The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Holiday Slide - Legal or Not?

MLB.com Must C | Must C Collision: Holliday slides into Scutaro - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
What say you? I am a Giants fan, so I will provide my biased, emotional opinion. Illegal slide, I have 2 outs.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Illegal slide in every level except this one. I, for one, wish MLB would adopt OBR rules. No, really - actually adopt them and not allow these kinds of collisions (both on DP's and on plate plays).

But in MLB, until things change - there was nothing wrong with this slide. Mattie gets one in the earhole next year, and we move on.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

At Babe Ruth and FED games, I'm calling an illegal slide. At MLB level, the pitcher drills him in the ribs the next day and we play on.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

In FED / NCAA games, this is a violation of the FPSR. First contact was made beyond the base.

But in MLB? It was a good, hard slide. And I disagree with the posts above -- nobody is going to take one in the ear hole for that slide. Those guys accept that it's the way the game's played.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
There is slim to none rule support to call this slide illegal, in MLB. The middle infielders know that there is a potential for contact on the double play, so they need to take some responsibility for avoiding getting hurt. When you stay on the bag, you risk getting hit. Did Holliday slide late, yes. Did he use a rolling body block in an attempt to break up the double play and take out the pivot man, yes. I do not believe it was malicious, with the intent to injure. IF we see this in NFHS/NCAA or any other level of amateur ball, we will call it.

As for 'putting one in his ear hole', that is not appropriate. There is a MAJOR difference between contact on a double play and hitting a batter intentionally with a pitch. Scutaro has a sore hip and leg, he played on, and got his revenge. Hitting someone with a baseball could end a career or worse.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post

As for 'putting one in his ear hole', that is not appropriate. There is a MAJOR difference between contact on a double play and hitting a batter intentionally with a pitch. Scutaro has a sore hip and leg, he played on, and got his revenge. Hitting someone with a baseball could end a career or worse.
I agree. I thought the Giant's response was perfect. Keep playing ball and let the bats do the talking.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In FED / NCAA games, this is a violation of the FPSR. First contact was made beyond the base.

But in MLB? It was a good, hard slide. And I disagree with the posts above -- nobody is going to take one in the ear hole for that slide. Those guys accept that it's the way the game's played.
NOT a violation in NCAA. In NCAA you can go straight through the base. There's a diagram illustrating it.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I agree. I thought the Giant's response was perfect. Keep playing ball and let the bats do the talking.
Perhaps. But players have long memories.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
NOT a violation in NCAA. In NCAA you can go straight through the base. There's a diagram illustrating it.
Yes, you can go through the base. But, you need to have a legal slide to do so. This wasn't (at that level).
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I'm not suggesting they do so (like they are listening to me anyway). But this is the common reply to a perceived dirty play. We'd have seen it last night if this was not a playoff game. I'm not advocating it, but I'm expecting it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True but the rolling over instead of remaining in a slide makes this no longer legal.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Force-play slide rule

It was an illegal side.
"Illegal slide (rule 2-32) Interpretation is that the runner must be able to reach the base with a hand or foot or it is interference. Can't roll block or throw cross body block "
View the slow-mo here
2012 MLB Postseason | NLCS Game 2: Cardinals on Holliday's slide - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
An obvious body block.
The base runner should have been ejected.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I love playoff time on the forum.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Anthony View Post
It was an illegal side.
"Illegal slide (rule 2-32) Interpretation is that the runner must be able to reach the base with a hand or foot or it is interference. Can't roll block or throw cross body block "
View the slow-mo here
2012 MLB Postseason | NLCS Game 2: Cardinals on Holliday's slide - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
An obvious body block.
The base runner should have been ejected.
Ejected? This isn't a kiddie game here.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Oh, there's a violation here. The path is the width of the base only and the contact is slightly to the left of the baseline -- with the contact occurring behind the base in this manner, I'm not giving the runner an inch of leeway. I'd call this in a heartbeat and feel quite good about it.