The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NCAA question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/93745-ncaa-question.html)

Publius Mon Jan 28, 2013 06:38pm

NCAA question

NCAA test question:

With two outs and the bases loaded, B7 hits a fly ball that is caught by the right fielder. The pitcher, in his excitement, runs toward his team's dugout on the first base side. The pitcher and the batter-runner collide. The batter-runner touches first base before the throw from the right fielder is caught by F3.

Questions that question begets:

Why is the right fielder making a throw to F3? Why is F3 even paying attention to F9 instead of heading to the dugout? Why can't NCAA test writers come up with scenarios that resemble reality when testing its umpires on a rule?

dash_riprock Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:42pm

Perhaps both teams thought there were only 4 outs.

All you need is Harvey Korman saying: "But why am I asking you?"

jicecone Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 875147)
NCAA test question:

With two outs and the bases loaded, B7 hits a fly ball that is caught by the right fielder. The pitcher, in his excitement, runs toward his team's dugout on the first base side. The pitcher and the batter-runner collide. The batter-runner touches first base before the throw from the right fielder is caught by F3.

Questions that question begets:

Why is the right fielder making a throw to F3? Why is F3 even paying attention to F9 instead of heading to the dugout? Why can't NCAA test writers come up with scenarios that resemble reality when testing its umpires on a rule?

Do you actually believe NCAA players are all that smart, not to do something like this. I don't.

bluehair Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44am

Maybe the question should have been, Do you know the difference between something and nothing?

CT1 Tue Jan 29, 2013 06:45am

A better question would have F9 drop the fly ball, & his throw to F3 beat B1.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 875147)
NCAA test question:

I don't get it. I haven't read through my test yet but this looks more like a statement than a question.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875260)
I don't get it. I haven't read through my test yet but this looks more like a statement than a question.

It's a play. there are 4 rulings that follow. Choose the best one.

maven Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 875252)
A better question would have F9 drop the fly ball, & his throw to F3 beat B1.

No doubt that was the original scenario, and then a committee got hold of it. ;)

zm1283 Tue Jan 29, 2013 01:56pm

This question is in the preseason guide they gave out at the NCAA meetings. It is on the Arbiter too. I agree it's not a very good question.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:09pm

What were the 4 options?

zm1283 Tue Jan 29, 2013 03:28pm

The video question with R2 getting picked off at 2nd and getting in a rundown is a real mess. F5 drops the ball while trying to tag R2 who probably doesn't leave the basepath as he avoids the potential tag. I would have nothing, but that isn't really one of the options.

dash_riprock Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875497)
The video question with R2 getting picked off at 2nd and getting in a rundown is a real mess. F5 drops the ball while trying to tag R2 who probably doesn't leave the basepath as he avoids the potential tag. I would have nothing, but that isn't really one of the options.

I thought that one was easy (all of the above was my answer). The runner may have been out of the baseline but the fielder never had possession of the ball.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29pm

Sorry dash. I hit the wrong button. I didn't change anything in your post.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875570)
I thought that one was easy (all of the above was my answer). The runner may have been out of the baseline but the fielder never had possession of the ball.

But if there's no ball, you don't have a baseline violation. So that makes "B" incorrect...I think it's b anyway.

This question has some odd choices, so you might be right.

I think "A" is the best answer of the four options.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875497)

I think if you have "nothing" then IMO, A has to be your choice.

That being said, I'm not claiming to be the expert.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06am

A says the runner must be tagged,
B says the runner is out of the baseline but it only applies if the fielder has the ball and is making a tag attempt
C says pretty much the same thing as B.
D is all of the above

It has to be D.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30am

For the purpose of discussion, unless you don't judge him to be out of his base path. Then it can't be B or C, so then it's not D, so it has to be A.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49am

"For the being 'out of the baseline principle' to apply, the fielder must have secured the ball and be attempting a tag."

Why isn't this correct?

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875650)
"For the being 'out of the baseline principle' to apply, the fielder must have secured the ball and be attempting a tag."

