The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire injuries....OUCH!

After catching a couple of foul balls working the plate and one nasty line drive to my backside working the field, I questioned whether or not I was getting lazy with my mechanics to the extent that I reviewed some game video from a friendly parent. In all three instances, I was in proper position but that didn't ease the pain and the bruises left would have made any professional tatoo artist proud.

Check out last night's foul tip that caught MLB umpire Culbreth on his collarbone.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@PIT: Home-plate ump injured on foul ball in 11th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Last edited by Robmoz; Wed May 15, 2013 at 02:08pm.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
A minor technicality here, but it's impossible to be hit with a foul 'tip'.

Okay, there must be a story behind getting hit in the 'behind' while in the field, do share!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Wed May 15, 2013 at 02:08pm.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
A minor technicality here, but it's impossible to be hit with a foul 'tip'.

Okay, there must be a story behind getting hit in the 'behind' while in the field, do share!!
OP corrected..

Slicing liner hit down the line at 1B like a heat seeking missile and as I turn sideways to minimize my exposure to the inevitable contact I offered my right cheek and BOOM goes the dynamite!! I dropped like a man on fire but quickly regained my composure as the female trainer came to my rescue in what was later described to me as an act of kindness bordering on 3rd degree criminal sexual contact as she evaluated my injury
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
OP corrected..

Slicing liner hit down the line at 1B like a heat seeking missile and as I turn sideways to minimize my exposure to the inevitable contact I offered my right cheek and BOOM goes the dynamite!! I dropped like a man on fire but quickly regained my composure as the female trainer came to my rescue in what was later described to me as an act of kindness bordering on 3rd degree criminal sexual contact as she evaluated my injury
OP not corrected...

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
OP corrected..

Those injury "evaluations" can become rather intimate, I know. We had one field in California that would have student trainers for the umpires. I was rather disconcerted the first time I worked that field, when a young lady walked up to me between innings with a water bottle.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

8 more days in a hand cast, then 3 weeks in a removable splint. Foul ball broke index finger - first pitch. A first time JV C bailed, so the hand "behind" C served to stop the ball. Have to come up with a new place for that hand.

I let the swelling and buddy taping get me through the next two hours. Only hurt "extra" when I forgot and did a punch out on a Kc.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm probably a nerd for noticing this, but I thought it was an old video because Culbreth is wearing the old-style shirt.
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 12:35am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
I'm probably a nerd for noticing this, but I thought it was an old video because Culbreth is wearing the old-style shirt.
When teams do throwback uniforms, the umpires should have to do the same. I would love to see Joe West, or Angel Hernandez in a coat and tie wearing a beanie hat behind the plate with a balloon chest protector.
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

More importanly... how the H does Bill Welke fit a hat under his helmet??? haha!
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
More importanly... how the H does Bill Welke fit a hat under his helmet??? haha!
And not a small hat, either. It looks like at least a 4-stitch (if not a 6-stitch) hat.
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OP corrected..

Did you point fair or foul ???