The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Balk Justification

OBR rules. R2, less than two outs, pitcher comes set and begins delivery to the batter. As he's pushing off his pivot foot, his hands separate and then he experiences extreme pain in the pivot leg (popped hamstring, cramp, etc.). This causes him to stop the delivery motion, grab the leg with his pitching arm (ball still in hand), and fall off the mound.

This happened during the Braves/KC game Monday and the umpires called a balk, awarding one base to R2. My questions:
  • Is the balk called because of 8.05(a)? If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when-the pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such a delivery
  • Since this is a balk the ball is dead by 5.09(c), correct?
Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I think you have it right.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 01:27pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Since this is a balk the ball is dead by 5.09(c), correct?
FWIW, in this particular situation, the ball is dead immediately since the pitcher balked but never delivered a pitch or throw.

But in reality, 5.09(c) as written is not entirely accurate, because not all balks in OBR result in a dead ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 09:03am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But in reality, 5.09(c) as written is not entirely accurate, because not all balks in OBR result in a dead ball.
5.09(c) references Penalty 8.05, where this is clearly stated.
This is what the Sovereign Lord says: "In the pride of your heart you say, 'I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas.' But you are a mere mortal and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god." (Ezekiel 28:2)