The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   MLB umpire has friendship bracelet removed (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92244-mlb-umpire-has-friendship-bracelet-removed.html)

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 24, 2012 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 852430)
It is a business, they can do whatever they want in their business. If leagues can tell players what they can or cannot wear out of uniform, then baseball players can be told what they can wear while in uniform. This is not nearly as restrictive as other pro sports. They can get over it.

Peace

Absolutely they can... doesn't make it less stupid.

JRutledge Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 852471)
Absolutely they can... doesn't make it less stupid.

Well that is an opinion and a subjective one at that. And I doubt honestly they care what we think anyway.

Peace

CT1 Sat Aug 25, 2012 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 852519)
Well that is an opinion and a subjective one at that. And I doubt honestly they care what we think anyway.

As we are "consumers" of MLB, they are certainly concerned. Who do you think pays their salaries?

JRutledge Sun Aug 26, 2012 02:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 852536)
As we are "consumers" of MLB, they are certainly concerned. Who do you think pays their salaries?

I do not think if a player has a friendship bracelet or not is going to make people in droves start or stop going to games or watching on TV. So I am sure they are not concerned with the public on this very specific issue if they have a rule or not.

Peace

CT1 Sun Aug 26, 2012 06:53am

And I am just as sure that if the viewing public perceives MLB to be as stupid in other, more important areas as they are in this specific instance, ratings (and thus advertising dollars) will decline.

Personally, I boycotted my favorite team's telecast last Thursday because of this very issue. (The fact that they played on the West Coast & it was past my bedtime anyway had nothing to do with it!)

JRutledge Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 852546)
And I am just as sure that if the viewing public perceives MLB to be as stupid in other, more important areas as they are in this specific instance, ratings (and thus advertising dollars) will decline.

Personally, I boycotted my favorite team's telecast last Thursday because of this very issue. (The fact that they played on the West Coast & it was past my bedtime anyway had nothing to do with it!)

Considering that I have not heard one person outside of this forum even discuss this situation, I doubt seriously it is that big of a deal. It is a bigger deal to us because we umpire and deal with certain rules. To the rest of the public, they probably did not even know this happen and baseball anyway does a bad job marketing their sport anyway and this is not going to change as a result of someone wearing or not wearing a bracelet.

Peace

CT1 Sun Aug 26, 2012 02:52pm

"If you take care of the small things, the big things take care of themselves." -- Emily Dickinson

blueump Sun Aug 26, 2012 06:03pm

I doubt it was a directive from the front office or it would have taken place earlier in the game. This incident took place in the second inning, a full inning after Dickey had already pitched with the bracelets on!

This was something that was done by the umpire crew at that specific game. I just wish they'd spend as much time scrutinizing the outs calls they've been making when the player doesn't even have the ball!

Steven Tyler Sun Aug 26, 2012 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueump (Post 852564)
I doubt it was a directive from the front office or it would have taken place earlier in the game. This incident took place in the second inning, a full inning after Dickey had already pitched with the bracelets on!

This was something that was done by the umpire crew at that specific game. I just wish they'd spend as much time scrutinizing the outs calls they've been making when the player doesn't even have the ball!

This situation reminds me of the umpires that said they would carry magic markers to blacken out the label of a glove to cover up the white so it wouldn't be an "illegal" glove. Overkill to the max.