The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

As of last Friday night, I feel that I have finally "arrived" as an official. After many years of working far to many sports, I have been chased from the field. Our game was one of the best I have had as a football official. Home team down 14 - 3 with 5:00 to go. A field goal, onside kick, TD bomb, and 2 point conversion, we go to overtime. First play in OT, obvious block in the back on a sweep to the visitor side. As a new white hat, I am trailing the play, easy call. Coach says nothing. Visitors kick a field goal. Home team scores untouched on thier first play and win 20 - 17. Great game. As we are running out of the gate with the AD, I hear, "Sir, Sir, how can you call a block in the back when he hit him in the shoulder. Sir, Sir!" I never looked back, just kept going. After we got to the locker room, I asked my crew who was chasing us. They let me know that "I" was being chased by the stat guy from the visitors. Guess this means that I have arrived.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 06:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
As of last Friday night, I feel that I have finally "arrived" as an official. After many years of working far to many sports, I have been chased from the field. Our game was one of the best I have had as a football official. Home team down 14 - 3 with 5:00 to go. A field goal, onside kick, TD bomb, and 2 point conversion, we go to overtime. First play in OT, obvious block in the back on a sweep to the visitor side. As a new white hat, I am trailing the play, easy call. Coach says nothing. Visitors kick a field goal. Home team scores untouched on thier first play and win 20 - 17. Great game. As we are running out of the gate with the AD, I hear, "Sir, Sir, how can you call a block in the back when he hit him in the shoulder. Sir, Sir!" I never looked back, just kept going. After we got to the locker room, I asked my crew who was chasing us. They let me know that "I" was being chased by the stat guy from the visitors. Guess this means that I have arrived.
He just wanted to know the number of the player that committed the illegal block. He is the stat guy.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago we had a guy doing stats on the sideline who didn't like one of my calls. He proceeded to tell me about it before a kickoff. I informed him if he wanted to continue his actions he could move behind the rope and he could talk all he wanted but while he was in his "official" position he had better be quiet. After the game he followed me off the field asking repeatedly for my name. I don't think he wanted to send me a Christmas card either. I informed him that his actions were completely unacceptable and that anything he did after that may place his school on probation from the state. He finally stopped after that. He was the junoir high coach for the school.