The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Wow, WoW, WOW! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92355-wow-wow-wow.html)

blueump Fri Sep 07, 2012 07:33pm

Wow, WoW, WOW!

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@MIA: Marlins broadcast explains odd scoring play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

APG Fri Sep 07, 2012 07:43pm

Embed is your friend:

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=24470713&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

BigUmp56 Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03pm

Which is more surprising; Emmel not immediately realizing this was a force play, or the announcers thinking it was a tag play.........

Tim.

BSUmp16 Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 853617)
Which is more surprising; Emmel not immediately realizing this was a force play, or the announcers thinking it was a tag play.........

Tim.

Technically, it's not a "force play" at first. It's a missed base appeal. And my understanding is that if the B/R does not successfully acquire 1B as the third out, no run scores. Basically, the B/R must occupy 1B or any runners advancing on the play do not score.

Welpe Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37am

Did they end up scoring the run or wiping it?

dash_riprock Sat Sep 08, 2012 06:39am

No run.

jicecone Sat Sep 08, 2012 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 853629)
Technically, it's not a "force play" at first. It's a missed base appeal. And my understanding is that if the B/R does not successfully acquire 1B as the third out, no run scores. Basically, the B/R must occupy 1B or any runners advancing on the play do not score.

Exactly continuing action at first still treated as appeal of missed base, therefore no run should be scored.

There is no such thing as a force play at first base. There is no such thing as a force play at first base. There is no such thing as a force play at first base.There is no such thing as a force play at first base.

There is no such thing as a force play at first base.

Altor Sat Sep 08, 2012 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 853614)
Embed is your friend:

The embedded videos are too small and don't allow me to watch it "full screen." For this video, it's probably alright. But, when I'm looking for details on close plays, I prefer the original links over the embedded video.

Rita C Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 853647)
The embedded videos are too small and don't allow me to watch it "full screen." For this video, it's probably alright. But, when I'm looking for details on close plays, I prefer the original links over the embedded video.

Click on it after it starts playing. It will come up at the original site.

At least it did for me.

Rita

Rita C Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:27am

I wonder if the professionals read these kinds of forums. I'm not saying that we know more than they do. It's just that all kinds of screwy situations happen out there in our games that are rare in theirs. If they read about them, they might be more ready to rule confidently when something screwy happens in their games.

I don't know how often I've been prepared when something odd came up that I had already read about.

Rita

MrUmpire Sat Sep 08, 2012 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 853671)
I wonder if the professionals read these kinds of forums.
Rita

I think the odds are slim. Would you frequent a board or consider it very very credible, when, more often than not, you and your partners are criticized as much when you are right as when you are not?

Do you remember the treatment Rob Drake got here when he posted?

MD Longhorn Sat Sep 08, 2012 03:57pm

Look at 0:24. U1 is asked a question and responds with the word, "force" - guess he has forgotten too.

maven Sat Sep 08, 2012 07:23pm

The umpires got it correct: no run scores. It's not a force play, and "continuing action" is irrelevant.

The BR acquired 1B when he passed it, but acquiring it is not sufficient to score the run. He must touch it.

4.09a:
One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first,
second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.
EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a
play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first
base
; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is
declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

johnnyg08 Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38pm

Quote:

Embed is your friend:

I agree!!

blueump Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22pm

Quote:

Embed is your friend:

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=24470713&width=400&height=22 4&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Not every device allows you to embed a video. My cell phone does not. Sorry to inconvenience you, causing you to have to spend so much time clicking an external link. I'm sure it was difficult for you and took a lot of extra time with having to move your mouse and click at the same time.

Next time feel free to ignore the link.