Why isn't this correct?

I'm not saying I disagree w/ "C" as a statement. But I don't think C applies to this question.

The rule states: (which I'm certain you know),

"In running to any base, while trying to avoid being tagged out, the runner runs more than three feet left or right from a direct line between the base and the runner's location at the time a play is being made"

If you answer "C" I can live with that, but the answer can't be D. (Again, I'm not saying I'm right. I appreciate the discussion)

bob jenkins Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875654)
I'm not saying I disagree w/ "C" as a statement. But I don't think C applies to this question.

The rule states: (which I'm certain you know),

"In running to any base, while trying to avoid being tagged out, the runner runs more than three feet left or right from a direct line between the base and the runner's location at the time a play is being made"

If you answer "C" I can live with that, but the answer can't be D. (Again, I'm not saying I'm right. I appreciate the discussion)

I think the runner clearly runs more than 3' from his path. IF F5 had caught the ball, we'd have an out.

So, I'm answering "D".

zm1283 Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 875700)
I think the runner clearly runs more than 3' from his path. IF F5 had caught the ball, we'd have an out.

So, I'm answering "D".

I wish everyone could see the video. I really don't think he runs more than three feet from the tag when the potential tag is attempted. That may not be what they're trying to convey from the question though.

maven Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875716)
I wish everyone could see the video. I really don't think he runs more than three feet from the tag when the potential tag is attempted. That may not be what they're trying to convey from the question though.

Three feet is a short distance: generally an arm's length. If the fielder has to move at all to reach him, then he "left the baseline."

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 875720)
Three feet is a short distance: generally an arm's length. If the fielder has to move at all to reach him, then he "left the baseline."

If you don't think the runner was out of the "baseline," then the correct answers would be A and C.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 875720)

Only if the runner is moving around the fielder. Often the runner is moving away from the fielder (partly toward a base, partly away from the fielder), and what appears to be more than 3 feet is not actually that far. Especially if the runner is already moving away before the tag attempt starts.

zm1283 Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 875727)
Only if the runner is moving around the fielder. Often the runner is moving away from the fielder (partly toward a base, partly away from the fielder), and what appears to be more than 3 feet is not actually that far. Especially if the runner is already moving away before the tag attempt starts.

I would have to watch the video again, but I think the runner was moving around F5 in this clip before the ball got to him.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875763)
I would have to watch the video again, but I think the runner was moving around F5 in this clip before the ball got to him.

That's exactly what trips up the standard parent/fan - they see a player running "around" a fielder and assume they MUST be 3 feet outside the baseline (nevermind that it's the basepath that matters), and don't realize the path is made when the tag starts, not when the runner begins deviating.

LittleLeagueBob Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 875700)

So, I'm answering "D".

This is where I'm confused..."A" says, "This runner must be tagged to be out in this situation" -- but if we judge the runner to be more than 3' out of his baseline, he doesn't need to be tagged (of course, as long as the fielder has the ball) -- he's out for being more than 3' from his path...correct?

Frankly, I can't tell the difference b/t "B" and "C" -- so I haven't a clue what to put!! :)

bob jenkins Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLeagueBob (Post 875807)
This is where I'm confused..."A" says, "This runner must be tagged to be out in this situation" -- but if we judge the runner to be more than 3' out of his baseline, he doesn't need to be tagged (of course, as long as the fielder has the ball) -- he's out for being more than 3' from his path...correct?

Frankly, I can't tell the difference b/t "B" and "C" -- so I haven't a clue what to put!! :)

"the runner must be tagged" means "the baseline issue doesn't apply because the fielder doesn't have the ball". imo, all three answers are just different ways of saying the same thing, so D is correct.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41am

Quote:

No. In the video, the fielder does not have the ball, so the runner can't be called out for being out of the baseline. Therefore, he must be tagged to be put out.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45am

Quote:

I don't think we have a baseline violation, which is why I'm going with "A"

I will see if I can get the video posted.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47am

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5636b2b1.jpg

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51am

Right now, I like my "A" answer, but I have to say that I could be convinced to change my mind if we think we have a baseline infraction.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52am

I'm impressed. There is no way I could post that video on here.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57am

When I watch it again, I think that I can lean toward a possible baseline infraction IF all guidelines are met, which they aren't in the video, but the question creates a hypothetical.

