The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Roger Clemens pitches Saturday

For the Sugarland Skeeters.

Anyone know if this would move off his "retirement" such that it changes his 1st year of HOF eligibility?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 01:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

I saw that on the Skeeter's FB Page. Got to love indepedent baseball.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Baseballhall.org says "Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball."

I'm pretty sure the Skeeters are not considered to be in the Major Leagues.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently they don't have a PED testing policy, either...
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 08:03am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Baseballhall.org says "Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball."

I'm pretty sure the Skeeters are not considered to be in the Major Leagues.
Obviously not. But there is speculation that Clemens is using this as a first step into getting back on the mound, perhaps with the Houston Astros, for a MLB game this year. That would push his HOF eligibility another five years down the road so that maybe, just maybe, sentiments on players suspected of using PEDs during their careers will have changed amongst sportswriters.

Can't blame him for trying. And as bad as the Astros are this year, they really have nothing to lose. The real question is whether or not they would welcome Clemens to the team if it's obvious why he wants to pitch again. And if they agree, I can already hear Bud Selig and company...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 08:17am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Apparently they don't have a PED testing policy, either...
Is Geritol considered a PED these days?
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But there is speculation that Clemens is using this as a first step into getting back on the mound, perhaps with the Houston Astros, for a MLB game this year.
How sad. The Brett Favre of MLB.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously not. But there is speculation that Clemens is using this as a first step into getting back on the mound, perhaps with the Houston Astros, for a MLB game this year. That would push his HOF eligibility another five years down the road so that maybe, just maybe, sentiments on players suspected of using PEDs during their careers will have changed amongst sportswriters.

Can't blame him for trying. And as bad as the Astros are this year, they really have nothing to lose. The real question is whether or not they would welcome Clemens to the team if it's obvious why he wants to pitch again. And if they agree, I can already hear Bud Selig and company...
He would obviously be welcome to the team - they supported him throughout the entire legal process.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Good for Clemens. If he still wants to play baseball, and he's useful to someone, let him do it. Life is a verb. Time doesn't go backwards. He might regret not trying.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:13am
In Time Out

Quote:

Clemens should be like Palmeiro. Innocent or guilty, he didn't whine. He told his story which is believeable considering the morals of Tejada. He lives locally where I do, and walks with his head held high. He has always been active in the local baseball community. He just simply tailored his swing to the home run porches in Texas and Baltimore. He wasn't blasting them over 400 ft. like the others.

The beauty about umpiring is getting to talk to the old scouts that pop up around from time to time. They know the real thing when they see it.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Good for Clemens. If he still wants to play baseball, and he's useful to someone, let him do it. Life is a verb. Time doesn't go backwards. He might regret not trying.
Lovely sentiment. They guy's 50, and he's no Jamie Moyer. Sad.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And as bad as the Astros are this year, they really have nothing to lose. The real question is whether or not they would welcome Clemens to the team if it's obvious why he wants to pitch again. And if they agree, I can already hear Bud Selig and company...
I think the Astros would do it in a heartbeat just for the ticket sales alone. And it seems to me that Selig can't do anything about it if he tried.

Quote:
I agree with this...if he wants to play and someone is willing to have him on their team, then good for him and he shouldn't stop playing unless it's on his terms or no one wants to take him anymore.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Gimme a break. He hasn't thrown a pitch in professional ball at any level since the ALDS in 2007. If he really still wanted to play, he would've joined an independent league well before five years after his last appearance.

The timing of it all just doesn't give me the impression that he's doing this for love of the game. Sounds like it's more for love of Roger.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:

The timing of it all just doesn't give me the impression that he's doing this for love of the game. Sounds like it's more for love of Roger.
Exactly. He is trying to get the public sentiment vote out. Plus in the end, Andy Pettite showed he lacked the balls to tell the truth also. Their whole case was against Brian McNamee's credibility.

I hope the liars get kept out of the HOF for many years to come.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gimme a break. He hasn't thrown a pitch in professional ball at any level since the ALDS in 2007. If he really still wanted to play, he would've joined an independent league well before five years after his last appearance.
This might be the dumbest thing I've read in weeks. You are aware that he's been a little busy these past 4 years?

West Houston Mike