The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

PONY Bronco district all-stars, we got dead-ball areas by the dugouts, and a brick wall facing.R2, br hits to f6, f6 throws to f3, ball ricochets off f3's glove and hits dba then pops back into field of play off wall.I was on the dish and did not see, was checking r2 rounding third, r2 ends up getting hosed at the plate, I signal out. Offensive manager asks for time and tells me ball went into DBA, I check with pard and he says yes it went dead, but came right back out, so he did not kill it.Oh boy, I nullify the out, score the run and leave br at second.Defensive manager is livid, I explain that I feel his point is valid, but because the ball "came right back" does not circumvent the rule, he's not happy, teams getting it handed to them also.

Between innings he comes out to me, "The first base coach is not in full uniform, he doesn't have a hat on" I respond with, " you are gonna pick that booger??" He was adamant, got the PONY field director to handle this one....homey musta been really pissed.....
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Between innings he comes out to me, "The first base coach is not in full uniform, he doesn't have a hat on" I respond with, " you are gonna pick that booger??" He was adamant, got the PONY field director to handle this one....homey musta been really pissed.....

The desperate are a sad bunch...aren't they?
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
DBA & Coaches Not In Uniform

Shouldn't the overthrow of first-base that goes into dead ball area be the PU's call? If so, considering he saw it enter DBA and come back on the field, shouldn't he have reversed his call rather than you as BU making a corrected call? Was it an experience thing?

I officiate in a number of leagues, including Connie Mack, where coaches are supposed to be in full uniform. Not sure what PONY requires or what your local league dictates but you can try preventative umpiring by asking up front why a coach is not in uniform. Sometimes the only requirement is that the umpires "report" the uniform violation. If most coaches ARE in full uniform then the coach in your situation has a point albeit he may just be being a hard *** about it. I would tell him I will take care of it and try to avoid an argument but I might point out any players with mis-matched under sleeves or hats that aren't consistent or coaches that stray out of the coaches box.

I guess the point is that coaches in uniform may be a local thing that needs to be treated in different ways. Your reply indicated to me that it was a purely technical thing. Yet, the league seems to make it a mandatory requirement. What do other local umpires do regarding coaches out of uniform? Jim / NYC
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

in Richmond, Va, our associations which make up our leagues, are very diverse. We have inner city, the rich kids, and regular joe's kid! So we have some teams with Pinstripes, while others will have the silkscreen printed tshirts. All in all, its a matter of cost. Usually season to season, coaches SHOULD have atleast one team shirt. This is usually a Polo Shirt.

The only time I have said anything is when a coach (who I haven't seen before) is not wearing ANY coaching attire, and assumes the role of a coach. This is mainly because we are told to look out for potential threats to the children, since ALL coaches and staff are given police background checks prior to coaching, which I can understand.

So all in all, its a case by case basis. The only thing NOT allowed is work clothes.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: DBA & Coaches Not In Uniform

Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
Shouldn't the overthrow of first-base that goes into dead ball area be the PU's call? If so, considering he saw it enter DBA and come back on the field, shouldn't he have reversed his call rather than you as BU making a corrected call? Was it an experience thing?

I had R2 going around third and coming home, BU had the play at first, he's got the ball. Pard was second year kid, as there really was no"call" to be changed, rather a misapplication of a rule, as UIC, I stepped up and fixedit.

I officiate in a number of leagues, including Connie Mack, where coaches are supposed to be in full uniform. Not sure what PONY requires or what your local league dictates but you can try preventative umpiring by asking up front why a coach is not in uniform. Sometimes the only requirement is that the umpires "report" the uniform violation. If most coaches ARE in full uniform then the coach in your situation has a point albeit he may just be being a hard *** about it. I would tell him I will take care of it and try to avoid an argument but I might point out any players with mis-matched under sleeves or hats that aren't consistent or coaches that stray out of the coaches box.

I guess the point is that coaches in uniform may be a local thing that needs to be treated in different ways. Your reply indicated to me that it was a purely technical thing. Yet, the league seems to make it a mandatory requirement. What do other local umpires do regarding coaches out of uniform? Jim / NYC
PONY sanctioned tourneys require coaches in full uniform, opposing coach complained, I went to field director and let him handle this. The field directors are there for this type of stuff, they do all equiptment checks and such....
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Re: Re: DBA & Coaches Not In Uniform

That's what the TD and etc live for.

Let them handle the dress code and the precoaches meeting.

Our best interest is to handle the game.

My question would be if he was out of uniform before the contest, why not get the TD or whoever is in charge involved then?

Or it could be a local thing, many have no criteria for coaches.

As for the call, why should he be livid?

That's an easy call that probably was disussed in pregame or pretourney meetings.

Instead of calling it boogers though, you might get a better response by simply stating the rule says ...

Tournaments bring out the best of them all (g)

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

When you mean "full" uniform? Do you mean they can't even wear a "coach uniform" or does it have to be identical to the player's uniform (i.e. pinstripes and all) ? I can understand either way, since its in the OBR (I think I read it there). But just curious.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf986
When you mean "full" uniform? Do you mean they can't even wear a "coach uniform" or does it have to be identical to the player's uniform (i.e. pinstripes and all) ? I can understand either way, since its in the OBR (I think I read it there). But just curious.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`
Same as players, I live in a pretty affluent area(and VERY expensive) these all-star teams buy new uniforms with the names on the back etc every year. Even the "B" teams get em, 100 plus bucks and some teams go 2 and out....
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. Thats pretty impressive. The kids over here get new all-star shirts, but they are some pretty rinky dinky things also.