When the fielder extends his arm completely he still missed the runner so much that there's considerable daylight between the end of the fielder's glove and the runner. So I think we can agree that there is a gap that is equal to or greater than three feet.

By the choices given, if we have a baseline violation, a tag is not required so you can't answer "D" if you have a baseline violation.

The only proper answer if you think there is a baseline violation in this instance would be "C"

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875818)
Right now, I like my "A" answer, but I have to say that I could be convinced to change my mind if we think we have a baseline infraction.

It would have been a baseline infraction had the fielder held on to the ball. That describes the situation perfectly, which is what the question asks for, and which is why B is also correct. C is a correct statement by itself. A is correct because the fielder didn't hold on to the ball.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00pm

So the better of the two answers is probably "B" since it relates to the video.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10pm

I can appreciate that argument. B sums up the video better than the other 2 answers. I still think the NCAA is looking for D though.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875822)
When the fielder extends his arm completely he still missed the runner so much that there's considerable daylight between the end of the fielder's glove and the runner. So I think we can agree that there is a gap that is equal to or greater than three feet.

Say the fielder catches the ball cleanly... the tag begins after that catch and as soon as he starts moving the glove in the direction of the runner. At that instant, the player has already veered considerably to the left (from the camera's perspective). 3 feet from the fielder is not the standard. 3 feet out of HIS basepath that is established the moment a tag attempt begins.

On that standard, this runner is not even remotely close to being 3 feet out of the basepath.

(Also note - there some codes where the fielder here has obstructed, as the runner had to veer when he didn't have the ball)

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 875829)
Say the fielder catches the ball cleanly... the tag begins after that catch and as soon as he starts moving the glove in the direction of the runner. At that instant, the player has already veered considerably to the left (from the camera's perspective). 3 feet from the fielder is not the standard. 3 feet out of HIS basepath that is established the moment a tag attempt begins.

On that standard, this runner is not even remotely close to being 3 feet out of the basepath.

The NCAA thinks he is.

LittleLeagueBob Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 875809)
"the runner must be tagged" means "the baseline issue doesn't apply because the fielder doesn't have the ball". imo, all three answers are just different ways of saying the same thing, so D is correct.

Thanks Bob & Dash -- I see what you're saying...in A, it says, "in this situation", -- ths situation where F6 dropped the ball...

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875823)
It would have been a baseline infraction had the fielder held on to the ball. That describes the situation perfectly, which is what the question asks for, and which is why B is also correct. C is a correct statement by itself. A is correct because the fielder didn't hold on to the ball.

But if you have a baseline infraction, you don't need a tag, so if you have a baseline infraction (B), you can't answer A, b/c a tag isn't necessary, merely a tag attempt is necessary.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 875829)

(Also note - there some codes where the fielder here has obstructed, as the runner had to veer when he didn't have the ball)

I think the fielder is considered to be in the act of fielding the ball which is why one could eliminate obstruction. I also saw it that way at first that at the time of the invalid tag attempt, R2 had already passed the fielder. But the answer possibilities just don't give us those options.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875846)
But if you have a baseline infraction, you don't need a tag, so if you have a baseline infraction (B), you can't answer A, b/c a tag isn't necessary, merely a tag attempt is necessary.

You must consider each answer independently.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875855)
You must consider each answer independently.

Okay, but if you have a baseline infraction, a tag is not necessary to get an out. I wish is said "tag attempt."

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875856)
Okay, but if you have a baseline infraction...

Stop right there. You don't have a baseline infraction in the video because the fielder dropped the ball. There was no tag attempt.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875832)
The NCAA thinks he is.

