The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:30am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Donate? I'm getting paid. Not as much as I normally would, but then again, free food and I get to go to the HoF (never been). But I'm really going to support a team in our league that is going.
I think the main issue is that the organizer is making money on these tournaments with the expectation that the umpires will be working for free (unless individually compensated by their teams).
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:38am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think the main issue is that the organizer is making money on these tournaments with the expectation that the umpires will be working for free (unless individually compensated by their teams).
I took Mike's point to be that they're not working for free: they're receiving lodging and food.

From the "Umpires" section of their website: "As a guest of Cooperstown Dreams Park your stay will be expense free."

That's compensation (adequate or not) and, according to the IRS, could be taxable income.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Well that is true and in the eyes of the IRS I'm sure cafeteria quality food and dorm conditions are "compensation".

I will amend my statement to "without monetary remuneration."

That said, Mike, go and have a good time. Share some pictures on Facebook if you would be so kind.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Well, now I'm confused. I'm getting paid a specific amount of money. Is this not normal?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, now I'm confused. I'm getting paid a specific amount of money. Is this not normal?
It depends. Most tournaments hire and pay their umpires, using the fees the teams pay to compete.

CDP insists the teams to bring their own umpires. In fact, they state a team could be fined several hundred dollars for not bringing one with the reason stating CDP would have to hire a local umpire to work that week. In what I've read through message boards, this is an empty threat and no team has been charged for not bringing an umpire.

With that said, you getting paid by the team is not ususual. Most umpires are paid cash somehow to go; however, the pay is not usually the best, sometimes only enough to pay for the trip itself. I know some umpires that will go for two or more straight weeks, which makes every payment after the first week direct profit for the umpire.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 06:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Food and barracks are pennies on the dollar for what a game fee should be...but that's why I will never travel there to umpire via the CDP tournaments.

To each his own.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Taking a week off of my day job to go work many games a day for dorm room and hot dogs is not what I consider getting paid.

Go, if you want the experience. The few I know who have enjoyed the experience, and did it for the friends (team coaches) who asked them, and were folks who did not have to take off work to do it (teachers, in the summer time mostly).
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Food and barracks are pennies on the dollar for what a game fee should be...but that's why I will never travel there to umpire via the CDP tournaments.

To each his own.
And maybe I won't either after this one time. Who knows.

Thanks all for the help in squaring away my expectations.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

to each his own....there are lots of guys who love going out there
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And maybe I won't either after this one time. Who knows.

Thanks all for the help in squaring away my expectations.
MD...check your PM's.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
MD...check your PM's.
Thank you!!!! Exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it!

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you!!!! Exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it!
Glad it helped.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) I didn't endorse squat. I don't know anything about this place, other than that I've been asked to go by a local team.
2) I asked the original question to get feedback from people that had actually been there so that I know what to expect. All but 2 of the responses have helped me in that regard. The 2 that didn't? Yours. Sorry to waste your seemingly limited bandwidth, but this isn't Tim's forum - where only things Tim deems worthy of discussion may be discussed. It's an umpire forum - the thread was NOT a WOBW as I got from it exactly what I was hoping to get.
I enjoy working tournaments so I went last year simply for the experience. For me it was easy. I live 4 hours away so I drove and had access to my car.

I'm semi retired and only work a part time job so missing work was not an issue for me. The team paid me an amount which covered my travel expenses plus a little bit.

My biggest complaint was no AC in the bunkhouse, it was hot and it was difficult to sleep. The food was nothing to write home about but it was not bad.

The quality of the umpires ran from highly competent to those who would not survive in my association based on their appearance, mechanics, and rules knowledge. A bunch of older umpires who apparently didn't care about their appearance or performance who thought they were God's gifts to baseball really made me wary of ever working with these guys again. A true smitty haven.

Well, I enjoyed the experience, and I may go back in the future, but I haven't been able to tell my local associates that I "lowered" myself to do kiddie ball.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Since anyone can go.....what is the prestige in going.

If I am going to a place I am going to be losing money.....it will be a National Tournament.....not some LL wannabee championship.

Sorry.....JMHO......

Joel
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
Well, I enjoyed the experience, and I may go back in the future, but I haven't been able to tell my local associates that I "lowered" myself to do kiddie ball.
Your associates need to lighten up. Kiddies deserve having good umpires at their games, too.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker