The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I am umpiring at Cooperstown Dreams Park next week. Have any of you out there ever done it. Is there anything special I need to do/bring ???
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Try This

Try this link for information:

http://www.cooperstowndreamspark.com/umpire.html
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

What' the deal?

I am unsure what goes on there.
Is it a camp the you pay for or do they provide instruction for umpires that
offer their services for free? I didn't get much info out of the web site.
I know, for example, that the Orioles Fantacy camp alumni is playing there
in a few weeks. Would you umpire those games if you attended?

Buster
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'm back from CDP. It was a great experience. It is a weekly tournament of 12 year olds from all across the country and Canada. These kids can really play. They go by Major league rules (leading, Drop Third...). It was really great to see kids who really love the game.
The umpires also come from across the USA and Canada. Most were H.S. level umpires with a few Division I and another from the minor leagues. We got to do some 2, 3 and 4 man games. The camaraderie was terrific. We shared stories and expierences which I know will help me in the future. We reviewed proper mechanics. It's long days and short nights. You can umpire between 2 - 5 games a day.
You may be scheduled for 2 or 3 games a day, but they allow you to jump on with another 2 man crew and before you know it, you're a 3 or 4 man crew.
There are 10 fields and each one is a mini ballpark (lights, stands, dugouts). The fields are in great shape.
This is the Field Of Dreams for any 12 year old. Heck, it was for this 40 year old. It is located just a few miles from the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
I HIGHLY recommend it if you have a chance to participate. It made me remember that the game of BASEBALL is just that - It's only a GAME!!!
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Me too !

I went first week this year. EVERYONE that went wants to go again. Many have described its as one of the best weeks they've ever spent, baseball or otherwise.

You ump for free. They give you a bunk, food, 2 shirts, a jacket, adjustable cap, ball bag, American Youth Baseball HOF Jostens type ring, ticket to the 'real' HOF and they treat you well.

All in all the experience of the game being played by kids who eat, sleep and breath baseball and guys and gals who feel the same way about umpiring was something. Even the guys who have done minors, one who just got a profesional baseball call and NCAA D1 guys loved the experience.

Little old LL me felt out of his league the first night there but was quickly put at ease w/ all the guys. I gained alot of experience, knowledge and confidence from that tourney !

Highly recommended.

Bob Larson
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
. It made me remember that the game of BASEBALL is just that - It's only a GAME!!!
.................................................. .....

"Whoever wants to know the heart and mind
of America had better learn baseball, the
rules and realities of the game."

Jacques Barzun, Philosophy Professor

Sounds as though you really enjoyed yourself
DrC
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

So is this all free to the umpire in exchange for working the tournament, or is there a fee to attend?
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cooperstown was great. I was there June 16-22 this year. Hat, jacket, shirts, ball bag, room (barracks style) and board (cafeteria style), and a ticket to the Hall of Fame are all free of charge in exchange for umpiring for the week. I umped 19 games in 5 days - some 2 man, most three or four man.

This was the highlight of my 6 year career. The other "guest umpires" from all aroud the country were a lot of fun and were great to be partnered with.

Can't wait till I can come back next year.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

AAUA96 ! I figured out who you are... I was there the same week.

I thought I posted here asking but now I don't see the post.

Have you heard from Randy ? So far I've been in contact with 3 guys.

email me [email protected]

Bob
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Question for those of you who have attended this year.
How are the accomodations this year? (AC, still using plastic tub/footlockers, 20 guys to a bunkhouse or just 10)
I am heading out the last weekend of July (week 7) anybody else going then? Let me know. Thane
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thane,

No AC, they were supposed to get us fans but they never appeared, maybe they got them in the later weeks.

The footlockers are the same. Bring a lock, I had my brand new Bolle SES Rx glasses stolen.

The food is reportedly better. It wasn't bad. They fired the service they had and the dinner entrees are now Stoufers, they weren't bad. The eggs were still a little strange.

Days when I wasn't sure about dinner I got an extra sandwich at lunch.

I'm not sure if this was new but Golf Cart transport to and from all games.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

blarson,

Too bad about the AC. I was there last year so I have a lock already. Glad the food is a little better. They did give golfcart rides last year, but only if you were lucky enough to flag one down. Last year I went out and bought some tabasco sauce for the eggs, it helped a little bit.
It certainly is a great time, and the folks yu meet and work with are great. Looking forward to my turn in three weeks. However I don't think I will be able to talk the wife into letting me go again in 2002, so I will have to make the best of this trip.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

The first day transport was sporadic, but by the second day it was great. All you had to do was find someone w/ a radio, tell them you were an umpire and that you needed transport.

As for accomodations, Lou is envisioning having totally seperate umpire accomodations when he expands so maybe it will be better then. Still like you said its a great time.

Bob
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JJSUmpire Send a message via Yahoo to JJSUmpire
Smile

This was by far the best umpiring week of my life and is one of the best overall experiences (baseball and non) of my life. The food/lodging is not tremendous but who cares! The complex, the kids, the games, the umpires, the memories. It was a great week and I hope to do it again next season schedule permitting. What the HELL happened to Randy? He totally dropped the ball on the e-mail list.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
How does one go about gaining a chance to umpire in Cooperstown for this event? I probably need a few more years under my belt, but it'll be good to keep in mind.

P-Sz