What do you mean by that? Is there some note somewhere I've not seen that changes the time at which we are to set the baseline in a situation like this?

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:16pm

Okay dash, w/ that approach I can see where "D" could be an answer. Clear as mud. Perfect.

dash_riprock Wed Jan 30, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 875892)
What do you mean by that? Is there some note somewhere I've not seen that changes the time at which we are to set the baseline in a situation like this?

No, I'm just going by the possible answers to this question.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 30, 2013 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875935)
No, I'm just going by the possible answers to this question.

Ah. Got it.

Steven Tyler Wed Jan 30, 2013 07:07pm

If I have my facts straight, I was told at a FED meeting control of the ball really meant everything. I believe I was referring to the fielder with the ball in his throwing hand, and making an attempt to tag a runner with his glove hand. More than a reach on a tag attempt regardless of the location/possesion of the ball, runner out for leaving base path. Might be something you want to discuss in a future meeting.

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:05am

So is anybody on here opposed to answering "D" on this question?

LittleLeagueBob Thu Jan 31, 2013 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 876032)
So is anybody on here opposed to answering "D" on this question?

Nope - I was a little slow, but after this discussion, I believe that's the right answer. I missed 2 - I have no idea which ones - but I don't think this was one of them...

UmpTTS43 Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09pm

D - All of the above, is not a correct answer.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 876121)
D - All of the above, is not a correct answer.

Based on ....

(Not doubting you; just seeking clarification)

zm1283 Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:57pm

You know, I have no problem taking rules tests and discussing questions all day. But when it has taken almost four pages and we still can't figure it out and have differing opinions, do you think the question (Not just that one) is written poorly? I am not as rules-savvy as some people, but I kind of pride myself on staying sharp on the rules, but it seems like the hardest part of this test is just trying to decode the hidden meaning in the questions. I don't feel like that makes anyone a better umpire.

UmpTTS43 Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 876141)
Based on ....

(Not doubting you; just seeking clarification)

Because A says he must be tagged. Another answer says, paraphrasing, that if the fielder had possession of the ball during the tag attempt the runner would be guilty of going outside of his 3` running lane. You can't have both of these answers as correct.

dash_riprock Thu Jan 31, 2013 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 876225)
Because A says he must be tagged. Another answer says, paraphrasing, that if the fielder had possession of the ball during the tag attempt the runner would be guilty of going outside of his 3` running lane. You can't have both of these answers as correct.

You can if you consider them independently.

JJ Thu Jan 31, 2013 08:13pm

Since the fielder was in the act of fielding the throw but didn't catch it, he couldn't make a tag attempt so you can't call obstruction on the fielder nore can you call the runner for being out of the basepath. I'm going to get out my flipping coin on this answer...

JJ

UmpTTS43 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 876232)
You can if you consider them independently.

Yes but an all of the above answer means all other answers are correct inclusively. This cannot be the case.

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05pm

I still like "A" or "C" depending on if you judge a baseline violation or not.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:01am

I think I'm going to go with the "best" answer, not necessarily keep searching for the "correct" answer.

Steven Tyler Fri Feb 01, 2013 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 876225)
Because A says he must be tagged. Another answer says, paraphrasing, that Ifthe fielder had possession of the ball during the tag attempt the runner would be guilty of going outside of his 3` running lane. You can't have both of these answers as correct.

That's a mighty big word you're using there, pardner. Sounds like that is 99.9% of the law. It would be better if the runner ran through the fielder, and got an obstruction call (if that would apply in the rundown).

UmpTTS43 Fri Feb 01, 2013 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 876449)
That's a mighty big word you're using there, pardner. Sounds like that is 99.9% of the law. It would be better if the runner ran through the fielder, and got an obstruction call (if that would apply in the rundown).

A - don't get what you're trying to get at.
B - you cannot get OBS if the runner was to run the fielder over since the fielder was in the act of fielding a thrown ball.

