The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

1st Playoff Series

I have my 1st playoff series assignment this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, but also a little nervous. I've been studying the 3-man mechanics for the past couple of days, but I've never used them on the field.

What are some of the most important things that I need to be aware of (areas most likely to screw up) when going to 3-man for the 1st time? Any advice or tips?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelock11 View Post
I have my 1st playoff series assignment this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, but also a little nervous. I've been studying the 3-man mechanics for the past couple of days, but I've never used them on the field.

What are some of the most important things that I need to be aware of (areas most likely to screw up) when going to 3-man for the 1st time? Any advice or tips?
This is a dilemma faced by most HS associations - all games are 2-man mechanics until the playoffs. As a result, most playoff umpires are very inexperienced and/or undertrained. 3-man mechanics takes a while to get down pat. You can't just read a book or a manual and expect everything to go without a hitch.

First of all, an umpire should GO OUT on every fly ball except the most obvious can of corn. You will now revert to much more familiar 2-man mechanics. Consequently, you MUST know who has fly ball responsibilities, especially going out from inside the diamond. Be sure to pre-game this thoroughly.

Secondly, you are right - somebody is going to screw up. When this happens, unscrew it by communicating. If there is a rotation and you (U1) sees the PU standing at the plate, push him to 3rd by yelling at him "BOB - GO TO THIRD!"

Finally, signal rotations/reverse rotations EVERY time a new batter steps in or there is a change on the bases. PU initiates the signal and both field umpires respond to the signal and make eye contact with each other. You have to be on the same page.

You are a team out there. Talk to each other the whole game.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by dash_riprock; Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 07:53am.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:47am
TODO: creative title here

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

Due to the absurdly crazy weather up here, I haven't even umpired my first game of the season yet. So far I've had 9 cancellations, including today, tomorrow, and next Monday.

And the weather forecast says that we're going to get 2-6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. So that's probably going to push things back at least one more week.

The regular season is supposed to end on May 21st... I have no idea how they're going to get 7 weeks of regular-season ball played in 3 weeks.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

In Alabama, we will have state champions crowned by May 18. Season starts in mid February here, which is still at least 2-3 weeks too early if you ask me (which nobody does).
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input dash. Things here are further complicated by the fact that they send mixed crews. Two of us are from the same association with the 3rd guy coming from another. We're planning on meeting and carpooling so we'll at least have some extra time in the car to discuss things prior to the game.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
This is a dilemma faced by most HS associations - all games are 2-man mechanics until the playoffs. As a result, most playoff umpires are very inexperienced and/or undertrained. 3-man mechanics takes a while to get down pat. You can't just read a book or a manual and expect everything to go without a hitch.

First of all, an umpire should GO OUT on every fly ball except the most obvious can of corn. You will now revert to much more familiar 2-man mechanics. Consequently, you MUST know who has fly ball responsibilities, especially going out from inside the diamond. Be sure to pre-game this thoroughly.

Secondly, you are right - somebody is going to screw up. When this happens, unscrew it by communicating. If there is a rotation and you (U1) sees the PU standing at the plate, push him to 3rd by yelling at him "BOB - GO TO THIRD!"

Finally, signal rotations/reverse rotations EVERY time a new batter steps in or there is a change on the bases. PU initiates the signal and both field umpires respond to the signal and make eye contact with each other. You have to be on the same page.

You are a team out there. Talk to each other the whole game.

Good luck and have fun!
Great advice. I'd like to add that the least experienced official in 3 man should be put at 1st base to learn the ropes.

There's a reason we call the 3rd base guy the Rabbit, the 1st base guy the rocking chair, and the Dishman.

Your most experienced 3 man official should be at 3rd base, the 2nd most is the Dishman. This way the experienced official can mentor and educate between innings in Center Field.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
Great advice. I'd like to add that the least experienced official in 3 man should be put at 1st base to learn the ropes.

There's a reason we call the 3rd base guy the Rabbit, the 1st base guy the rocking chair, and the Dishman.

Your most experienced 3 man official should be at 3rd base, the 2nd most is the Dishman. This way the experienced official can mentor and educate between innings in Center Field.
I have to disagree with you on this one. The least experienced man should be U3. He only has to think about doing two things when the ball gets hit, going out or coming in. U1 is the quarterback. U3 needs to read U1 to see what he's doing.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

The plate is the easiest in 3-man, especially with the way CCA mechanics are now with fewer rotations.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 01:00pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelock11 View Post

(1) U3 should read U1 on fly balls to the outfield. Right or wrong, if U1 goes out, U3 comes in. (And AHSAA wants us to go out even on routine fly balls)

(2) Anytime an umpire goes out, revert to 2-man mechanics.

(3) COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The plate is the easiest in 3-man, especially with the way CCA mechanics are now with fewer rotations.
Jim Evans said it best: "The snakes live in the grass."
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
(1) U3 should read U1 on fly balls to the outfield. Right or wrong, if U1 goes out, U3 comes in. (And AHSAA wants us to go out even on routine fly balls)

(2) Anytime an umpire goes out, revert to 2-man mechanics.

(3) COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE
I noticed that about going out on every fly ball. I kept re-reading it to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

I'll be U1 in game 1 and PU in game 2. I know as U1 I have to stay aware of the PU rotating to 3rd so that I am there for plays at plate.

From what I am seeing, it looks like the PU will rotate to 3rd for triples with no runners or runner on 3rd only, on balls to outfield with runner on 1st or 1st and 3rd, and on double tag with runners on 1st and 2nd.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

This year, CCA eliminated the rotation with R1 and R3.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Whether you put your most experienced person at 3rd or 1st is somewhat moot. You have to key off one or the other. Things can get really ugly if the guy at 3rd becomes a spectator and forgets to come in or either wingman forgets to go out. If your PU is at third talking to U3, then you have a problem.

Other potential pitfalls is U1 forgetting to cover the plate and U3 forgetting the reverse rotation when U1 goes out with a runner on 1st.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
This year, CCA eliminated the rotation with R1 and R3.
It also eliminated rotations with R3 only. The only rotation with a runner in scoring position is R1, R2 caught fly ball with R2 advancing.

Also, if the PU is not rotating to start the play, he still will not rotate if another umpire goes out. This really only applies to R1 and R3. That is, it is not strictly true that when an umpire goes out the crew reverts to two-man in the CCA manual.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I agree with this. In most HS mechanics, the roles are the same for PU whether 2-man or 3-man.

Other things to remember:
1) If someone goes out, revert to 2-man. (This will be an issue with R3 only and either U3 or U1 goes out -- the other wing has to get all the way across the field for the potential next call).

2) Look to your left. If the base is empty, run to it.

3) ? (I forget -- there's a third "little guideline")

Those three things will cover 90% of the situations you'll see.