The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Giants game obstruction (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92708-giants-game-obstruction.html)

Forest Ump Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:59am

Giants game obstruction

Who got obstruction on the SS here when Sandoval ran into him at 2nd? I didn't see the umpire signal anything in the actual game. It's hard to see in the video. It happens at 32 sec. I have obstruction and would protect Sandoval to 3rd if he needed it. Also, that bunt by Zito was just amazing.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25431899&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Rich Ives Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 859279)
Who got obstruction on the SS here when Sandoval ran into him at 2nd? I didn't see the umpire signal anything in the actual game. It's hard to see in the video. It happens at 32 sec. I have obstruction and would protect Sandoval to 3rd if he needed it. Also, that bunt by Zito was just amazing.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25431899&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

No way - no how - no place - no time.

Ball, fielder, runner arriving at basically the same time - train wreck. Remember that in the OBS rules in OBR the fielder can be in the act of fielding - he doesn't need to be in possession.

Forest Ump Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:42pm

Rich...I agree somewhat as I know the fielder can't just disappear after missing a chance to field the ball. However, I would still protect Sandoval if there was a close call at third. How could you not? He was clearly impeaded in his advancement.

Adam Sat Oct 20, 2012 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 859286)
Rich...I agree somewhat as I know the fielder can't just disappear after missing a chance to field the ball. However, I would still protect Sandoval if there was a close call at third. How could you not? He was clearly impeaded in his advancement.

So the fielder did nothing wrong but you're going to reward the runner anyway?

jicecone Sat Oct 20, 2012 01:39pm

A runner and a fielder doing what they are supposed to, play on.

dash_riprock Sat Oct 20, 2012 01:47pm

It's like a "tangle/untangle" play at the plate.

UmpTTS43 Sat Oct 20, 2012 02:08pm

Once a fielder is no longer in the act of fielding a ball, he has an obligation to give way to the runner and not obstruct him. In the play above, he did give way immediately after the fielding attempt/contact. The contact occured during the fielding attempt. Under no circumstances is this OBS.

GA Umpire Sat Oct 20, 2012 02:35pm

I don't have OBS and neither did U2 on it. While watching the game, several replays were shown and U2 was shown in one signaling safe (and probably saying "That's nothing") immediately after the contact and well after the ball was already in centerfield. It took a lot of replays to get one with U2 in it after the contact but he definitely signaled safe after the contact.

ozzy6900 Sat Oct 20, 2012 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 859286)

A train wreck is a train wreck. No one gets protected or penalized. If Sandoval didn't make it to 3rd, that's too bad. I understand what you are getting at but once you rule a train wreck, those feelings have to disappear.

Forest Ump Sun Oct 21, 2012 07:42pm

OK. I understand it better now. Thanks for clarifying.

Manny A Tue Oct 23, 2012 01:17pm

What if this had been a batted ball?

And the reason I ask is because I don't have any of my authoritative interpretations handy to look it up. But I thought I recall reading somewhere that if a fielder fails to field a batted ball and ends up in the runner's path, he could be held liable for obstruction. The example, if memory serves, is when a fielder is on the ground after diving and missing a batted ball, and the runner has to jump over him.

justacoach Tue Oct 23, 2012 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 859748)
What if this had been a batted ball?

And the reason I ask is because I don't have any of my authoritative interpretations handy to look it up. But I thought I recall reading somewhere that if a fielder fails to field a batted ball and ends up in the runner's path, he could be held liable for obstruction. The example, if memory serves, is when a fielder is on the ground after diving and missing a batted ball, and the runner has to jump over him.

Manny, can you PM me for old time's sake?
justacoach