JJ Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:22pm

After finally watching the video several times and having the answers right in front of me, I'm going with "D".
I think the NCAA is trying to see if we'll get hung up on the "out of the baseline" bit, but since the fielder doesn't have the ball we can't call that. That leaves "he must be tagged" as the only way the defense can get him out. That makes "D" correct for me. FWIW.

JJ

Steven Tyler Sun Feb 03, 2013 05:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 876453)
A - don't get what you're trying to get at.
B - you cannot get OBS if the runner was to run the fielder over since the fielder was in the act of fielding a thrown ball.

A~IF the fielder has possession. From what I've gathered over the years, possession is 9/10ths of the law. The ball doesn't even have to be held in the glove if they attempt a tag with the glove, the runner has gone 3 ft. outside his running lane. They just have to have possession of the ball. Fielder touches runner with glove, you have a missed tag attempt. You run 3 ft. away on tag attempt with no in glove, you're out of the base path.

B~Most times it is just better to run at the fielder. You're in the line of the throw, and might get an obstruction call. That's why I wrote (if that would apply in the rundown). Why I put that part in parentheses.

cookie Tue Feb 12, 2013 05:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875815)

Here is the NCAA's answer to this question (I had "C" and it was wrong. "D" is the correct answer). Nice going Dash, Bob, and the others who saw it as "D".

Question #4
Please select the best answer below that describes this situation.

a. This runner must be tagged to be out in this situation.

b. This runner is out of the baseline (more than three-feet around the fielder); therefore, is out if the fielder has caught the relay throw. The fielder must have possession of the relay throw and be preparing to tag a runner for the “being out of the baseline” provision to apply.

c. For the being “out of the baseline principle” to apply, the fielder must have secured the ball and be attempting a tag.

d. All of the above answers are correct.

johnnyg08 Tue Feb 12, 2013 07:18am

Yep, I agree. Nice job with that question fellas. I appreciate the guidance.

dash_riprock Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:23am

Here's another one from the test (I have omitted 2 answers that are obviously wrong):

R2, no outs, 1-2 count. The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball prior to the 1-2 pitch.

a) The pitcher is ejected immediately.

b) Upon discovering that the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball, the plate umpire must not allow the pitcher to pitch. A warning is issued immediately.

Initially, I thought the answer should be b) because the rule calls for a one-time warning, but then I went to the Preseason Guide (where a bunch of the questions always come from). In the guide, there is a section entitled "Standards for Removal from the Game" which contains the following: "In addition, there are other situations that result in immediate ejections, such as a pitcher in possession of a foreign substance..."

So I answered a) and got it wrong. That just ain't fair.

I write the written test for my local (non-school) association. Here is one of the questions. Every once in a while, I throw in a ridiculous answer designed to give the test taker a chuckle and allow him to cross-off one of the possible answers. Nevertheless, I guarantee you someone will answer d.

Q: Slow ground ball to F5. It's going to be a whacker at 1st. The B/R completely misses 1st base. He is directly over the base when F3 (touching the base) catches F5's throw.

a. The B/R is out. No appeal is necessary.

b. The BU should make no call and wait for an appeal.

c. The BU should call the B/R safe but be prepared to call him out upon proper appeal.

d. The BU should scream "Safe - He's off the bag!" and sell the call by sweeping his arms away from the base.

cookie Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 878685)
Here's another one from the test (I have omitted 2 answers that are obviously wrong):

R2, no outs, 1-2 count. The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball prior to the 1-2 pitch.

a) The pitcher is ejected immediately.

b) Upon discovering that the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball, the plate umpire must not allow the pitcher to pitch. A warning is issued immediately.

Initially, I thought the answer should be b) because the rule calls for a one-time warning, but then I went to the Preseason Guide (where a bunch of the questions always come from). In the guide, there is a section entitled "Standards for Removal from the Game" which contains the following: "In addition, there are other situations that result in immediate ejections, such as a pitcher in possession of a foreign substance..."

So I answered a) and got it wrong. That just ain't fair.

