The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:39pm
In Time Out

Then again Hickcox sold the hell out of an out tag at home after the ball sailed over the catcher's head, and went to the backstop.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Agreed ... and I believe that we have to assume that the fact that he DID make a legitimate play on the runner (in time for the out, no less), he was in fact "close enough" to make such a play.
Uh, no. Did you see how far he had to move to make the play?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
NF = National Federation (as in ... "of High Schools") You've been here a while - very surprised you haven't seen that abbreviation.
Mike, don't let my Join Date fool you. As of until June or so, I hadn't visited this board for nearly five years.

I kinda figured that's what "NF" stood for. But since there are so many differences between OBR and FED when it comes to the balk rule, I didn't think what the big boys did on the pro field made much of an impact on high school umpires.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Uh, no. Did you see how far he had to move to make the play?
Yes I did. Quite a ways... but how could one say that he was too far away to make a legitimate play when he did, in fact, make and ACTUAL play?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Yes I did. Quite a ways... but how could one say that he was too far away to make a legitimate play when he did, in fact, make and ACTUAL play?
I think that's Matt's point. F3 couldn't make a play initially, which I believe is the thought behind the MLB guidance on balking this scenario. The moment F3 caught the ball, he still had to take two or three steps before he was close enough to make that actual play.

I mentioned an extreme example earlier, where F3 is playing way in for the bunt. If F1 throws to him, and then F3 has to run a significant distance to make the tag on R1, that would be a clear case where F3 wasn't initially positioned to make a play on R1.

On the play in question, F3 was much closer to R1 than in my example. But he still had to move an appreciable distance to make the tag attempt (which, if memory serves, is required to be considered a "play"). That's enough to judge that F3 wasn't in position to make a play when he received the ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Make UP Call?

Sheesh, those umpires erred. That was not a balk. Both are BAD calls and embarrassing to the profession.

Of course, I didn't hear the word protest come UP, so I guess I can't lean on the umpires too hard.

Here's a balk: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3287297

Last edited by SAump; Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 12:41am.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Sheesh, those umpires erred. That was not a balk.

No wonder, they made up for it when Peavy balks during a first to third move in another thread.

Both are BAD calls and embarrassing to the profession.

Of course, I didn't hear the word protest come UP, so I guess I can't lean on the umpires too hard.

Just to get my point across, would you balk the center fielder if he ran into second base in an attempt to pick off the only runner from second base and the pitcher threw him the ball before he stepped into the infield and he tagged the runner out?
Nope. I only balk pitchers.

Rita
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 06:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Sheesh, those umpires erred. That was not a balk.

No wonder, they made up for it when Peavy balks during a first to third move in another thread.

Both are BAD calls and embarrassing to the profession.

Just to get my point across, would you balk the center fielder if he ran into second base in an attempt to pick off the only runner from second base and the pitcher threw him the ball before he stepped into the infield and he tagged the runner out?
It's amazing how much this post comes across as completely clueless. There is quite a difference between throwing to first and throwing to any other base.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Clueless Ump?

In the umpires judgement, the throw was off line. In the umpires judgement, there was no play being made at first base.

The first baseman may play off the bag within the cutout. It also qualifies as within proximity of the base. The first baseman may play in front or beside the runner. The first baseman may stand still or flat footed before the throw to screen the runner and he may step back to first (2 steps) ahead of the runner. This is a legal pick off attempt. Get it right next time!

Last edited by SAump; Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 09:51pm.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's amazing how much this post comes across as completely clueless. There is quite a difference between throwing to first and throwing to any other base.
There's a reason for the ignore list.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 08:29am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
There's a reason for the ignore list.
He can't use that anymore.