Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink justa wondering...

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
I use the helmet style. I like the vision. imho it gives you a better view than the traditional style, and i feel it offers better protection. I will still remove it though as if I were wearing the traditional.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
I heard through the ol men, (ASA ol guys)that if you wear a helmet, you must have a cap underneath??Whats the deal mr ASA certified???
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
NCAA requires a cap under the helmet,as for all other codes I dont know. Most places it is probably the opinion of the assingor or state association. I myself do wear a cap under it. Unless specifically told not to
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, we aren't allowed, in our association to be on the field without a hat. Thats why I have a Combo hat. But what i've actually noticed is that, a Beanie cap (2 or 4 stitch)...they are not so easily "thrown off" the head. Fortunately I get a traditional "high and tight"...so knotty hair isn't a concern
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a Honigs single bar that I absolutely love. Dumped my +POS SUL for it. I bought the red frame for $14 just to see if I'd like it. Sure do.

I also have an All Star umpire helmet. I usually reserve it for backstops that have an overhang, but I forgot yesterday. Clank! At least I didn't hit the little metal button!

I can wear a full bill cap with a mask and keep it on. Lots of practice. But not the helmet. And I will NOT wear those beanie bill hats. I remember what Jimmy Dugan called an umpire wearing one of those, and don't need that visual.

I echo the others about buying the best gear possible. I sold all my rookie year stuff on ebay this summer to clear the garage for the good gear. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 07:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I have both -- an All-Star helmet and a WV mask. I wear both about equally deciding which to wear depending on my mood.

I work baseball only and I would NEVER wear a hat under the helmet. I work in an area without "associations" and assign all my games directly so I have a hard time believing someone could possibly be so anal about uniforms. I've worked HS, College and summer baseball with the helmet -- it's simply not made to be used with a hat, although that's why I don't use the helmet 100% -- sometimes I'd rather go with the hat/mask cause the helmet is quite a bit hotter.

I wear an 8-stitch hat behind the plate. I hate the combo hats on the bases and I'd rather not have to order two different length bills, so I got used to taking the mask off over an 8-stitch. Out and THEN up and you can get a mask off over any hat. Just remember -- don't duck your head down when removing your mask cause you could miss something while your head is pointed down.

Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

http://www.honigs.com/store/shop.mpl?Cat=19,36&Item=398