The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

New CP arrived; disappointment

I sold my WV Platinum earlier and ordered a new model Honigs K-1 Pro Elite. No lectures please; I wore the old model K-1 for many years and liked it just fine. I've worn the Platinum for the last 3 years but still rotated in my old K-1 particularly on back to back nights in hot weather. Anyway, the new K-1 came today and it was a total disappointment. Major problem in the neck area, it is so tight my neck was rubbed raw just having it on in the house for 2 minutes. I'm 6'2 275 lbs and an avid weight lifter so I do have a big neck and shoulders, but the old K-1 fits my neck just fine as did the Platinum. Also, the shoulder plates are huge on the new K-1. I put a shirt on over it just for fun, and it looks ridiculous it's so bulky. I'll be sending it back tomorrow.

So the problem now is finding a protector. My old K-1 is still OK but it's nearing the end of its life span and I like to have two protectors to rotate when it's really hot and sweaty weather. My main problem with the Platinum was it was a bit too short for my liking and I was always hiking it up (yes I tightened the straps to the max and taped them). I know other guys have complained about the same problem with the neck in the new All Star protector so that's out. It looks like I'll have to go with the WV Gold as the XL is an inch longer than the Platinum. For anybody that has one, is the neck area an issue with the Gold too? I wouldn't think so since there are some pretty hefty dudes working MLB games that wear it. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 06:45am
Archaic Power Monger

I have a large neck myself and at first the All-Star was a little too constricting. After some fiddling with the pads (the neck pad is held on my velcro and is adjustable), the straps and it conforming to my body, I no longer have issues in the neck area. It has become quite comfortable and is probably my favorite CP to date.

Douglas also makes their protector in several lengths.

Another option from Honig's is their Zero Gravity protector, which may be worth a try if you're interested in keeping the same type of design as the K1.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I sold my WV Platinum earlier and ordered a new model Honigs K-1 Pro Elite. No lectures please; I wore the old model K-1 for many years and liked it just fine. I've worn the Platinum for the last 3 years but still rotated in my old K-1 particularly on back to back nights in hot weather. Anyway, the new K-1 came today and it was a total disappointment. Major problem in the neck area, it is so tight my neck was rubbed raw just having it on in the house for 2 minutes. I'm 6'2 275 lbs and an avid weight lifter so I do have a big neck and shoulders, but the old K-1 fits my neck just fine as did the Platinum. Also, the shoulder plates are huge on the new K-1. I put a shirt on over it just for fun, and it looks ridiculous it's so bulky. I'll be sending it back tomorrow.

So the problem now is finding a protector. My old K-1 is still OK but it's nearing the end of its life span and I like to have two protectors to rotate when it's really hot and sweaty weather. My main problem with the Platinum was it was a bit too short for my liking and I was always hiking it up (yes I tightened the straps to the max and taped them). I know other guys have complained about the same problem with the neck in the new All Star protector so that's out. It looks like I'll have to go with the WV Gold as the XL is an inch longer than the Platinum. For anybody that has one, is the neck area an issue with the Gold too? I wouldn't think so since there are some pretty hefty dudes working MLB games that wear it. Thanks for any feedback.
I actually like the Wilson MLU (the cheapest one) chest protector the best. I have a 18.5 in neck and this one fits like a charm.

I tried on the Gold and Platinum from Wilson and they don't seem to sit on the shoulders very well. The MLU sits very nicely and I NEVER have to adjust it. Straps are tight and taped. I think it doesn't slide because the straps sort of come underneath the protector and kind of hold it up.