I write the written test for my local (non-school) association. Here is one of the questions. Every once in a while, I throw in a ridiculous answer designed to give the test taker a chuckle and allow him to cross-off one of the possible answers. Nevertheless, I guarantee you someone will answer d.

Q: Slow ground ball to F5. It's going to be a whacker at 1st. The B/R completely misses 1st base. He is directly over the base when F3 (touching the base) catches F5's throw.

a. The B/R is out. No appeal is necessary.

b. The BU should make no call and wait for an appeal.

c. The BU should call the B/R safe but be prepared to call him out upon proper appeal.

d. The BU should scream "Safe - He's off the bag!" and sell the call by sweeping his arms away from the base.

Regarding the pitcher being discovered using a foreign substance, I too had the same answer you did: "The pitcher is ejected immediately" and I took my cue from the Study Guide 2013-2014. I believe I've seen MLB reports where an F1 (for example, Gaylord Perry) being ejected immediately upon discovery of a foreign substance on his hand or body/clothing. (As a side note, there were a few erroneous and conflicting (with NCAA) rulings/explanations in that guide. It actually had BESR as the legally required marking on the bat - pp. 42 & 43)!

dash_riprock Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 878694)
Regarding the pitcher being discovered using a foreign substance, I too had the same answer you did: "The pitcher is ejected immediately" and I took my cue from the Study Guide 2013-2014. I believe I've seen MLB reports where an F1 (for example, Gaylord Perry) being ejected immediately upon discovery of a foreign substance on his hand or body/clothing. (As a side note, there were a few erroneous and conflicting (with NCAA) rulings/explanations in that guide. It actually had BESR as the legally required marking on the bat - pp. 42 & 43)!

They are either careless, strongly averse to anyone scoring 100, or both.

cookie Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14am

Here's an NCAA question I got wrong and don't really understand why. I chose "C", but the answer given by the NCAA was "A". Does the NCAA think this is a batting out-of-order infraction. I took it as an illegal substitution. Even the NCAA justification seems to indicate that.

Question:

Larry is the DH for the pitcher. In the fourth inning, the coach decides to have the pitcher bat for himself. In the sixth inning, the coach decides to have Larry bat for the pitcher again. Before a pitch is thrown to Larry, the defense appeals.

a. Since the defense appealed before a pitch was thrown, the offensive team may replace Larry without penalty.

b. Once Larry is removed from the DH's role, he may subsequently return to the game but only as a pitcher.

c. Larry is called out and disqualified from the game.

d. Larry is ejected but is not called out. His substitute will assume Larry's position at the plate.

Explanation: 5-5j (1) & (3)
j. Should a withdrawn (disqualified) player re-enter the game:
(1) If on offense, whether as a batter or a runner, upon discovery by the
opposing team or an umpire, the player immediately shall be declared out
and disqualified from the game. If the player should score a run before the
discovery, an appeal must be made to the umpire-in-chief before the first
pitch to the next batter of either team. This appeal would invalidate the
action of the ineligible player;
(3) Any player for whom a withdrawn player substitutes may not re-enter the
game

Rich Ives Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39am

So - did anyone ever figure out the purpose of the original question?

Hint: Obstruction before the runner reached first on a caught fly ball. :D

dash_riprock Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 878697)
Here's an NCAA question I got wrong and don't really understand why. I chose "C", but the answer given by the NCAA was "A". Does the NCAA think this is a batting out-of-order infraction. I took it as an illegal substitution. Even the NCAA justification seems to indicate that.

I answered C as well. This has to be a brain fart/typo. They have the correct rule cite.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 878707)

I think we knew that. The problem was the last sentence didn't make any sense (in the real world). If it was just ignored, then the answer to the OP (ignore the OBS on a caught fly) was obvious.

dash_riprock Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 878707)

I didn't have that question so I don't know what the possible answers were. I would hope that one of the answers is: "The umpire shall call the obstruction when it happens, allow the play to continue, and call the batter out on the catch by F9."

