The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 13, 2003, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Ever have one of those days where you were seeing things to well?? I know the old adage of if it looks like an out.... Well there I was,
Play 1 runner going from 1st to third on a hit. Throw from center is caught by F5 just to the outfiled side of the bag. Runner slides in about same time and hit bag just before F5 tags the foot. Safe I call. (Def coach says I missed it)
Play 2, same team on defense runners on 1st and 2nd. Bouncer back to pitcher. He briefly looks at first then turns to 3rd and throws F5 is straddling the bag to where I can see dirt between his feet and the bag on both sides of the bag. Runner slides in and F5 tried to tag as well albeit late. Safe I call. (2 for 2 per Def coach)
Play 3 team now on offense runner on 1st, base hit. runner tries for 3rd is meat but coach hollers he slid under it. Nope I say. 3 for 3
Play 4 same team again on offense. Runner on first stealing on a pitch out. Catch make throw to second and runner is a little ahead of throw but runners foot on slide is about 3-4 inches above the bag when tagged. He's out I called.. Coach is now ballistic.. 4 for 4.

Such a fun day!

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2003, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Ever have one of those days where you were seeing things to well?? I know the old adage of if it looks like an out.... [snip] ...
Play 4 same team again on offense. Runner on first stealing on a pitch out. Catch make throw to second and runner is a little ahead of throw but runners foot on slide is about 3-4 inches above the bag when tagged. He's out I called.. Coach is now ballistic.. 4 for 4.

Such a fun day!
I gotta tell ya, Jim, I think the only one of your plays that qualifies as an "obvious out" is Play 4. Runner was ahead of the throw, foot less than 6" over the bag when tagged ... he beat the play. On all the others I'd have given you an 'atta boy! *BIG grin*

Of the other three Play 2 might've gone closest, if the F5 hadn't tried to tag the runner. He's just told the whole world that he wasn't in contact with the base. If he'd simply held the ball and looked to you for a call THEN you'd have your obvious out, despite the little bit of dirt between his toes and the base!

I believe it's got to "look like an out" in the stands, not just the coaching box, before you should call the obvious out in preference to ruling by the book. You know the one - the ball arrives in the fielder's glove while the runner is just starting to slide 6-8 feet out. The tag goes down on the ground ahead of the sliding runner's foot and is withdrawn before the foot gets there. That's an OUT!

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 13th, 2003 at 03:14 AM]