors, the interpretation of "about to receive" (on a play at the plate) was the distance from the pitcher's mound to home plate -- about 60 feet. They may have changed it in the decade since I left...but that is how it was taught to me at umpire school; and what I used in my pro games without argument.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
Rich, when I was in the minors, the interpretation of "about to receive" (on a play at the plate) was the distance from the pitcher's mound to home plate -- about 60 feet. They may have changed it in the decade since I left...but that is how it was taught to me at umpire school; and what I used in my pro games without argument.
I'm reading it from some recent instructions, I'm guessing more recent than yours -- reported by Carl in the BRD. They could've changed since then.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

For NCAA, it means "the ball is in flight [sic] directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw." That seems to be consistent with lawumps pro interp.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Sun May 19, 2013 at 01:57pm.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 04:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
For NCAA, it means "the ball is in flight [sic] directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw." That seems to be consistent with lawumps pro interp.
I found the source of the interp in the BRD -- it's a phone conversation between Carl and Fitzpatrick in 2001.

Take it or leave it. Doesn't much matter to me -- it's all judgment of the umpire anyway.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all, I stand corrected. I went back the rule books and the 2010 NCAA rule book said you had to have the ball. The 2011-2012 book added the words about in act of receiving and it was listed in the front of the book as a change. So NCAA and OBR are the same, FED different.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So NCAA and OBR are the same, FED different.
Who woulda guessed that
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:30am
Official & ***** Member

IIRC, FED made their change mainly because coaches were teaching fielders to "drop a knee" before receiving a throw on pickoff plays, thus blocking the runner off the bag.

Rather than make a specific exception to their existing OBS ruie, they chose to apply it universally to all plays.

Tim C. may have further insight.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
IIRC, FED made their change mainly because coaches were teaching fielders to "drop a knee" before receiving a throw on pickoff plays, thus blocking the runner off the bag.

Rather than make a specific exception to their existing OBS ruie, they chose to apply it universally to all plays.

Tim C. may have further insight.
that was the NCAA rationale. Then, when they realized the folly of having it on all plays, they went back to the OBR, and added the exception for dropping the knee on a pickoff.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"about to receive" not relevant in FED
True
Quote:
and NCAA.
False

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I found the source of the interp in the BRD -- it's a phone conversation between Carl and Fitzpatrick in 2001.

Take it or leave it. Doesn't much matter to me -- it's all judgment of the umpire anyway.
I think some of Mr. Fitzpatrick's co-workers at PBUC would have disagreed at that time...but at least you found something in print!

Thanks!
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 07:17pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Thank you for pointing that out.

Great rotation by U1.
What makes a very basic textbook rotation "great"?

IMO, that is the dumbest rotation in the mechanics manual. What is so difficult, with the bases empty and an obvious extra-base hit in either 3-man or 4-man, with U1 entering the diamond and taking the plays on the B/R at 1st and 2nd, and U3 and PU both staying home?

All levels (pro, NCAA, FED) have umpires running all over the place for no good reason. If you're U1 and can't be at 2nd base from A in advance of the runner, retire.