Rich Ives Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 878725)
I think we knew that. The problem was the last sentence didn't make any sense (in the real world). If it was just ignored, then the answer to the OP (ignore the OBS on a caught fly) was obvious.

And maybe the lurkers would like to see the answer.

bluehair Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 878694)

The test writer (or a lawyer) could argue that, "The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball" and "pitcher in possession of a foreign substance", are not the same thing. That would be a chicken-**** reasoning, IMO. So the premise of the question is flawed (Shocking). How could an "umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball" without the evidence to prove it (F2 might have applied the foreign substance).

I hate these wrong (sometimes) if you apply the spirit of the rules questions.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 878726)
I didn't have that question so I don't know what the possible answers were. I would hope that one of the answers is: "The umpire shall call the obstruction when it happens, allow the play to continue, and call the batter out on the catch by F9."

"As long as the flyball is caught, the obstruction is ignored."

Incorrect choices (w/ my abbrev. of BR) were:
- Since the BR was still able to reach first base, the contact created by the pitcher is ignored

- There cannot be obstruction in the infield when the batted ball is in the outfield

- All runners, including the BR, are awarded one base.

AAUA96 Thu Feb 14, 2013 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehair (Post 878772)
The test writer (or a lawyer) could argue that, "The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball" and "pitcher in possession of a foreign substance", are not the same thing. That would be a chicken-**** reasoning, IMO. So the premise of the question is flawed (Shocking)

There is a difference in the definition of "foreign substance" in these two rules. When related to possessing a "foreign substance" you would include creams, petroleum jelly, oils, etc. When related to applying a "foreign substance" to the ball, you would also include dirt, rosin, spit, etc. So the penalty is less if you apply a foreign substance because it MAY BE something that is a natural part of being on the field. But bringing a foreign substance on the field is worse - because you planned it. If F1 applied Vaseline to the ball, you wouldn't let him pitch it, AND if you discovered there was a big glob of it under his hat brim, then you would eject him. If F1 put rosin on the ball, you wouldn't let him pitch it, but you wouldn't eject him (unless he kept doing it).

dash_riprock Thu Feb 14, 2013 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAUA96 (Post 879523)
There is a difference in the definition of "foreign substance" in these two rules. When related to possessing a "foreign substance" you would include creams, petroleum jelly, oils, etc. When related to applying a "foreign substance" to the ball, you would also include dirt, rosin, spit, etc. So the penalty is less if you apply a foreign substance because it MAY BE something that is a natural part of being on the field. But bringing a foreign substance on the field is worse - because you planned it. If F1 applied Vaseline to the ball, you wouldn't let him pitch it, AND if you discovered there was a big glob of it under his hat brim, then you would eject him. If F1 put rosin on the ball, you wouldn't let him pitch it, but you wouldn't eject him (unless he kept doing it).

That makes complete sense, but I don't believe there is a rule prohibiting possession of a foreign substance, only applying it to the ball. So, according to the NCAA, if the pitcher has a glob of grease on the brim of his cap, and the umpire sees it, he better wipe some of it on the ball before the ump gets there if he wants to have any chance of getting away with just a warning.

johnnyg08 Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:24pm

Well, he possess spit, that is a foreign substance. If he rubs dirt from the mound on the ball, that is a foreign substance. How are you going to deal with that?

dash_riprock Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 879560)
Well, he possess spit, that is a foreign substance. If he rubs dirt from the mound on the ball, that is a foreign substance. How are you going to deal with that?

You need to go back and read post #68 in this thread.

johnnyg08 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 879562)
You need to go back and read post #68 in this thread.

I know that piece. I had that question on my test. (got it right)

My post is on topic with other posts about foreign substance you can spit on a ball, and you possess spit, but they're exclusive.

I get the rule, but it seems as though some are talking themselves into circles.

dash_riprock Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 879563)

My post is on topic with other posts about foreign substance you can spit on a ball, and you possess spit, but they're exclusive.

Cite please.