The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 02:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

What Was He Thinking??

U1 has a brain cramp?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SF@ARI: Umpires change call on Goldschmidt's grounder - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Sorry, but I don't know how to embed videos.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 02:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Maybe he thought it was foul because PU was signaling foul.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 04:01pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Maybe he thought it was foul because PU was signaling foul.
Not sure where you see that, dash. He's signaling fair in every clip in this link.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 05:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Not your typical brain fart. He had crap running out his ears on this one.

Wake up for Pete's sake.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Not sure where you see that, dash. He's signaling fair in every clip in this link.
Better view here. The one I looked at had a weak fair point (at about 1:10) and I couldn't see the right hand. I don't know if the right hand came up and confused U1 into thinking PU was calling it foul. In any event, it's not a good job by either PU, U1 or both.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Sep 26, 2012 at 05:16pm.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 06:33pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
In any event, it's not a good job by either PU, U1 or both.
No disputing that.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Why do opposing coaches come out to argue on calls reversed when they know darn well the right call was made?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Why do opposing coaches come out to argue on calls reversed when they know darn well the right call was made?
I wonder if it is to get IR and making these scenes is the way to do it. Then, when reviewed, no doubt and there is video to prove it. I don't know.

First, they want the umpires to make their calls and stick with it. Then, they want IR/group hugging to confirm/deny the call if it goes their way.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Just cuz, I suppose. Gibson probably wanted clarification why U1 initially made a safe call. Either his runner was out if the ball was fair, or he should have returned home to bat if it was foul. The safe mechanic was totally wrong and Gibson wanted to let the umpires know that.

What I don't understand is that if U1 thought the ball was initially foul, why didn't he change his call to out when he checked with the PU? There was no reason, in my mind, to have the four-man group grope that lasted over a minute. What in the world did U1 need help with?

Oh, wait a minute. I just thought of something. Perhaps U1 is a softball umpire, and when he saw the PU put his right arm out, maybe he thought U1 was signalling catcher's obstruction (that's what softball rules call catcher's interference). So maybe that's why he signaled safe, since the penalty for catcher's obstruction is to award the batter first base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
The bottom line is this

Bud Seileg needs to get his head out of his you know what and simply adopt replay.

IR will not slow the game down. In fact it might even speed-up the game. Look what happened here.

We had the umpires huddle which took time. Then we had a call reversal. Then an ensuing argument by the D-backs manager.

IR clearly showed the runner out and would have saved 5 minutes or so.

Also, FWIW there needs to be some accountability for umpires at the professional level but unfortunately MLB dosn't care. They do not take part in the development of umpires. It looks like U1 was asleep, then all of a sudden he said to himself "oh s**t I have to make a call"

Pete Booth
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think U1 saw the PU's left arm pointing fair and thought his other arm was up and he was calling it foul. I think the runner blocked him from seeing the other arm and whether or not it was in the air. Of course there should have been a verbal cue to go along with the arms in the air if the PU was calling it foul. Just a theory.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 03:04pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I think U1 saw the PU's left arm pointing fair and thought his other arm was up and he was calling it foul. I think the runner blocked him from seeing the other arm and whether or not it was in the air. Of course there should have been a verbal cue to go along with the arms in the air if the PU was calling it foul. Just a theory.
If U1 thought the PU signaled Foul, he had no business making a safe call at first base.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If U1 thought the PU signaled Foul, he had no business making a safe call at first base.
Clear example of a "Brain Fart".

"Why do opposing coaches come out to argue on calls reversed when they know darn well the right call was made?"

They have to stand up for their players because, someone once said your supposed to, or the players will laugh at you in the showers and make you cry.